Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#4170 - 02/15/02 07:19 PM Canopy Break out tool
SonexN36SX Offline

Hi Guys,<br><br>I am building a Sonex aircraft http://dkoelzer.murkworks.com/. This design has a Plexiglas bubble canopy which hinges to the side. In the event of a roll over accident I would not be able to open the canopy normally. Short of a fireman's axe is there any good tool which would help me break out of the cockpit. <br><br>Some veterans have mentioned that they were taught to score the window with their sheath knife and then hit it with the butt of the knife to break the window. Is this really effective or is it an old-sergeant's tale?<br><br>David Koelzer

#4171 - 02/15/02 08:56 PM Re: Canopy Break out tool
Anonymous
Unregistered

With plexiglass the scoreing followed by impact will be mostly useless unless the plexiglass is quite thin or you "score" through most of it (which will be much more like cutting). This method would work admirably with glass. <br><br>An option might be a battery powered dremel tool pre-loaded with the correct cutting wheel. It is small and could be taped / velcro'd to the canopy / dash and be perfectly capable of cutting through most plexiglass. <br><br>I am unfamiliar with the aircraft specifics but if you craft is upside down on a plexiglas bubble and you break the bubble is there sufficient room within the cabin for you after the aircraft settles down on the broken shards of the canopy? Seems like a bad situation whatever.

#4172 - 02/15/02 09:49 PM Re: Canopy Break out tool
SonexN36SX Offline

Hi,<br><br>Here is a view of my plane under construction http://dkoelzer.murkworks.com/canopy/canclosed.jpg<br><br>The forward windscreen is make from Lexan while the bubble canopy is Plexiglas. In the above picture the forward part of the windscreen still has the white plastic covering on the Lexan. Here is another view with the hinged part of the Plexiglas canopy opened. http://dkoelzer.murkworks.com/canopy/canopen2.jpg<br><br>You can see that the metal hoop of the windscreen and turtle deck of the aft fuselage will act as roll bars so I won't be pinned under the overturned fuselage. I should have 2' of space to crawl out from under if I can make a hole in the canopy. <br><br>I inadvertently cracked my first Plexiglas canopy during installation and it surprised me how brittle Plexiglas really is. So score and crack method seems theoretically possible to me but I would feel better if I knew someone had first hand experience.

#4173 - 02/15/02 10:08 PM Re: Canopy Break out tool
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well.... Looks as if you will be safe from crushing. The flexion stress from the weight of the plane should assist on the score and Whack method. If you cracked your first one then you should have material around for experimenting. Take a curved piece, place it curve down just as it would be in the hypothetical emergency, place a 2/4 with a bunch or weight on it accross the upturned edges, then reach in, score it and give it a whack. Protect yourself from the colapse as this experiment doesnt have the roll-bars. Let us know about your success.

#4174 - 02/15/02 11:15 PM Re: Canopy Break out tool
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Try some of the dedicated windshield punches. They are small and very effective. In the Coast Guard we had boat and aircraft axes and our personal knives. We had to smash through plexiglass, wood and fiberglass, cut the occasional line or fishing net. I went through the AF survival knife, an early British MOD4 and eventually settled on a German Linder sheepsfoot with detached marlinspike ( The sheepsfoot blade was legislated into existence to stop seamen from knifing each other well before vulnurable liferafts.) The marlinspike proved very effective at punching starcracks into plexiglass with a following blow from the butt or bladeback ( depending on how scared or pressed for time we were.)

#4175 - 02/16/02 07:20 AM Re: Canopy Break out tool
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
It is my understanding that the USAF "survival" knive has what pass for saw teeth on the back so that it can be used to saw thru plexiglas or the aluminum skin of an aircraft. I never got a chance to use mine on those materials, but just for the heck of it I sawed a 2x4 in half with it, and it worked pretty good for that. I did snap the tip off while trying to husk a coconut tho...<br><br>There are many knives available with really effective saw teeth, you might consider something along those lines...

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.