Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#4196 - 05/20/02 04:23 AM Re: Post Nuclear Event Survival
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I think we will see a renewed interest in urban survial. Potential and real threats affect everyone, regardless of political persuasion or philosophy. None of these criteria mattered to the 2,800 odd souls in the WTC on SEPT 11. So, lets maintain our community atmosphere and talk solutions.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (05/20/02 08:07 PM)

#4197 - 05/22/02 04:09 PM Re: Post Nuclear Event Survival
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Just a note; nothing new:<br><br>Boston Globe article

#4198 - 05/23/02 02:36 AM Re: Post Nuclear Event Survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

I re-read the entire thread, Could someone help me discover whether there is a difference between P. Iodide and P. Iodate? Beachdoc I read your post, but I think I missed the distinction.<br><br>FEMA references only Iodide. I would be very grateful for your insight.

#4199 - 05/23/02 01:29 PM Re: Post Nuclear Event Survival
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have found only references to Potassium Iodide and SSKI. It has been far too long since general chemistry for me to offer a meaningful opinion about the difference. <br>However, since I have in my possession two bottles of potassium IODIDE, I know that it is available. SSKI (supersaturated sollution of potassium iodided) and potassium iodide pills are the only form thats I personally have seen recommended for loading following a nuclear event. <br>Hope this helps.

#4200 - 05/23/02 02:16 PM KI v. KIO3 at www.ki4u.com
Anonymous
Unregistered

There's a good website that seems to have straight info - it's www.ki4u.com. Shane, the owner, is a stand-up guy. His website discusses the differences in depth between pot. iodide and pot. iodate.<br><br>I have bought several bottles of Rad-Block from KI4U after doing a lot of research and reading about Shane's business in a Washington Post article around Dec. 28, 2001. <br><br>Good luck!<br><br>Mamabear<br>

#4201 - 05/23/02 05:12 PM Re: KI v. KIO3 at www.ki4u.com
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Mamabear,<br><br>Thanks for the link. That site has more info on it than any other one site I have run across. While a lot of it is focused on nuclear war effects, there is plenty of discussion on all aspects of nuclear effects. It's pretty dreary reading if one gets sucked into it - hope everyone carries a good sense of perspective with them when they read it!<br><br>JB - Some pm questions you had for me have answers directly or via links on this site - check it out - don't get bummed out - perspective, perspective...<br><br>Thanks, Mamabear!<br><br>Tom

#4202 - 05/23/02 05:37 PM Re: KI v. KIO3 at www.ki4u.com
Anonymous
Unregistered

Perspective is right! I always become nervous about all the information on a site when there are basic errors contained within the site. The article on this site about doomsday can't seem to get straight the difference between carbon monoxide and dioxide. If that mistake was made then what other ones are on the site? Just a heads up IMHO. God bless the internet but NEVER believe everything that you read (especially when it has no overisght or editing like the internet).

#4203 - 05/23/02 05:38 PM Re: KI v. KIO3 at www.ki4u.com
Anonymous
Unregistered

I cruised the site. It contains a great deal of information. Obviously some is good and some not. Seems like there is a lot of anecdotal information presented as fact. The comments regarding the risk of nuclear war and the civil defense preparations of other countries are on par with what I have seen elsewhere.<br>Back to the question about KI vs KIO3. Doesn't appear to be a significant difference. Take your pick and send your money. The cost is little and you'll REALLY want to kick yourself if you ever need it and don't have it, because like a good knife, youll REALLY need it.<br>Don't count on the govmint to have it for you.<br>Have a great holiday weekend.

#4204 - 05/23/02 07:21 PM Reddun re www.ki4u site
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, Reddun -<br><br>If you found some mistakes on it, and are motivated enough, feel free to e-mail Shane and point them out. He's not a wild-eyed fanatic by any means and would welcome the correction, I feel sure. If someone *didn't* want to hear the truth (thanks, Mulder :-) ) , I'd discount him as a TEOTWAWKI weirdo.

#4205 - 05/23/02 07:53 PM Re: KI v. KIO3 at www.ki4u.com
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Not sure which "article" you read, but actually both CO and CO2 are concerns in shelters. The CO concern primarily stems from fires external to the shelter - it is a safe assumption that there would be many fires raging out of control, especially if a nuke was detonated in an urban area.<br><br>The CO2 (and water vapor) concerns are from shelter occupants respiration, and these are real concerns regardless of external conditions.<br><br>So, even if the article you read has them mixed up, both are things that must be planned for and dealt with. Hope that helps.<br><br>Tom

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 265 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.