Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#42126 - 06/29/05 10:19 AM Re: Is our motto "Be un-Prepared"?
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Mike,

I like that technique. I wouldn't mind trying something like with our troop this summer.

Tom,

In looking over your paraphernalia, I realize one thing we have neglected is the light stoves. I think I've found our next theme after we finish our map and compass work. I also need to work on my motivational skills.

I'm afraid to even think about that Eagle Court until he finishes up all of his post-project paperwork and gotten all of his tributes and trinkets. We haven't even started on his book yet. After that, I'll kick back and start dreaming. Fortunately he is diligent about those things. I imagine our ceremony will come this fall.

Guys, thanks a lot for the ideas.

John

#42127 - 06/29/05 12:42 PM Re: Brennan Hawkins (Utah Scout) has been found
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
Quote:
I definitely had to grin when I heard that the kid actually got off the trail when the SAR folks came close to him!

Me too. My wife and I laughed at that. The kid behaved moronically.

I heard his dad talk about "stranger danger" with no mention of any exceptions. Idiot.

Then I sang "Secret Agent Man," but substituted "Stranger Danger."

The dad needs to be spanked.

-- Craig

#42128 - 06/29/05 07:35 PM Re: Adventures and Bugs
Anonymous
Unregistered

The bug problem's usually worse after a light winter, some of the problem may have to do with the resurgence of wildlife, other than that, I'm out of theories... although, ticks tend to be heavier around paths/roadways, CO from passing air-burners (us, other animals, and yes, cars) tend to draw them there, tall grass/weeds make it easier for them to hitch a ride than short-cut lawns. That's about all that comes to mind right now, good luck avoiding the creepy little buggers, when ever I find one, I tend to have the "creeping itch" for about 2 days, can't stand them either.

Troy

#42129 - 06/29/05 10:57 PM Re: Is our motto "Be un-Prepared"?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tom,

Would you post a list of what you have your kids carry?

#42130 - 06/30/05 04:27 AM Re: Is our motto "Be un-Prepared"?
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Tom said they carry the scout essentials plus some extra.
I know the scout outdoor essentials are as follows:
Pocket knife
First Aid Kit
Extra Clothing
Rain Gear
Water Bottle
Flashlight
Trail food
Matches and fire starters
Sun protection
Map and Compass

#42131 - 06/30/05 06:19 AM Re: Is our motto "Be un-Prepared"?
Anonymous
Unregistered

That dosn't seem like much to ask.

#42132 - 07/01/05 01:59 AM Re: Is our motto "Be un-Prepared"?
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Yep, that's the short list found on page 207 of the 11th edition of The Boy Scout Handbook. Before and after that page are brief and informative enough descriptions/discussion of each of the items, plus some discussion of the major alternatives for some items, such as different raingear types. I would add that the book also says to carry these things in a daypack or fanny pack ("bum pack" to our cousins who speak a similar language).

They all add a BSA Hot Spark, either a small or regular Altouds tin full of cotton balls impregnated with vasoline (most also have about a tablespoon of extra vasoline tucked in one corner), sealed with ranger bands, three pieces of fat wood about fat-pencil thick and 3-4" long (and the smart ones pre-split one of those into tooth-pick diameters). Some also carry a tin of char cloth that doubles as a charring tin. They all have a small sewing kit, and some have expanded that a little into a proper repair kit. Many carry a small stove (Esbit or pop can) and those that do also carry a US-issue canteen cup, a Nalgene bottle canteen cup, or (a few) a Sierra cup. Some of them are starting to carry a gas stove (not gasoline), but I'm extremely non-committal about that in a Ready Pack, because it starts kicking up the bulk, weight, and cost. (OTOH, I'm about to require a windscreen for the stove owners, which costs little or nothing and really ups the effectiveness of an Esbit or pop can stove a lot) Many of them have an additional FC rod of some sort (the mag-bar + FC combo is slightly popular, even tho I have little use for it myself). Several carry a small sharpening stone that has never been used oiled. Oh - a sit pad. Some of them forget to transfer the sit pad from backpack to Ready Pack but that corrects itself quickly if the ground is wet and/or cold - I don't fuss over it. Sit pads range from an odd scrap of sleeping pad to a cut-to-pad-and-stiffen the old bookbag to hand-sewn coated ripstop nylon covered batting (cute, but not my favorite) to a USPS Tyvek envelope stuffed with a couple of layers of corrugated cardboard and sealed shut. Umm... cordage! They all are supposed to keep 4ea 8'-12' lengths of either 550 cord or braided polyester cord, but those seem to be "consumable" at this age, so... as long as a Scout has at least one hank, I don't do much more than remind them and frown a little. Ummm - homemade flat pack of duct tape, about 8' of tightly rolled orange plastic surveyor's tape - OMG, I almost forgot the most important item: TP in a ziplock! I swear... this all reminds me it's time to have the PLC plan a meeting again to build/re-build the contents. A lot of the scouts also have a self-assembled Altoids PSK, and that includes a cheat sheet. Oh - I include the Handbook as part of the required carry, as well as a pencil and paper. Most scouts also have an orange BIC and other useful gear stowed in pockets and kits.

I allow - encourage, actually - those who have an acceptable fixed blade to carry that in the pack whenever we are NOT going to a BSA camp. They are, to a boy, extremely good about asking my permission BEFORE they toss one in, and they ALL bring them to me for inspection and OK (not my rule - they just do that). That has cost me more than a few hours of stealthy sharpening and sheath repairing - oh, even filing, polishing, etc... some of the knives they bring in are... formerly ridden hard and put away wet, if you know what I mean.

I allow a small folding saw - I am frequently tempted to simply procalim "OK - you can carry any pocket knife you want as long as it's Victorinox, has a saw blade, and is no more than 5 layers thick..." - but I digress. Waves and Gerber multi tools are not uncommon with older scouts who plan ahead with parental gift requests.

At one time I gave every scout an emergency space blanket, so about 2/3 carry those - I probably will put that on the list, as well as a 55 gal trash bag, but I need to purchase more - too hard/expensive for them to get just one otherwise.

I don't require a whistle, but I WILL require that for trips in remote areas. If you don't know why I don't require whistles, you haven't been around a bunch of wound-up 12 year olds... YMMV, and if we were anywhere close to places wilder, I would reconsider. Feel free to criticize.

When my wife & I started using Camelbak Ridge Runners for our Ready Pack, it got expensive for some of the parents, so we made a point of NOT carrying those everytime for about a year, and I think the hydration pack mania has cooled off to a simmer for now...

These things are laid out in a handbook-sized supplement we give every scout when they join, and it surely reflects my personal predjudices, despite my efforts to be objective. Time to revise that again, I suppose.

[color:"red"] ON TO THE PFAK [/color]

The short list of the Personal FAK is found on page 289:

"Carrying a few first aid items on hikes and campouts will allow you to treat scratches, blisters, and other minor injuries, and to provide initial care for more serious emergencies. Everything will fit in a self-sealing plastic bag. Get in the habit of taking along your personal first aid kit whenever you set out on a Scout Adventure."

Adhesive bandages - 6
Sterile gauze pads, 3" x 3" - 2
Adhesive tape - 1 small roll
Moleskin, 3" x 6" - 1
Soap - 1 small bar
Antiseptic - 1 small tube
Scissors - 1 pr
Latex Gloves - 1 pr
Mouth-barrier device - 1
Plastic goggles or other eye protection - 1
Pencil and paper - 1 each

Hmmm. Well, here's the deal with THAT list: They have to bring all that in (or equivalent, like 4x4 or vinyl gloves) and go over it with me in detail, because that is a Second Class requirement. Then we make some changes:

o Drop the scissors if regular knife has functional scissors
o toss latex gloves and add 2pr nitrile gloves (I get them on sale at local Harbor Freight)
o Blood stoppers - I handed out a US Military trauma dressing until I ran out; now they stuff 2-4 maxi-pads in a ziplock.
o I let them know that if they don't want to carry bulky & fragile goggles, it's OK with me
o pencil & paper stay - it's separate from the to-be-used ones in the Ready Pack
o at least 70 cents in quarters and dimes
... and I allow a few additional items, like vetwrap, burn pads, etc. Some add, some don't. I don't want this too massive - that's stuff that should be in a patrol-level FAK, whereas this is have-it-with-you-all-the-time stuff.

Except for two with occasional mild asthma attacks, none of our current scouts are on meds. One has some very mild food allergies (we ALL know about the allergies, boys included), none are allergic to stings, all are allowed to take aspirin, etc. A few of the boys carry some OTC analgesic (Tylenol or aspirin), but when I catch them with it, I have a chat with them and parent to satisfy myself - no problems to date. Boys with medical concerns are a reality in most troops and I'm not going to get into that here other than to say that it is a hell of a sticky legal situation to put us poor Scouters in and we do the best we can with that - best for the boys, that is.

I DRILL them that this is their PERSONAL FAK - if they come across a "wounded" buddy, they patch him up with HIS PFAK and do NOT use their own on someone else UNLESS the injured person has nothing. This kit is primarily for THEM to use on THEMSELVES. They really get it and that's exactly how it plays out when someone finger carves himself or whatever.

I, of course, carry WAY too much additional stuff because... because I guess I'm an idiot. Our scouts collectively do just fine, and that's what it's all about. They range from 10 1/2 to 17 yo. I don't consider any of the current crop to be seasoned outdoorsmen - they're all a bunch of urban MidWest kids and there's only so much I can squeeze into the curriculum - still, they are orders of magnitude ahead of their non-scout counterparts.

Hope that answers your questions.

Regards,

Tom

#42133 - 07/01/05 04:59 AM Re: Is our motto "Be un-Prepared"?
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Just a thought: just because none of them have allergies today doesn't mean they won't have one tomorrow. Allergies can show up at any time in one's life, after any number of previous exposures. There have been people who have been stung by bees (etc) a hundred times without problems, then it happens for the 101st time and they have a severe reaction.

If you have a doctor friend, you might ask what the best thing to do in that case would be.

Sue

#42134 - 07/01/05 05:06 AM Re: Is our motto "Be un-Prepared"?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am impressed, truly. Good on you, mate.

#42135 - 07/01/05 05:11 AM Re: Is our motto "Be un-Prepared"?
Anonymous
Unregistered

It would not be inappropriate for Tom to carry an epinephrine self injector. Maybe two sizes, for differing body mass since he has such an age range.

I would not do it w/o a Rx and a letter from the doc attesting to the instruction he has been given concerning its use.

Virtually every state has a "good samaritan" statute shielding one from criminal and civil liability. And, while release forms are not worth the paper they are written upon, it would not hurt to get a parent to sign something whereby they acknowledge having been informed that emergency treatment may be necessary, and that neither the BSA nor the coucellor is responsible for bad outcome so long as the treatment is undertaken in good faith. Releases/waivers are easy to pierce, but what they are good for is forcing someone to acknowledge that they were advised of a particular risk.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.