Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#37921 - 02/24/05 12:07 PM Re: Opinions wanted on this Surefire flashlight: G
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
the only difference I noticed was about the tailcap switch (momentary) : on one G2 model, the switch seems to be less ... smooth (?) than the one on the 6P. Is this due to the material used or is it a manufacturing defect ?? ... no idea

The G2 uses a completely different (inferior IMO) switch design than the 6P and the G2Z. As a result, the G2 isn't water resistaint where the G2Z and 6P are.

-john

#37922 - 02/24/05 03:06 PM Re: Opinions wanted on this Surefire: Thanks
norad45 Offline
Veteran

I went ahead and bought it. From the info everybody provided it looks like it will do the job nicely. Thanks again!

Regards, Vince

#37923 - 02/24/05 04:33 PM Re: Opinions wanted on this Surefire: Thanks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I too found all the comments to be very informative. Decided to order a G2Z last night with a number of accessories.
I have had more battery corrosion issues with Mag Lights than makes sense. I feel a bit safer with the non-metalic casing.
Is the battery offer from SF any better than buying them OTC elsewhere?
Seems like even with a 10 year shelf life it is a lot of batteries to order at one time.

#37924 - 02/24/05 04:46 PM Re: Opinions wanted on this Surefire: Thanks
ksbman Offline

The Nitrolon is very tough; you won't damage it.

I like the G2Z over the G2 because of the better switch and it's easier to hold between my fingers.

There is a LED available for the G2Z (and others) available at BugOutGear.

I carry in my car a G2Z with the LED, and a Spares Carrier with a P61.

The mod is talked about here on CPF.

Batteries from Surefire, Battery Station , or Amondo Tech are a very good deal. They will cost you $5-7 apiece OTC.

#37925 - 02/24/05 05:33 PM Re: Opinions wanted on this Surefire: Thanks
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Quote:
Is the battery offer from SF any better than buying them OTC elsewhere?
Seems like even with a 10 year shelf life it is a lot of batteries to order at one time.

For the straight skinny on how various 123A cells stack up, go no farther than this post on CPF (look at the higher amp rate charts for this application).

The SF batteries are good performers. There have been reports of some SF batteries DOA and some people avoid them as a result. Personally, I've purchased a lot of the SF batteries with no issues. However, to be on the safe side, I have switched to the Streamlight batteries which have top notch performance and no existing reports of problems. However, they are more expensive. I buy mine through brightguy.com. Many people like the batterystation.com batteries which are ok performers and cheap.

In the end, check out the graphs and avoid the really bad performers (see the Marathon and Golston) and buy in bulk over the internet and you pretty much can't go wrong.

-john

#37926 - 02/24/05 05:40 PM Re: Opinions wanted on this Surefire: Thanks
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Quote:
I have had more battery corrosion issues with Mag Lights than makes sense. I feel a bit safer with the non-metalic casing.

I assume you mean corrosion on the *inside*? There is a (coated) metal sleave inside the G2/G2Z lights. However, I think you are right about them being much less prone to corrosion. However, I suspect the reason is the battery chemistry, not the amount or location of metal.

FWIW, I've also had several Mag lights die due to corrosion issues. I keep 123A based lights in my car (worst case I think) and have never had a problem.

I think I've read that alkalines tend to get pretty flaky once they've discharged. I think the key is that you want put fresh batteries in a "car" type light fairly often. My guess is 1 year MAX (if you don't use it).

-john

#37927 - 02/24/05 10:08 PM Re: Opinions wanted on this Surefire: Thanks
Anonymous
Unregistered

John, thanks very much for both of your responses. The issue on corrosion in the Mag Lights has been a pain for almost all that I have owned. I have a box full of spare parts as a result. Never tied it to a particular battery type, but this could be the case.
I am looking forward to the new SF light, my first purchase from them.

Thanks again for your responses.

#37928 - 02/25/05 12:14 AM Re: Opinions wanted on this Surefire: Thanks
bountyhunter Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
I have owned one 2 "D" cell Maglite for almost twenty years in my stints in maintenance and HVAC-R and have never had a rust problem. The one thing I did not like about my Maglite is that no one has spare lenses for them. I had to replace the reflector once when I got silly and messed it up while cleaning it, and my local gun store had the reflector, but no lenses. I wrote Maglite to complain about them not pushing the stocking of lenses by their dealers, and they sent me 2 lenses free of charge with an apology. The one thing I do not like is the focusing feature of Maglites. I had a small double "AA" Pelican penlite that threw a very nice intense solid beam, but the cost of replacing the bulb assembly is too impractical for the type of abuse I used to put my tools through. I am waiting to see some of the new Pelican lights with the reflector facing bulb and what kind of beam they put out. Currently my 2 "D" cell sits in my bedroom with Radio Shack High Capacity Rechargeble batteries in it and a spare set sits in the drawer so that one set is always charged. I recharge them using a 25+ year old GE slow charger that requires 13 hours plug-in for a complete charge.

When I worked regularly, I used whatever the boss supplied, and when the power started to fade, I put in new batteries. The one flashlight I have that sits in my car with 6 "AA" batteries sits empty in the glove box until I need it and then I put the batteries in to use the flashlight. No battery leakage problems so far, and if I put a set of batteries in and they are dim or not working, I have two more sets. The double "AA" flashlight in my glove box is a $0.99 cheapie that throws a nice solid beam and works. I consider it a junker and it is almost 6 years old and still works great when needed.

Bountyhunter

#37929 - 02/25/05 03:20 AM Re: Opinions wanted on this Surefire: Thanks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am not sure what the issue is with my experience. I do have two 2 D Mag Lights that I have not had corrosion with. I tend to have better luck with composit lights. I have a number of Pelican lights I rely on now, but I do carry a few disposables in the trunk of my car as "leave behinds" if necessary. I do like the Pelican Super Saberlit submersible. It is a decent light with a great beam, a tad big. The Pelican lights with side by side AA batteries are of a nice size and easy to stow. I like to stick with lights of the same battery type as much as possible of late.
Flashlights are just one of those "tools" that you can't have too many of.

#37930 - 02/25/05 05:53 PM Re: Opinions wanted on this Surefire: Thanks
bountyhunter Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
Skater:

Do you always keep batteries in all your flashlights?

The cheapie in my car is always empty because I have been taught that discharged batteries tend to leak more than good batteries.

The 2 "C" battery Eveready Captain and all the 2 "D" flashlights in my house are equipped with rechargable batteries. When rechargables start to fail, they refuse to recharge, or discharge at a rapid rate after recharging and I toss them and replace them. I will never again buy Panosonic rechargable batteries because they have not stood up under use as well as the Radio Shacks brand. The Radio Shack batteries cost more in both regular and high capacity, but they have always outlasted Panosonic in total use, and length of use after recharging.

I have ruined flashlights in my younger years by keeping batteries in them when they were not used for long periods of time, and I have even had a radio suffer battery leakage after prolonged retention of batteries in the radio when it was not used. Everything that uses batteries now, but is not used regularly has the batteries removed and packed or taped to the unit to guard against battery leakage damage.

One more thing, I have never had a regular (Rechargables have never leaked in use or long term non-use.) battery leak when not in a device, even though it may have expired and did not work any more. What is your experience in that regard?

Bountyhunter

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 252 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.