Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#4086 - 02/13/02 12:21 AM Re: Shelter - Tent or Tarp (jampot )
Anonymous
Unregistered

We are in different countries so I have no idea what some of these things are. "ventile cotton clothing"? I wear wool.... What is "quinze"?<br><br>My friend uses a specicial eygptian cotton blend made to his spects. As is it will turn thorns, and it can be oiled...he buys it oiled....you don't do anything but live in it....<br><br>yes if you intend to carry this on your back synthectics are the way to go. Each has advantages and disadvantages, also life times as well.<br><br>I hope you at least look at the site. I think the top of the world tent is made to be dragged on a sled, as the idea for it to be taken, is that people would need to drag more food than they can possibly carry.....So why carry anything more than the clothes on your back, and everything else goes in the sled.<br><br>You might e mail peter and ask how long the trip was that that tent was used for... I can't be sure, but think it was 3 months....No one can carry 3 months supplies in a single pack.<br><br>I met peter 20 years ago, and he was making tents full time then....he has made no syntheic tents, but has made tents for every coner of the world and for historical events from about every date you can dream up......if you know of a tent that he doesn't he would want to know about it....of that I am 100% sure......Mac<br>ps: I am just dying to know pre trip details! Like when where how long, and what ever you wish to share????

#4087 - 02/13/02 12:28 AM Re: Shelter - Tent or Tarp (jampot )
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah I know what you mean....I made a drop cloth "Tick" for historical re-enactments, but I stuffed it with straw anyway.<br><br>My Tarp is sold as a tarp and made by the friend I speak of here... I was not cheap, and is 6 years old and stained from many camps from smoke. I think the 12x12 was like 70 dollars with loops sewn every 3' every where on one side...that means egdes and surface..... I am considering a eygptian cotton un oiled for a bit less weight, and far smaller size folded....... each material has its advantages..... I like fire dead center in a tent, or sometimes anyplace I want in them with the doors closed and the fire inside. I know of several types that can do that, but none are syntheics....Mac

#4088 - 02/13/02 12:39 AM Re: Shelter - Tent or Tarp (jampot )
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Puuvilla vastaan lumi?

#4089 - 02/13/02 01:37 AM Re: Shelter - Tent or Tarp (jampot )
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm not sure if you're asking me if I prefer a cotton or snow shelter. It would have to be snow since I don't carry a tent, cotton or otherwise. I have never experienced arctic conditions before, but from what I hear about Lappland, it's not too cold if you keep away from the eastern interior, and outside of winter it's too wet.

#4090 - 02/13/02 02:24 AM Re: Shelter - Tent or Tarp (jampot )
Anonymous
Unregistered

A quinze is just a snow house made from loose snow, heaped up, and allowed to set before hollowing out the interior. It's actually warmer than an igloo, if made properly.<br>I mentioned in a previous post about doing a bit of trapping, fishing, and learning about edible plants, nothing too serious. This reduces the burden of carrying too much food. I'd much rather buy it to tell you the truth, but when you're miles from the nearest store you haven't got much choice. The idea of going on a winter trip like this would be to gain as much bodyweight as possible, beforehand. Some people will know, especially people who regularly lose weight, the body becomes very sensitive to gaining weight the first chance it gets. People who are not in the habit of losing weight will find they aren't very good at gaining it either, at least not quickly. I find gaining and losing 40lB fairly easy.<br>I'm a little wary of venturing too far in cold and snowbound conditions, since I hike alone. You ask when, where, how long? It would be next year, january or february, where exactly I don't know. I'd like to try and endure it for at least 4 weeks. I'm looking forward to those northern lights.

#4091 - 02/13/02 02:26 AM Re: Shelter - Tent or Tarp
snoman Offline

Hey, guys. Thanks for all the replies. I'm still leaning towards a smaller shelter for my emergency gear. I know I'd love to have the wall tent and cylinder stove on hand, but I can't justify hauling something that large and heavy around with me on the off chance that I’ll use it; my car isn’t that big. I, like most in here, carry a BOB with me all the time. I'm mainly trying to prepare for an unexpected night out due to a mechanical breakdown in my car or getting stuck in a winter storm. (I got “stranded” a few years back when the rig I was driving had the fuel jell up from being too cold. I can tell you that when the engine isn’t running, the cab gets COLD real fast; that experience makes me demand that people I care about carry blankets and other emergency gear with them when they’re in their vehicles). I’ve even given “Christmas gifts” of Tupperware containers containing things like candles, matches, knives, whistles, signal flags, Powerbars and jars of peanut butter to loved ones. They may think it’s a goofy gift at first, but most will humor me and keep it in the trunk of their cars. It’s something I hope they never need, but if they do, it’s there. (I’ve had people tell me they don’t need this stuff; that they carry a cell phone. - I told them the cell phone is a great idea, “but what will you do if it’s below freezing outside, your kids are in the back seat of the car, and no one can get to you for a few hours?”) If you prepare for it, it won’t be that bad. Thanks for listening.

#4092 - 02/13/02 02:50 AM Re: Shelter - Tent or Tarp
Anonymous
Unregistered

People thought I was nuts, back in college, for keeping a kit in my car, and another in my closet. Then we had the remains of a huuricane run up the Connaticut river a couple years ago, and we lost power for a day an half. <br><br>Guess who was no longer laughed at for keeping things like a 5-gallon jug of water, a little battery powered campstove taht ate charoal briquettes, and the like on hand. smile They were begging me to let them heat water so they could make coffee or instant soup. <br><br>As for the people who think "I've got a cell phone, I'll be ok", and Mac can back me up on this, resque services around here are starting to charge those idiots mucho bucks. Peronsonally, I'd be tempted to let 'em freeze, and call it evolution in action- there's a reason I'm not in a SAR team. smile

#4093 - 02/13/02 08:04 PM Re: Shelter - Tent or Tarp
snoman Offline

I know how you feel - When the boss said we have to watch out for other people doing dopey things (…to keep them from hurting themselves), one guy says "but we need accidents, accidents are Mother Nature's way of getting rid of stupid people before they have a chance to breed another generation of stupid people. Accidents actually help improve our species.” Everybody except the boss thought it was funny!

#4094 - 02/14/02 05:11 AM Re: Shelter - Tent or Tarp (jampot )
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quinzhees warmer than igloos? I've slept in both and quicky snow shelters and my thermometer read a few degrees below zero in all. This was in Arctic survival school and later for fun during Arctic and Antarctic patrols. Quinzhees are less sophisticated and easier to build. The disadvantage is waiting two hours for the snow to firm up. The Igloo can be built with skill in less than half an hour. The additional advantage is having built a few levels you are in a windbreak and removing materials from inside. When in doubt do as the natives do. Inuit use igloos.

#4095 - 02/14/02 05:08 PM Re: Shelter - Tent or Tarp
Anonymous
Unregistered

rgr that! You get in to kimshee and call, you pay even if found dead! It has come to pass that a phone call rescue for some situations cause too much risk for rescue works, and intterupt the families of the works. We are voulunteers and not paid, but the service does in fact charge. The services for some groups bring all kinds of equipment extra too, stuff that is not likely to be needed...... so I would do my best to get any rescue needs sorted out before going on a adventure.<br><br>Certain needs such as a first heart attack are looked on as a true accident, but you still pay. Other incidents like having no meds and it is the 5th heart attack cause the rescue party to become sort of jaded. Other things like passing the "Don't pass this sign due to avalanch conditions." will get you mocked out in person if your still sucking air when found.<br><br>requesting a helicopter is really not a good idea in the Whites... I don't own a cell phone, and have no need of ever owning a cell phone..... I don't have the tin foil hat that you need to use a cell phone either!!! Mac

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.