Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4060 - 02/10/02 09:54 AM What's your opinion on the USMC KA-BAR?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone out there have any personal experiences with the KA-BAR Utility/Fighting knife?<br>I am in the process of purchasing a black KA-BAR and I would like your feedback on this product.<br>I know that this knife is NOT acceptable for EDC, unless your out in the boonies, but any feedback is appreciated.<br>Thanks for your time.<br><br>

#4061 - 02/10/02 12:59 PM Re: What's your opinion on the USMC KA-BAR?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think it is a good knife based on limited experience with it, It was razor sharp and I had to dig with it and it stayed sharp. What are you looking for fighting or general use. For fighting big blade that is strong, made of good metal, and most important LITE ( K-BAR WT. 1lb ).<br> Good day, God bless.<br>

Edited by cgwj1429 (02/10/02 01:23 PM)

#4062 - 02/10/02 06:30 PM Re: What's your opinion on the USMC KA-BAR?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

By "black k-bar" do you mean one of the "next generation" versions? All "k-bars" are not created equal. The Ontarios are notorious for snapping at the hilt. The Camillus will do this but not as frequently. The K-bar made knives are considered the best made .This is rather informal data gathered by several users and my own experience. Of course, they snapped after being accidently dropped, used as a pry bar or digging in adobe soil. This is abuse not use. The next generation knives have some improvements; lanyard hole, half guard, partial serrations and materials. If you decide 7" is a bit much, there is a nice 51/2" version available in the classic model.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (02/10/02 06:33 PM)

#4063 - 02/10/02 09:08 PM Re: What's your opinion on the USMC KA-BAR?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chris is right, not all "k-bars" are equal. But "k-bars" are NOT Ka-Bar MkII C/UK. (Actually, it was origionally going to be a Fighting/Utilty Knife, and while it is a good description of your status if you take one in the belly, it doen't s look good. smile )<br><br>I swear by the Ka-Bar made MkIIs. I've carried a full sized, stacked-leather handeld one as part of my woods kit for years. It's been used for everything you can use a knife for except surgery, and lot of things it never should have been used for (wire cutter, can opener, hacking, etc). And every time, the edge comes back and lasts for a long time. <br><br>I've never had an issue with rust, and for a long time it was EDC in a shoulder harness, so if rust was likely, it would have shown up. <br><br>I actually like the leather handle better than the Next Generation ones- i've had my hands coated in various liquids, gels, slimes and "ick"s, in subzero wind chills and air temps, and never frozen my hand to it. It also feels more "alive"- I own MkIIs with synthetic handles from Onatrio (thier Spec PLus and thier USMC 2020 models), and they aren't as responsive. It may be from the desity effecting the ballence, or it might just be that I'm a little nuts. :)<br><br>But I would recommend it, instantly. It is without a doubt, the best knife I own. If wasn't already lined up for an urn, I'd be buried with my Ka-bar. smile

#4064 - 02/10/02 09:33 PM Re: What's your opinion on the USMC KA-BAR?
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I personally feel that the blade is a little light for its length, so it doesn't chop (if you need to) as well as other blades. The one I had was difficult to sharpen, seemed to be as hard as a file. Don't remember who made it, I traded it away many years ago. I didn't like the round shape of the stacked leather handle, so filed it to an oval shape, and shortened the top portion of the cross guard. For a knife of that size I much prefer my Cold Steel Recon Scout...

#4065 - 02/10/02 10:18 PM Re: What's your opinion on the USMC KA-BAR?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds like a Camillus contract model from the 60s or 70s, if it was that hard.<br><br>A Ka-Bar "k-bar" uses 1095 (IIRC) carbon, which makes it easy to sharpen, and is a little denser than the high-chromium crud that Camillus uses. Cam's are a little better these days, but not enough for me to use them as anything other than throwing knives.

#4066 - 02/10/02 10:37 PM Re: What's your opinion on the USMC KA-BAR?
Anonymous
Unregistered

what is its WT?

#4067 - 02/11/02 07:35 AM Re: Chris..What's your opinion on the USMC KA-BAR?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I appreciate all of the feedback on my inquiry. I just picked up my KA-BAR today and I could not be any more satisfied or impressed.<br><br>To answer your question, Chris, this one is an original product from KA-BAR Knives, Inc. They have a Black KA-BAR line that they started not too long ago, I think. The knife consists of a black oval shaped Kraton G thermoplastic elastomer handle (instead of the traditional leather) and the blade (HRC 56-58) is an epoxy powder coated, high carbon steel (1095). I suppose that the only difference between the Black and Original KA-BARs, is the material on the handle.<br> <br>I was a little disappointed about the lack of RAZOR sharpness in the blade when I received it, but I ran the blade through my tungsten steel sharpener and with a few strokes it was shaving hair. All in all, I am very satisfied with my new toy.<br>If anyone would like to find out more about the Black KA-BAR line, check out www.ka-bar.com.<br>Again, thanks for the info.<br><br>

#4068 - 02/11/02 02:26 PM Re: cgwj1429
Anonymous
Unregistered

To answer your question, I was looking for a general use knife that could also be a very effective fighter. Like I said before, I could not be more satisfied with this knife. <br>I appreciate your feedback. Thanks.<br>

#4069 - 02/11/02 07:09 PM Re: Chris..What's your opinion on the USMC KA-BAR?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Now get some paracord and make a lanyard loop or line. I like to connect a length to a belt loop and stuff it in a pocket. That way I won't snag it going through brush. If the knife is accidently dislodged I won't lose it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.