Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#3819 - 01/29/02 11:31 PM Fishing Kits
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello All,<br><br>I'm sort of doing some market research here to gauge any interest in a tiny & simple fishing kit.<br><br>- 15' - 20' of 30# Spectra Line<br>- 4 Small Hooks - #10 Sproat or Similar<br>- 2 #10 Swivels<br>- 2 1/8 oz. Egg Sinkers<br>- 4 #7 Split Shot<br>- Stored in Zip-Lock Bag or Small Plastic Tube<br><br>All of these would be quality components.

#3820 - 01/29/02 11:49 PM Re: Fishing Kits
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have assembled something quite a bit like this for my kit and heat-sealed it into a very small plastic envelope. My current kit is the thickness of a splitshot and about 3/4 in square. <br><br>If you get creative in your packaging and manage to deliver that kit in a smaller volume I would be interested. Cylinders not longer in length than 2 in would also be interesting. <br><br>I'm not overly fond of losing space within my altoids tin to extra packaging that does nothing more than hold items together. If the packaging makes it possible to carry the fishing kit seperately after removing it from the altoids tin without stabbing myself with the hooks then that would be interesting. <br><br>Still, packing volume is critical for a PSK fishing kit.

#3821 - 01/29/02 11:52 PM Re: Fishing Kits
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Barry,<br><br>My vote is no, not interested. The fishing kit was the easiest of all the components in my PSK to gather. I went to my tackle box.....enough stuff there to make a hundred or so. The other components (the ones I've finished, anyway...my PSK is a work in progress) were, or are, harder. <br><br>What I would be interested in however, is a Blueline web site. Or a catalog. Please.<br><br>Andy<br>

#3822 - 01/30/02 01:06 AM Re: Fishing Kits
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Brad,<br><br>My fishing kit is a 1.5ml cryogenic vial. The kit stands 1 13/16" tall and is 5/8" (with the line in place) in diameter. The vial contains 14 assorted small hooks, 12 Berkley "Big Game" sleeve connectors and 7 assorted small split-shot sinkers. 30' of 20 lb. Spiderwire is wrapped around the vial and is held in place with one wrap of electrical tape. That's the smallest kit I've been able to produce so far.<br><br>Andy

#3823 - 01/30/02 01:26 AM Re: Fishing Kits
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Barry,<br><br>I would be cautious of using the Spyderwire. While strong, it and the other related high tech fishing line have some serious drawbacks. One, it will not hold using traditional fishing knots, which means you have to provide explicit instructions for using it. Second, it is greatly weakened by any sort of knotting or kinking, more so than traditional monofiliment. These are special products for use by a knowledgeable person.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#3824 - 01/30/02 01:48 AM Re: Fishing Kits
Anonymous
Unregistered

i'd love to see pictures of that. Where did you get the vial?

#3825 - 01/30/02 03:46 AM Re: Fishing Kits
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Brad,<br><br>I got them from Evergreen Scientific. I would post a pic but I do not have the technology.<br><br>Andy

#3826 - 01/30/02 09:50 PM Re: Fishing Kits
Anonymous
Unregistered

any idea on a price? Btw I second the catalog and website Idea.<br><br>Brian

#3827 - 01/30/02 10:52 PM Re: Fishing Kits
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

<br><br>As much as I hate to, I must respectfully disagree with what Doug said about Spiderwire. Or half of it anyway...<br>He is right, of course, about Spiderwire's eccentricities. Traditional knots do not agree with it, and it is weakened by kinking. However, the first problem is easliy overcome by learning one (two if you're ambitious) new knot. It's called a Palomor(sp?) knot and is very easy to tie. In my opinion, it is easier to tie than traditional fishing knots. Detailed, illustrated instructions on how to tie it can be found on the Spiderwire web site (spiderwire.com----then click on "knots"). The second problem (weakening due to kinking) is, in my opinion, offset by the fact that the Spiderwire is so strong to begin with. I may be missing something, as often happens, but, for the moment at least, I'm sticking with the Spiderwire.<br><br>Andy

#3828 - 01/31/02 05:01 AM Re: Fishing Kits
Neanderthal Offline
newbie member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Two other features of Spiderwire are important also. Firstly, it doesn't stretch like mono. This increases in significance in survival fishing as it's unlikely one would possess his good old graphite rod. Most important to me, however, is its lack of memory. Mono comes off the sewing bobbin like a coil spring or Slinky. As ade mentioned there are a number of knots to address that difficulty. The Palomar knot has been my favorite for years even before the braided lines. It is one of the few knots that has the same test rating as the mono it's tied wth(most knots are in the 80% range). I'm assuming the not performs nearly as well with Spiderwire. Just my .02. Sorry to be so windy. ___________________________________________ PROVERBS 21:19

PROVERBS 21:19

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.