Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#4070 - 02/12/02 12:39 PM Re: Chris..
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the tip. However, would the lanyard loop go around the bottom of the handle? Also, what do you think serves as the best rust preventative solution? The reason that I ask is that I am keeping the knife in the leather sheath and I've been told that moisture can accumulate on the blade. In the future, however, I plan on buying the Kydex sheath.<br>Anyway, thanks for the info (again). Your advice is appreciated.

#4071 - 02/12/02 04:40 PM Re: Chris..
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I thought the "next generation" KA-BARS had a lanyard hole in the butt?! There are a multitude of advanced rust inhibitors and oils out there. Just remember to wipe them clean if you intend to process food.

#4072 - 02/12/02 06:33 PM Re: Chris..
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I just looked at the Ka-Bar site so I know what Im talking about. I was thinking of the "next Generation" Ontarios. The Ka-Bars have no provision for lanyard attachment. the popular Australian bushknife modification consisted of chopping off the upper guard, reshaping the stacked leather handle to an oval shape and drilling a lanyard hole in the buttcap. None of these are really appropriate to your version. the upper handguard is needed in a fighting knife and drilling near the tang in that small buttcap calls for a talented machinist. The kydex sheaths are much better at retaining the knife, and if you wear it under clothing more secure yet. lanyards are usefull while brushpopping, but can oftentimes be as much a nuisance. Id just keep a length of paracord handy and throw a quick knot on the groove near the butt. The powder expoxy coating will work well against rust until worn. Black leather is a pita to maintain ( try a 4 in hand horse harness with brass fittings sometime. ) Until you get the kydex sheath just pickle it in a good waterproof conditioner like snowseal.

#4073 - 02/13/02 02:39 AM Re: Chris..
Anonymous
Unregistered

The early production stainless and kraton Mk2s from Ka-Bar has a teardrop shapped pommel, with the point drilled and smoothed for a lanyard loop. <br><br>Don't know if it's still part of the design or not, but I doubt they'd change the design- most grumpy letter that complained about carbon steel usually said something about lanyards, from what I've heard.

#4074 - 02/14/02 02:50 AM Re: What's your opinion on the USMC KA-BAR?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have one made by Camillus and it is a descent knife for the money. The basic knife, whether it is made by Camillus, Ontario, or Kabar is made with 1095 steel. Camillus and Ontario make the knife to the government's mil-spec, round handle, pakerized finish. Ontario also makes a modified version under their spec plus line. Kabar's knives come with an oval handle and a powder coated blade. They also make a next generation series made from D2 steel. However, for not much more you can get the Becker Knife & Tool Combat/Utility 7 knife (which I also have). It is designed by Ethan Becker to replace the standard Marine Knife. It is made of a different high carbon steel, and it has a wider blade (spine to edge), but only weighs 2oz more. The blade length is about the same. I don't expect it to chop any better since it is still pretty light, but keeping the weight down was a design consideration. I feel that it is a much better knife. As an added benefit, the sheath has a pouch that will accomodate an altoids tin, if you have made a mini kit to fit in one. You can find it online for about $50.

#4075 - 02/14/02 04:34 PM Re: What's your opinion on the USMC KA-BAR?
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Their specs say 15 oz. I don't have a scale that goes that light to confirm...<br><br>http://www.coldsteel.com/

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 273 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.