Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#4106 - 02/19/02 06:52 PM Re: Shelter - Tent or Tarp (jampot )
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Mac - hey, the "Mountaineer" moniker was meant as a compliment. Hope you took it that way...<br><br>For winter time (only) use, we make our own stuff like the Stouffer's you describe - moose stroganoff was one of my favorites when I had the meat - anyway, we use seal-a-meal and made our own - much tastier than anything but scratchbuilt chow. I think we're on our third sealer now...<br><br>I am a huge fan of Egyptian (long staple) cotton for many uses (not CW clothes) - have not seen a tent or tarp made from it yet - that would be neat.<br><br>I, too, made and used a vapor barrier - from lightweight coated nylon. Still use it when conditions warrant. Stinky but effective...<br><br>Tom

#4107 - 02/19/02 07:25 PM Re: Shelter - Tent or Tarp (jampot )
Anonymous
Unregistered

LOL No ""Mountaineer" moniker " that was fine with me! I have been called far worse ;-)<br><br>I am a bit lost here "CW" cold weather? if so Me too!!! i use wool and down, systhectic wind buster stuff, never cotton but for the 2 layer "Duotech Long johns which is a layer of cotton and wool laminated to one layer of clothing... I don't care for poly longies much the stink won't rinsee rinsee rinsee and become Oh so clean yuk! but a nice tight water resitant wind proof 2 layer tent...tent with in a tent of cotton seems to me to be a great idea....I would get on for a sled pulling tent if I could afford it......<br><br>I hate the wind sometimes and have chased it yelling and swinging sticks too!<br><br>Once there was a wind when I was in the tee pee that sounded like a bunch of irish banshee's. it took off barn roofs all around where we were living. The next day I saw the papers, and alot of folks were rather miffed about it..... that was i think Jan 94, there was 4' of snow and we had only 1 pair of snow shoes. I made a plastic tee pee cover the day before as i heard this was coming on a battery operated radio. That was funny..... A friend gave me a trailer cover for a 18 wheeler. it was bright black one one side and bright white on the other, and folded up nice! I spread it out partly in a dirt road, and "Saw Right Off" that I needed more room! I began to stuff it in the back of a pick up truck, but it was a fight. near the end I ran and jumped, but air was trapped and I was spit out! I fell and my wife was laughing hard very hard, so hard I can't put it here, as I would be banned from the site, but you can picture it I bet! ;-) We went to a parking area that was for a summer camp and with snoe shoes on spread this out, and a string, tape measure, and knife cut a outter cover for the tee pee....<br><br>The vapor barrier I made was cloth from the dump literally. I found a roll of it and made a long gone ice boat sail and the vapor barrier I have now, the new one is for my wife's stink! Don't tell her I said that ok?<br><br>Got Moose? oh I wish I had Moose I can go see Moose about anytime I get the urge, but Ol' Johnny Law seems to have a wee problem with me harvesting any Ol' time I want...<br><br>I am no fan of cooking, and eat because I have too. If I could stop eatting I would. My wife cooks, but only because I won't, and she is no big fan of eatting either, but better than I am... I never had a seal a meal device, maybe I outta look into it, as that way I can make a mess at home, and not on a trail.<br><br>Something like doing dishes at -40'F just does not sit well with me....... Although this winter it has not gotten anywheres near -10'F yet, but there is still hope for a snap maybe.<br><br>About now I am looking forward to going sugaring with a friend. I have not the means here where I live, so I go beg off sugar from one of my buddies..... My problem is local trees are a tad to far to go for collection. About March 1st is tappin day here..... I think your the fellow from Vt? is that correct?<br><br>If so you know about sugarin.... At one point I asked (if you are that Vt. fellow) anyway how's things up on Mansfield, if you are, but I don't know if you did not reply, or I lost any reply, but I don't recall one.... <br><br>Anyway don't worry about calling me any names.... I laff them off even if they were intended to hurt (yours wasn't) .... I have been to hell and back, and words have become just that words....<br>Mac<br>

#4108 - 02/20/02 08:57 AM Re: Shelter - Tent or Tarp (jampot )
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Tom, <br><br>Welcome back. Your father has our best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery.<br><br>John

#4109 - 02/25/02 07:50 PM Re: Shelter - Tent or Tarp
Anonymous
Unregistered

for a survival shelter just learn some primitive shelter types so if you get lost or stranded in the woods you can build one. or if your stranded in the middle of no where with your car, you can just stay in your car then

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ratch, Jeanette_Isabelle), 322 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.