The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#43175 - 07/07/05 10:05 PM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
Casual_Hero Offline

Loc: England & Saudi Arabia
Things coming out over here:
Conditions were apparently dark, hot, smoky/sooty. Electricity powering the carriages went out (which prevented a lot of electrocutions from live rails). Mobile phone (cell) networks collapsed (although there are rumours the Government shut them down to prevent mobile-triggered bombs from detonating.)

One of the main things coming out is that those (few) people who had handkerchiefs/scarfs and 'key-ring' torches were in a lot better position than most people. There are reports of injuries from people smashing carriage windows / doors BY HAND.

I think the lesson is don't leave home without that 'don't leave home without it kit'.

#43176 - 07/08/05 12:08 AM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
bones Offline
journeyman

Loc: Western / Central Australia
So anyone considering adding a glass cutter or punch for train windows to their EDC ?

#43177 - 07/08/05 12:25 AM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
On those space blankets: With that many injured people, the medical people are going to give priority to the ones most OBVIOUSLY injured. There can be others who are just as badly injured, but it's not as visible. Shock caused by injury can cause changes in body temp and blood pressure to the extent that people can die fairly quickly. I'm sure that the overextended medical people on site gave as many blankets out as they had available, just in case.

The worst adrenaline high I came down from was when I was on nitrous oxide at the dentist, and apparently they ran out of oxygen in the companion tank. I had trouble breathing, then started gasping because I wasn't getting air. A few minutes later I was shaking and cold. (BTW, you've never seen all that apparatus removed from a mouth so fast -- really!)

And sometimes, a blankie is just nice to have. Ask Linus.

Sue

#43178 - 07/08/05 12:56 AM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I've taking mass transit in Boston and in NYC, I go the distinct impression that it was plexiglass or lexan, not glass-glass, in the buses and trains. If it is glass, it is definantly a laminant.

A glass cutter works if you score side A and tap side B. Not going to work in this case. And the punches I've seen all say they won't do so much on laminants and polycarbonates. I'd say the pocket pry bars, like a wonderbar or maybe a prybaby, might be more useful. (More so than the pocket wrench.) Problem is, if you get spot checked, it might get classed as a burglers tool and probable cause, but I'd risk it if I was there.

What I'd really want was my 12" flatbar, and some room to swing it, along with a closequarter hacksaw and some good gloves, but that would be slow. And if you dont' need that type of thing, why bother?

Although, if it is lexan or plexi, you might have decently luck if you drive the tip of the pliers of a mulittool through, then get out the saw. But by that time, you'd be the only person on there. I bet the doors failsafe to an open, or at least unpressurized and thus easy to pry open with your hands, condition.

#43179 - 07/08/05 12:56 AM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

Quote:
So anyone considering adding a glass cutter or punch for train windows to their EDC ?

Nope. I already carry a short titanium prybar in my kit which I consider provides a superset of functionality and in a pinch, my flashlight or multitool could do in a pinch.

However, consider laminated glass may be involved. My guess is to smash and then cut it with a knife. I suspect this should work (assuming sturdy blade), but would probably be really hard on the knife.

Worse, plexiglass. Very problematic if mounted well. Hmm...

-john

#43180 - 07/08/05 12:57 AM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Yeah that's what I figured. It seems they use space blankets to prevent some symptoms associated with post-traumatic shock. Not only hypothermia.

#43181 - 07/08/05 01:33 AM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
bones Offline
journeyman

Loc: Western / Central Australia
All power except emergency lights was cut. People reported smashing windows to exit the trains, wouldn't imagine they'd do that if the doors were openable. Good points on the laminate though - that's why I asked, I knew you guys would have some good intel.

#43182 - 07/08/05 01:36 AM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

Surpried- I would have figured that in a power failure, the doors would be able to be pushed open, just as a fire safety measure. *shrugs* All the pnuematic doors and magnetic looks I've been around had that feature, I figured it was just good common sense and standard engineering.

#43183 - 07/08/05 02:18 AM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Here's another one-time-use smoke hood product. Packed size: 6" x 5" x 1/2". Purportedly provides 20 minutes breathable air.

Edited by xbanker (07/08/05 02:28 AM)

#43184 - 07/08/05 02:46 AM Re: terrorism in London & urban survival
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
I carry a Vaughan mini bar with just the hooked end cut off. It makes a great EDC bar and is almost flat. Fits in my Leatherman sheath perfectly

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.