Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#39714 - 04/12/05 10:01 PM Two highly recommended emergency medical books
turbo Offline

Loc: Oregon
My bargain-hunter-gatherer wife came back from shopping the other day with two small, 8.5" X 6.5" X 3/8", books on first response emergency medical procedures. Both are printed on coated card stock, are well indexed with exterior tabs along the right margin for quick reference, and are large print with highlights in bold red. They are also spiral bound so there is no binding to break under rough treatment. Each treatment or procedure is complete without the need to turn to another section for further instructions.

One book "Mosby’s Outdoor Emergency Medical Guide" by David Manhoff and edited by Stephen Vogel, M.D. ISBN:0-916363-14-7 should be kept with you when you travel. It is sixty six pages long. The second book "Emergency Medical Treatment" by David Manhoff and Stephen Vogel, M.D. ISBN: 0-916363-10-4 is divided by age groups, Infant, Children, and Adults. Each age group is 26 pages long. I think it is particularly helpful for young families. Both books contain procedures for all the basic emergency health risks encountered and are very well illustrated.

Both books are listed at $12.95 U.S. but my wife obtained them new for less than $5 at the local Rite Aid Store in the discount bin. I highly recommend these two books as a handy reference. Once we reviewed these books, my wife went back and bought all they had. They will be divided between our home and vehicles. The rest will be given to close friends. We both have medical backgrounds and were impressed with these publications.

#39715 - 04/13/05 02:42 PM Re: Two highly recommended emergency medical books
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Thanks for the tip. Will have to head on over to our local Rite Aid to see if there are any available.

Pete

#39716 - 04/15/05 02:39 AM Re: Two highly recommended emergency medical books
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
Another great reference that we take on backcountry trips with the Boy Scouts is "Wilderness First Aid", published by the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS). It's the text they use with their WFA course. It's also available on their web site:

http://www.nols.edu/store/books/nc_wildfirstaid.shtml

The book has excellent information on diagnosis and treatment, but, also gets into methods of prevention for situations that you'll encounter. It also deals well with the concept that First Aid in an urban or suburban environment is a lot different, potentially, than in a wilderness environment. In most places where people live, first aid/first responder just has to keep someone stable/alive until the EMS system kicks in. Wilderness First Aid deals with longer term scenarios, and with the need to frequently improvise methods to transport/evac.

Nice treatment of an important topic.

- Ron

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.