Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3937 - 02/05/02 11:10 PM treatment for burns???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am looking for a specific treatment for burns. I had this treatment before, but don't know what the product name is, or of it is still around.<br>This was a prescption paper towel like thing, that came in a wet nap type foil packet, and was orange yellow color treated with a damp chemical which I think made the color.<br><br>That paper towel took all the pain out a burn in seconds. I had been burned with oxy actelene torches..... At a later time I went to the hospital and was given more...That was in the late 70's and these are now long gone, but were not used that I can recall...... Can anyone tell what these are called?<br><br>my sister is a phy. assistant, and she thinks I am nuts???? mayber I am ;-) Mac

#3938 - 02/06/02 03:01 PM Re: treatment for burns???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Current technology is a jel based product that draws out the heat and provides some mild pain killing feature.<br><br>Below is just one site I found that carried burn sheets and gel. Try using google and search for burn sheet for additional sources.<br><br>http://www.allmed.net/catalog/showitem.php/1861

#3939 - 02/06/02 03:52 PM thxs
Anonymous
Unregistered

thxs I didn't think to search......

#3940 - 02/06/02 05:57 PM Re: thxs
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Find a plant guide for your area with traditional food and medicinal uses. The Aloe Vera is usefull for burns as one example. By all means have prepared topicals on hand! For all my ethnobotanical knowledge, I seem to find poison oak first!

#3941 - 02/06/02 06:18 PM Re: thxs
Anonymous
Unregistered

With all due respect, I find it hard to locat that plant in the woods here. I have it growing indoors, along with other plants, and herbal oils for insect bites, and rashes.<br><br>This paper towel packet is/was the very best burn emergency device I have ever had the misfortune to have tried. If I can get my grubby mitts on a few of these for the unfore seen event of another error with fire, I would be very appreciative....<br><br>So far as I know this paper towle contains no water; hence won't freeze. Most of my time out doors is in winter, as I just hate insects buzzing my face in summer. You know those little blod sucking vampires that fly a few hundreths of an inch before your eyes! I don't care about the bites so much as the way they fly..... I might go so far as to carry a flame thrower if I could get those towelets! ;-) Mac

#3942 - 02/07/02 02:08 AM Re: treatment for burns???
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have had some luck with a product called Burn Free. Check this site for some info...<br><br>http://eeivdnew.securesites.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BP&Product_Code=IN+MF+B515

#3943 - 02/07/02 04:05 AM Re: thxs
Anonymous
Unregistered

LOL- For those who live closer the 45th parrallel, try finding a picture of jewel weed. It's a very succulent plant with small, orange or yellow trumpet-like flowers that fly off with the lightest touch.<br><br>Mash the stem and leaves. Use that as a politice for minor burns, bug bites and rashes. It's practically is a specific for poison ivy, sumac and oak. <br><br>It's also useful to know becuase it's a sure sign of water being nearby. <br><br>There is also the sap at the junction of the leaves of cattails. This has mild contact anastetic properties, and is reputed to have antiseptic, antimicrobal and antifungal properties as well. It does do a lot to kill pain. It feels slippery, which is often a sign of bases, so it might be caustic enough to take on germs (just like Ivory soap).<br><br>

#3944 - 02/07/02 02:09 PM Re: thxs
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I had known of Jewel Weed's use on poison ivy but not on burns. Thanks for th tip.<br><br>BTW, a scout camp councilor I knew would demontrate Jewel Weed's effectiveness against poison ivy by coating his hands in the sap and then purposefully grabbing and rubbing poison ivy leaves on them. I don't recommend you try this at home, kids. But he never suffered any rashes or ill effects from his demonstrations. I wouldn't go to his extreem, but it did prove to me the value of the plant. It's one of those plants that I make a point of remembering their locations as I walk along in case I ever need it. For example, the drainage ditch along the group camping parking lot at Illinois Beach State Park is loaded with Jewel Weed.<br><br>The eNature web site has a photo of Jewel Weed. The serrated, arrow shaped leaves are not clear in this photo. Also, sometimes the flowers can be more orange and rust in color instead of the rather yellow and maroon shown. The text says it's good for treating athelete's foot as well. That bit of information could come in handy some day.<br><br>A Rutgers web site has a few more photos that show the full plant and a close-up of the stem.<br><br>And here' a page that has a decent photo of the leaves. This site also sells Jewel Weed soap and tincture. I have no idea if they're effective. But I do know people will freeze the sap in a little water so they'll have Jewel Weed ice cubes in the freezer.<br><br>

#3945 - 02/07/02 06:18 PM Re: treatment for burns???
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Another option is George Townsends Burnaway product ( listed in resources.) It contains many well known products; aloe, tea leaf oil and is very effective!

#3946 - 02/07/02 06:41 PM Re: thxs
Anonymous
Unregistered

It isn't a nomral usage, but it such a succulent that I've found that it works well on minor burns. It jast has to be a poltice of the whoel thing, not just the sap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.