Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#4076 - 02/11/02 04:48 PM Shelter - Tent or Tarp
snoman Offline

Hi, all. I'm looking for some input on what type of emergency shelter to carry in the trunk of my car. I have a tent right now (a Eureka Backcountry 2), which is a nice little tent; although a bit “cool” when it’s cold outside (It is billed as a “three-season tent”). I was thinking a tarp or a lean-to might be a better choice. My thinking is with the lean-to, I can have a reflector fire going, radiating heat into the lean-to. That can't be done with a tent. The only time I can think of when a tent would be a better choice would be when there are a lot of flies, gnats and such. <br>I was thinking of one of the Whelen or Forester types of lean-tos, which is basically a lean-to that has sides on it. Weight isn’t much of a factor, since it will be kept in the trunk of the car (along with a sleeping bag, blankets, extra clothes, etc.). Come to think of it, all I need now is a small fridge to keep the beer in, and a GPS and a cell phone so I can give the pizza delivery guy directions! I really shouldn’t make it too comfortable; if someone tries to “rescue” me, I may refuse to go back with them. :-)<br>

#4077 - 02/11/02 05:02 PM Re: Shelter - Tent or Tarp
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
There are lots of options available. A quick one that comes to mind is to carry the tent and a tarp. That will give you a luttle flexibility. In the winter, you could set up the tarp over the tent, leaving a few inches to act as an insulator.

#4078 - 02/11/02 06:07 PM Re: Shelter - Tent or Tarp
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, since you seem to be getting comfortable and not worrying overly much about the trunk space I would suggest these options for your consideration.<br><br><br>The Tent<br><br>and <br><br><br>The Stove<br><br>It is a pricey set of options but you sure will be comfortable.<br><br>[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Edited by miniMe (02/11/02 06:10 PM)

#4079 - 02/12/02 01:07 PM Re: Shelter - Tent or Tarp
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your vehicle itself is a pretty good shelter without any modification. I have spent several nights sleeping in the vehicle. I especially recall being stranded in a snowstorm and another occasion when we left our tent in a violent thunderstorm for the somewhat better protection of the vehicle.<br><br>Tents provide superior shelter in inclement conditions, especially in cold, windy conditions, although they can be quite noisy. The "three season tents" are code for a light tent that will keep the bugs and dew out and provide privacy. Snow caves and constructed shelters offer a calmer environment. A leanto is pleasant if conditions are fairly calm, otherwise the fire will not keep you all that warm.<br><br>If you get a tent, get one that is sturdy enough for the most extreme conditions you might encounter. You probably don't need to bother with weight. Rather than a tent, I would be sure I had enough insulation in clothing and sleeping bags that I would not have to depend on the fire exclusively. I always keep a few tarps in my vehicle so that I can extend the inherent shelter provided by the vehicle outward.

#4080 - 02/12/02 06:57 PM Re: Shelter - Tent or Tarp
Anonymous
Unregistered

You're better off making your own hi-tech tarp, from 65g/m2 nylon, silicone elastomer coated on both sides. Dimensions should be no less than 280cm x 180cm, with at least 12 loop attachment points, reinforced with cordura. 8 of these loops should be around the outside, and the other 4 through the middle. It's very difficult to find a tarp of this quality, and expensive too. The only people I know of who make a tarp like this is the SASS, Special Air Sea Services. The one they have also accommodates 2 aluminium looped poles, so it doubles as a tent if need be. This is what it looks like:<br>http://www.sass-kit.fsbusiness.co.uk/catalogue16/images/Foul_Weather/hootchie-double.gif<br>

#4081 - 02/12/02 09:03 PM Re: Shelter - Tent or Tarp
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have spent many nights snug as a bug in a 12'x12' canvass tarp. This is one side of a bigger 1750 type native hunting lodge less the bell ends.<br><br>I have fire just inside the front usually with a reflector of logs and or rocks, and I can think of several ways to set it up depending on the weather.<br><br>For a 12'x12' you can set it like a "A" frame and lift one side up. <br>You can stake 3 corners down and lift the 4th with one pole. You can off set 4 poles 2 long and 2 short and wrap the canvass making a 4 pole tee pee sorta.<br><br>With 2 12'x12's you can make probably the best shelter anyone would ever want.... but this takes a few poles 5 minimum, and the ends need to be closed. I use this often when there is a group.... <br><br>my 12x12s have loops sewn one every 3 feet around the edge, and every 3 feet on the seams on one side.... the possibilities are almost endless, and 1 man can carry this if folded and rolled tight, which ends up at about 10"x8"x28" I don't know the weight off hand, maybe 8 to 10 lbs......<br><br>Canvass is heavier that nylon, but with care will out last nylon.<br>Nylon is a no fire deal, just a single spark will melt a hole.<br><br>When I go modern with a tent any fire I have is 25 yards down wind.<br><br>Nylon winter tents are simply stronger, and a bit tighter. They are not ment to be warm one way or the other. Bibler make a single layer gortex tent that might cut wind better so far as wind chill is concerned..... ventilation is a good thing in winter, as there is less "Breath" to coat the inside of fabric. Wishin I had a bibler..... I have seen snow storms inside a tent ;-) That makes things wet.<br><br>I have both canvass and nylon....when hiking I use the nylon, when boating I use the canvass....... Mac

#4082 - 02/12/02 09:16 PM Re: Shelter - Tent or Tarp (jampot )
Anonymous
Unregistered

jampot I see you can include links.... My friends site for your adventure is http://www.tentsmiths.com/ he has made tents for the arctic and many other places and times..... He knows what works best where..... he made the canvass tarps i use now, and he can make tents of a very tight cotton.. check him out....... his "Top of the World Tent" just might be what your looking for...... Mac

#4083 - 02/12/02 09:47 PM Re: Shelter - Tent or Tarp (jampot )
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm into lightweight hiking only. Those canvas tarps and tents seem pretty heavy. That SASS hootchie I mentioned is approx 700g. Combine that with a goretex bivibag of about 1100g and you have a degree of personal protection no tent can match. In sub-zero climes it's best to wear ventile cotton clothing. Maybe this is what you mean when you say he makes tents from very tight cotton. I'll probably decide on a quinze when I go to Lappland next year. Incidentally, the treeline in Lappland extends farther north than anywhere else in the world.

#4084 - 02/12/02 10:06 PM Re: Shelter - Tent or Tarp
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A shelter's value can be measured by the old realter's adage "location,location,location." Check out the Colorado firstrax link in survival links.

#4085 - 02/12/02 10:25 PM Re: Shelter - Tent or Tarp (jampot )
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Another source for canvas type shelters is David Ellis @ www.cowboycamp.net Anyone choosing traditional canvas would do well to buy from a tentmaker of repute. Painter's drop cloths and even some production items have a fatal flaw. Look for black peppering in the cloth ( ask for samples) This is a sign of cheap canvas that has not been cleaned before weaving. Quality canvas is a clean vanilla white ( unless treated for water or fire retardance.) I wrapped myself in a reproduction bedroll and spent the night sneazing and coughing from exotic pollens and dust. Canvas should be pre soaked before use to shrink seams and increase water repellency.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.