The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#4306 - 04/01/02 01:17 AM Re: nails and awls
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Chris<br><br>For those of us who are perhaps less anthropologically attuned than you, and possibly even a little mechanically challenged, could you provide a little more detail on the mechanics of button-making. I assume the idea is to use a bow & drill to power the sand granule. But how do you drill precisely in one spot? What holds the granule in place? An so on?<br><br>As I think about it, a nail turned by a bow & drill would probably make a good expedient drill. <br><br>By the way, I misplaced the stone tablet containing the hunting regs on T-Rex. What's the bag & possession limit this year? And have they finally legalized the sling & rock for Pterodactyls?<br><br>John

#4307 - 04/01/02 04:57 AM Re: nails and awls
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Im a medium knife man myself. And that, dear people is the bold, middle of the road that goes nowhere ( and is filled with yellow stripes and dead skunks) of California politics. This belongs in the Campfire Forum-oops!

#4308 - 04/01/02 05:11 AM Re: nails and awls
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Buttons are probably an extreme example, and hopefully we have a few in our sewing kit. A nail can be used to simply punch holes, such as a heavy tarp or leather. To drill a needed hole ( such as in wood, bone or shell) the square shape of a horshoe nail gives a chisel edge. Peoples of the southwest actually used cactus needles. the sand is merely a abrasive, much like lapping compound. This is definitely a labor and time intensive method. Perhaps a small modeller's drill ( Im thinking of the impact ratcheting version) is worth inclusion in a larger gearkit? As to T-REX I must beg off. I had the distastefull duty of shooting a dangerous coyote today. My Dine' friend has to rebalance me with the universe :O(

#4309 - 04/01/02 05:44 AM Re: nails and awls
Anonymous
Unregistered

One of the sewing needles in your kit would do just fine for drilling in most substances - hope you have more than one. You could probalby just twiddle it in your fingers. I have drilled shell in just a couple of minutes using a chert drill in this manner. Actually if I had to improvise a button type fastener, I think I would go for some sort of toggle and loop gadget,since I might be able to fabricate it more easily out of what I am likely to have handy.

#4310 - 04/01/02 03:53 PM Re: nails and awls
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
The hunting regs on T-Rex have eased up in recent years becasue of the sucess of the "catch and release" program. (doesn't that produce an interesting image in one's noggin'?)

#4311 - 04/01/02 05:43 PM Re: nails and awls
Anonymous
Unregistered

Personally, I want to meet the professional guides and look over THEIR equipment. :-)<br>

#4312 - 04/02/02 08:33 AM Re: nails and awls
jet Offline
Enthusiast

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>An uncle of mine maintained that there was one key indicator as to whether an area was truly habitable by humans- the presence of palm trees. His position was that if palm trees wouldn't grow there, no reasonable person would want to live there either.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Oh, man! LOL!<br><br>Would you mind if I used that as a sig line?

#4313 - 04/02/02 11:28 AM Re: nails and awls
Anonymous
Unregistered

Of course, you may use it however you like. I'm sure he'd be pleased.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.