Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3904 - 02/04/02 04:09 AM Car kits
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Hello all,<br><br>I took advantage of the recent break in winter (temperatures got into the mid-70's) to do a bit of cleaning. Among the things cleaned was my car. I do keep some stuff in the car, just in case. Not as much as I would like to...small car, small trunk space. I noticed that even though I now live in Kentucky, the car kit still reflects the years I lived in Utah. <br><br>The trunk contains:<br><br>Tool kit--nothing fancy, just the basics and lots of duct tape.<br>Two cans of Fix-O-Flat.<br>Flashlights (2)-- with one set extra batteries for both<br>First aid kit--fairly comprehensive as my wife is a nurse and I've had some supplemental training myself.<br>Blankets (4)--these are Army issue scratchy wool blankets. <br>One case of bottled water (2 gal. total.)<br>One box of emergency candles.<br>Two boxes of matches.<br>MRE's (6) --carefully selected to be the ones my family would eat.<br>Two tow straps and two ratcheting cargo straps (for use as improvised come-alongs.)<br>One box of reflective emergency triangles.<br>Spare cell phone.<br>One folding shovel.<br>Spare hoses with clamps and spare belts.<br>One pair of walking shoes with socks--try as I might, I cannot get my wife to wear sensible shoes. The thought of her having to walk miles in her clogs scares me.<br><br>Of course the trunk also contains a spare tire, jack and lug wrench.<br><br>This doesn't eat as much trunk space as one might think. Everything but the water, shoes, flashlights and first aid kit is crammed into the spare tire well.<br><br>So....my question is: What am I missing? What can I get rid of? What do you carry in your car?<br><br>Ade<br>

#3905 - 02/04/02 05:59 AM Re: Car kits
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Hi, Andy!<br><br>Good stuff; most folks don't bother to carry anything... I would not go so far as to say you are "missing" anything. Some items you may wish to consider:<br><br>1. Leather gloves (darn cars parts are always hot when they break down...) - 2 pair are best (for those "need 3 hands" operations). Size for biggest hands in the family and the others can make do.<br><br>2. Something to lie on if you have to wriggle under it for some reason - an inexpensive sleeping pad works well or a bit of corrugated cardboard (knocked flat boxes - they have other uses as well)<br><br>3. Jack pads - scrap plywood and/or dimensional lumber scraps. If you toss in some plywood scraps for pads and some dimensional lumber scraps, that would be best - the lumber can also be used to chock the wheels with and (of course) is a source of kindling as well. As for size of pads - well, figure you may have to lift a ton. "Average" soil will safely bear a ton / square foot... of course, we have some good black dirt around here that will only bear about 800lbs / square foot... if it's dry :-( - say a square foot, then (square or ideally circular), because beyond that size, even 2 thicknesses of 3/4" plywood will splinter up if the soil is soft and the load heavy... Also, enough scrap lumber to safely black up the car on at least one side is in the "nice to have" category...<br><br>4. Carry spare bulbs for the flashlights? Good idea to do that...<br><br>5. Some sort of coveralls - not just for protecting your clothes during expedient repairs. I am very fond of Tyvek coveralls (with a hood and wrist/ankle elastic) - but it may be difficult to purchase a quantity less than 25. OTOH, if they are not ripped... a used set can be laundered and re-used just fine (no heat on dryer or just hang on the line). If possible, get a set large enough to easily go over your winter clothing. Actually, it's pretty nice to have a set for at least both adults... they're so useful for so many things that I won't even begin to write a list.<br><br>6. Some 4 - 6 mil visquene - clear - would be "nice to have" for a variety of uses... I lost a window to a rock from a highway truck once in -of all places - Kentucky - in a rural area - in the winter (since you're already packing duct tape...) Other potential uses are obvious. 100 square feet (10'x10') should be plenty.<br><br>7. A plastic gas can of ~ 1 1/2 gallon capacity and some tubing or hose for siphoning (pttui!!!)? There are "fuel cell" type gas cans available (so you could safely keep it full in your trunk), but IMHO they are expensive and there is the PITA of keeping the fuel fresh... I would simply toss in an empty "can". If your car is a late model fuel injected, disregard - I have been told that it takes about 5 gallons to get over the baffle once they run dry, so less than that will do no good.<br><br>8. Auxilliary jack? Hard to say without knowing what kind of car you own - may not be feasible. We are HUGE fans of Hi-Lift jacks, but we mostly drive full-size trucks/vans in my family. If your bumpers can take it, a junkyard bumper jack in good condition is a lighter, slightly smaller, and less expensive alternative - but rig up a way to keep the footplate securely on in use (welding is good, but bolts are OK - use wing nuts and it is easier to keep knocked down). We could tell enough true-life stories to sell a train-load of Hi-lift jacks - sometimes, that's the best way to get out of a bind or a rut (jack up and kick the vehicle over), for example.<br><br>9. Tire chains? They're just the ticket in slick mud (or snow, of course). A light-duty set for an auto is not very expensive; heavy duty ones for trucks are (on the other hand, how much does a tow truck service cost...?)<br><br>10. Cross lug wrench - just in case your wife has to change a flat that the gorilla at the shop used an impact wrench on the last time...<br><br>11. Visit your local Volvo dealer. They are constantly taking out some sort of rear seat component (carpeted plywood) that has a really nifty cargo net with elastic straps attached - and throwing the whole thing away. Beg a couple off the shop boss. Strategically attach inside your trunk to secure all this stuff... (I must have a dozen of these - wish I could figure out a use for all that carpeted plywood...)<br><br>12. Personally, I like to keep fluids on-hand. Washer fluid, 3 qts oil (if you hole your pan or lose your plug, a *good* expedient repair + 3 quarts in about any size engine will safely get you to a town - has to be a good repair - smog motor crankcase builds up pressure - I suppose one could vent the topside of the engine, even leaving the filler cap off and stuffing a rag in the hole, but not sure that would do the trick...) ATF, if you use that. PS pump fluid (most Fords use the same fluid as the ATF - read the fine print in the manual). Small can of (unopened) brake fluid. A gallon of either anti-freeze or 50-50 pre-mixed coolant. If that's too much, toss a quart of oil and a bottle of WW fluid in and forget the rest...<br><br>13. A funnel with a screen... cheap version is a fair-sized funnel (plastic is easy to cut down if it's too big for some expedient task) and a scrap of nylon window screen duct-taped over the mouth (before the first time you use it).<br><br>14. And along those lines... a sturdy plastic 5 gallon bucket with a lid is a handy thing to have (water resistant storage for some of this stuff, a stool, a bucket, a potty - (oh, better toss in 2-6 kitchen size garbage bags for liners - and don't forget the TP in a ziplock bag!). If you can get your hands on a gamma seal, that's a ton handier than the original snap-on lids. I think The Sportsman's Guide has them on "sale" right now - spendy at about $5, but they usually are that or higher.<br><br>15. You probably have already thought of this, but.. <deep breath> there is the matter of protection of the family from 2 legged monsters... too many personal and legal considerations to discuss here, but I thought it should not go un-considered, so I merely mention it.<br><br>Still have room for luggage? Just kidding... Anyway, I think your list is good. I'm just tossing these ideas out for your consideration. I think there can be quite a bit of tweaking to any kit, car or otherwise, depending on circumstances. A big-city urban car kit SHOULD look different than a "100 miles to the nearest stoplight" kit... there are other things to consider - last thoughts - 50' of cordage, extrication (3 ft crowbar?), seatbelt cutter stowed above the seat line in the passenger compartment, window smasher for those submarine experiences... and your photon II or something similar that you can use hands-free (mouths were invented before headlamps...)<br><br>Gads! Now I've got a ton of work cut out for me re-tweaking OUR car kits! LoL!<br><br>Regards,<br><br>Scouter Tom

#3906 - 02/04/02 08:04 AM Re: Car kits
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A fire extinquisher ! I've stopped twice in as many years to help with a vehicle fire and small brush fire. Just be aware of it's limits. A fully engulfed vehicle has the potential for gas tank explosion and debri. Working with livestock, I also carry a veterinary first aid kit and restraint equipment. A word to anyone carrying extensive first aid- prescription drugs and hypodermic needles are just that. Keep a valid prescription with the meds.

#3907 - 02/04/02 03:24 PM Re: Car kits
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
I'd like to add a couple of comments to Tom's regarding the 5 gallon buckets.<br><br>1. You may be able to get some free from your local Dunkin Donuts. They get their icing in them and usually just throw them out. The icing washes out and doesn't leave a noticable odor behind. I know folks that get buckets that have been used for pickles and it take a looooong time to let that odor wear off. Also, they sometimes have smaller buckets, approx. 3 gallon size, which may be better suited for some cars.<br><br>2. I have the gamma seal too and it's great. If you don't use them, another handy tool to get is a lid lever that's sold at hardware stores in the paint section. I bought a few at $2.50 and they ar worth it. Tie one on to the handle of your bucket with parachute cord.

#3908 - 02/05/02 12:01 AM Re: Car kits
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Tom,<br><br><br>Thanks for the (as usual) good advice.<br><br>Let me address your comments as you framed them.<br><br>1. Gloves---good call. I keep gloves (one pair, leather) in the, drum roll please....glove box. I'm going add another set.<br><br>2. Ground cloth--this has happened already, I used one of the wool blankets. Washed it afterward, or my wife did rather, and put it back. Still smells like grease, but it will keep me warm.<br><br>3. Jack pads--good call. I'll add some soonest.<br><br>4. Spare flashlight bulbs--came with the lights. 3 D-cell mag-lights, bought for the car and used for the car. Only.<br><br>5. Coveralls--I have a set of old BDU's I use for that pupose. Actually, I use them for paintball, but they're in there. I have never even heard of Tyvek coveralls. Tell me more.<br><br>6. Plastic--Not a bad idea.<br><br>7. Gas can--I had one in there, then loaned to a friend and never saw it again. I'll get another, thanks for reminding me.<br><br>8. Hi-lift jack---I to, am a fan. I have one (from when I was an unmarried truck owner), but it won't fit in the trunk (Toyota Corolla). I don't think my wife could lift it anyway. Do you have, by chance a JackMate (www.rescue42.com)? Check it out if you don't. I have one, but have never actually used it, so I can't say for sure whether or not it's worth it.<br><br>9.Tire chains--I have some... in the shed. I'm pretty good about checking the weather, so....(I hear irony looking over my shoulder, saying, "famous last words. He-he." I'll throw them in the trunk.<br><br>10. Cross lug wrench--It's in there.<br><br>11. Volvo thingie--There isn't a Volvo dealership within 2.5hrs of here. This is the "Deliverance" part of Ky. Sounds neat, though.<br><br>12+13. Fluids and funnel--I had both in the trunk at one time. My wife complained about the space they ate up, I resisted. Then one of the bottles of oil leaked all over the trunk and my wife's suitcase (she was on the way to the airport). No more fluids. Not much need for a funnel after that.<br><br>14. 5 gallon bucket---I had thought about it, but not enough room. Oh, the bucket will fit....but the wife, you see. MRE toilet paper (lots) in the glove box. Shovel in the trunk.<br><br>15. Two-legged monster proofing--got it covered.<br><br>Misc--My wife and I both always carry a knife (or 2, or 3), which will work for a seltbelt cutter, and there is an automatic center punch velcroed to the "O-Sh*T" handle on the drivers side. <br><br>Thanks again.<br><br>Andy<br><br><br>

#3909 - 02/05/02 12:05 AM Re: Car kits
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Bill, <br><br>As I told Tom, this the "Deliverance" part of Ky. Nearest Dunkin' Doughnuts is right next to the Volvo dealership. I do get to the big city every once in awhile, though. I'll try to remember.<br><br>Thanks.<br>Andy

#3910 - 02/05/02 12:07 AM Re: Car kits
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Chris,<br><br><br>Thanks!!! I missed that one.<br><br>Andy

#3911 - 02/05/02 01:59 PM Re: Car kits
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Sounds like you don't need one anyway. BTW, other restaurants may have them. I prefer the Dunkin Donuts variety as the icing cleans off easy with hat water and soap and there's little to no residual odor. But I have also used buckets that have held sliced pickles and peanut butter. They just smell a bit funny!

#3912 - 02/05/02 11:53 PM Re: Car kits
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Hello all,<br><br>(Smacking myself in the forehead), Duh!!!! Jumper cables!!!!!<br><br>Actually, they're in there, I just forgot to mention them.<br><br>Between Tom and Bill, I had a brain storm.....Put the 5 gal. bucket into the trunk after all. But, put the fluids and funnel into the bucket (along with anything else that will fit) and then seal it. This will overcome (or at least counter somewhat), my wife's objections to keeping fluids in the trunk. Eureka!!!<br><br>Thanks again guys.<br><br>Andy

#3913 - 02/06/02 12:12 AM Re: Car kits
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Andy, I once went to a restaurant that required ties. I went back to my car and retrieved the jumper cables. I wrapped these in a windsor around my neck and walked back in. the maitre' de said " O.K. Ill let you in sir, but don't you start anything!"

#3914 - 02/06/02 01:01 AM Re: Car kits
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Chris,<br><br>@#$%^&@*&^%#@#$%^&*&%#!!!!!!!!!!<br>My God, that is awful. May I use it?<br><br>Andy

#3915 - 02/06/02 04:17 AM Re: Car kits
Anonymous
Unregistered

BBQ sauce buckets- a cruel trick to pull on college students eating dorm food, making thier spare tire smell better than lunch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.