Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#40829 - 05/21/05 12:01 PM Re: Possible Juice modification?
norad45 Offline
Veteran

The "hook" on the tip is what carries the cutting edge. That way you can draw the blade up the stomach the same way you would use a rescue hook. The skin is slit open but the intestines underneath are unscathed. As Brian says, less messy that way.

They are certaintly not necessary to field dress an animal; I used an Old Timer Woodsman with a 5" drop point blade for years. But they are a little more forgiving when you make a mistake.

Regards, Vince

#40830 - 05/22/05 07:15 AM Re: Possible Juice modification?
johnbaker Offline
old hand

Loc: USA
Vince,

You have my commiseration on the elk hunt. For the past few years we have done all of our big game hunting in our home state. We have definitely had some lean hunts.

Susan,

In addition to what Brian and Vince have said, the gut hook is essentially a simplifier when it comes to gutting game. It makes accidentally penetrating the entrails with your knife (a very messy mistake you learn never to repeat) unlikely.

I have cleaned a lot of deer with a Buck Pathfinder with its near clip point blade without ever puncturing the guts. The technique I use is to pull the hide away from the guts, insert the knife held in the right hand with blade under the hide and cut outward. I simultaneously place my left hand under the knife with the forefinger and middle finger on the left and right sides of the blade at the tip so as to put some space between the hide and the guts. It's actually a lot easier to do than to describe.

John

#40831 - 05/22/05 09:46 PM Re: Montréal's subway as a perfect target
misant Offline

Hello, all, I am a frequent reader of these boards and this site, but I thought I would just register to add to this thread as a Montrealer and as one with some expertise in law, specifically regarding weapons.

I'm unaware of any Quebec Civil Code regulations surrounding weapons and after some research in a number of places I still can't track anything down. But in any case, I wouldn't worry as the QCC only covers civil law; that is, you do not really have to worry about the police arresting you and sending you to prison for violating the civil code.

You do have to worry about violating the Criminal Code of Canada, which does not vary from province to province. However, based on the Criminal Code, you may carry a knife as long is you aren't intending to hurt anyone with it, and it is not designed expressly for hurting people.

I carry a fixed blade on my belt and a folder in my pocket, and a multitool too, for that matter, and it is perfectly legal. It is illegal to carry a CONCEALED weapon, but then the definition of "weapon" in Canada is any thing that is designed or intended to hurt or injure and individual, plus a few obscure martial arts weapons. So a knife is absolutely fine. There's plenty of case law which establishes a knife as "not designed to injure/kill" in and of itself.

I take the subway regularly with my fixed blade, and although I've occasionally had to explain to the security people that it is legal and they may not see, touch, or have it, no one has ever tried to take it away beyond an initial request.

I don't carry a flashlight, though, but after reading this thread I believe I will!

#40832 - 05/23/05 12:40 AM Re: Montréal's subway as a perfect target
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Thanks Misant for the relevant information. I think it's tough to find information about that on the internet. It's not clear. I've heard that the blade shouldn't exceed the width of the palm of your hand but I think this is a law for the Scout that became popular.

Frankie

#40833 - 05/23/05 04:59 PM Re: Montréal's subway as a perfect target
misant Offline

Yes, I think you're exactly right about the Scout thing!

Canadian law is designed in such a way as to allow a lot of leeway in terms of ruling and sentencing in court. For instance, if you are carrying a sharp pencil with the intent of hurting someone, that is a crime. If you are carrying an axe home from the store, it is not a crime.

In some ways this seems ridiculous, but then in other ways it's rather good. So always remember that as long as you are not carrying anything for the sake of hurting others, (and I hope this is true anyway) you are not violating the law. I hope that's helpful!

#40834 - 05/24/05 02:24 AM Re: Montréal's subway as a perfect target
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I don't think it's ridiculous, I think it's GREAT!

Here in the U.S., our judicial system has totally lost touch with the intent of the laws, and only go by the LETTER of the law, no matter how stupid it may be.

Sue

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 197 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.