Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#41605 - 06/28/05 05:38 AM Re: Titanium
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

Matt,

I wouldn't worry about the health risks of titanium utensils. It is very non-reactive. This is why it is popular for use in salt water. It is also commonly used in human implants. The scratches are more cosmetic than anything.

Check out this titanium "real" flatware. If you check the weights compared to your spork, I think you'll find you can have "real" flatware for similar weight to the spork.. And I bet a lot less people have titanium flatware vs titanium sporks....

http://www.titaniumart.com/hc-flatware-tc07.html

-john

#41606 - 06/28/05 12:12 PM Re: Titanium
NAro Offline
Addict

You're an EMT, right? You sometimes eat firehouse food, right? Don't worry about the Titanium.. worry about the chili!

Seriously though, Matt:
I talked with a biomedical engineer who designs Titanium implants. He says you probably are at greater risk from whatever you eat WITH your Spork than from the Titanium itself.

#41607 - 06/28/05 12:20 PM Re: Titanium
physics137 Offline
journeyman

Loc: New York City
I understand your point about the resistivity of aluminum - the point I was making is if you compare two wires, one aluminum, one copper, of equal weight, the aluminum wire has a smaller resistance. Of course, the aluminum wire has about a 70% greater diameter. And despite the greater diameter it's usually cheaper too

#41608 - 06/28/05 10:16 PM Re: Titanium
Anonymous
Unregistered

Part of the problem with aluminum wiring is not just that it corrodes, it is the way it corrodes. It is not for nothing that virtually all jurisdictions have banned its use for electical structure wiring. I have handled a number of aluminum wiring fires. I have seen aluminum wiring side by side with copper in the same installation. The aluminum was unsafe; the copper was still safe.

#41609 - 06/28/05 11:19 PM Aluminum
Anonymous
Unregistered

That is because aluminum flakes as it degrades. And aluminum flake burns, just like magnesium flake. Why do you think it is one of the components of thermite, or at least the home made version.

I asked around, and while I don't have the engineering experince that some here do, some of my coworkers do. They all said flat out that the reason why people pushed aluminum wiring was because it was lighter and cheaper. They looked at my like I was nuts when I asked if it had a lower resistance.

#41610 - 06/29/05 03:34 AM Re: Aluminum
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's what I mean about the 'way' it corrodes. And yes, it was much cheaper. There are entire neighborhoods here that are not worth tearing down because they were such crap to begin with and are ot worth the price of re-wiring with copper. Unfortunately, a lot of those houses were sold to returning vietnam vets in neighborhoods surrounding the military bases. We have 7 in/around San Antonio.

#41611 - 09/28/05 09:38 PM Re: Titanium
groo Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Florida
Saw this, remembered your post...

Titanium Flashlights

#41612 - 10/03/05 01:29 AM Re: Titanium
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Beaumont, TX USA
Is titanium more resistant to the chemicals released by batteries when they leak?
I know when every my Al flashlights get a battery leak, they are most often trashed... As in: The insides are so corroded that you cannot even unscrew the end, because the threads do not even seem to BE there anymore...This has happened to mearly all of my Maglights(At one time, they were nearly the only 'good' thing you could get around here...), and also some pilot's flashlights, and others that I have...
It almost makes me want to go back to Carbon/Zinc batteries(I only use good name brand Alk's these days), because I THINK that Al is resestant to that type of battery acid...

#41613 - 10/03/05 04:44 AM Re: Titanium
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

I don't know about chemicals in batteries, but Ti is pretty darn resistant to most things.

However, Ti isn't a great flashlight material for a number of reasons.

Instead of carbon-zinc, I'd look at lithium powered lights for long term storage. They have a shelf life of about ten years, are resistaint to cold.

For example, the Surefire G2 is a great deal for a very tough, bright little light.

There are also some great, low (ish) cost LED lights like this light that supports two levels, or this or this one cell light.

And the lithium cells can be had for around $1 ea. online.

-john

#41614 - 10/03/05 04:53 AM Re: Titanium
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
Quote:
However, Ti isn't a great flashlight material for a number of reasons.

What are the reasons? Cost is the first one that comes to mind, but I'm curious what other ones there are...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.