Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#3657 - 01/24/02 12:21 AM Lithium batteries
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm trying to understand the pros and cons of various kinds of flashlight configurations.<br><br>How does a person know if he/she can place lithium batteries inside a particular kind of flashlight? Can I use lithium inside of a mini-maglite? Inside of my Petzel headlamp?<br><br>What is the advantage of lithium? Do they cause a flashlight to illuminate brighter, longer, or both?<br><br>Thank you very much for all responses.<br>

#3658 - 01/24/02 04:26 AM Re: Lithium batteries
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, you can get lithium AAs and AAAs if you look hard enough and have a deep enough wallet.<br><br>They are lighter, and they hold thier charge longer, that's thier real edges. Better shelf life, IIRC, to.

#3659 - 01/24/02 05:10 AM Re: Lithium batteries
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
They beat the socks off others in cold weather, too, and energy density is very high (highest?). Great radio batteries - lightweight and powerful. I have not used the standard cells (like AA), though - are they 3 volt instead of 1.5 volt? Seems like I read that somewhere - like, either a dummy cell or a bulb change needed for incandescant lamps. I know the electronics in my LED flashight are not rated for lithium AAs - maybe that's why?

#3660 - 01/24/02 05:41 AM Re: Lithium batteries
jet Offline
Enthusiast

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>I have not used the standard cells (like AA), though - are they 3 volt instead of 1.5 volt? Seems like I read that somewhere - like, either a dummy cell or a bulb change needed for incandescant lamps. I know the electronics in my LED flashight are not rated for lithium AAs - maybe that's why?<p><hr></blockquote><p>I just checked my lithium AAs; they're 1.5v, just like alkaline AAs.

#3661 - 01/24/02 01:59 PM Re: Lithium batteries
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
The manufacturer of my LED flashlight recommends using lithium batteries.

#3662 - 01/24/02 02:20 PM Re: Lithium batteries
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Xavier,<br><br>Lithium batteries offer a number of advantages over alkaline: They have a long shelf life, up to 10 years, with 90% to 95% capacity, or better, retained. Lithium batteries also deliver far better cold weather performance, the improvement over alkalines only increases as the temperature drops. They are much lighter than alkalines by over one third (14.5g vs. 23g for AA size). That can add up if you are using a number of battery powered devices.<br><br>Down side? They are expensive. <br><br>The AA's also put out more than their rated 1.5 volts regardless of what they say on the case and in their technical data; it's 1.6-1.7 volts. In most instances that isn't a problem, in some it is. Some bulbs are more fussy about over voltage than others. The only way to know for sure, if the manufacturer doesn't say, is to try them yourself. Some manufacturers say no lithiums as a matter of course, even though they have no reason to. For example, Pelican does, but I have a written letter from them stating that lithiums are OK for their 2xAA-cell lights.<br><br>I have not been able to get good info on the actual voltage of the lithium 9-volt battery.<br><br>Note also that there is a AA size battery that puts out 3.2 volts and a D-cell size one that puts out 3.6 volts. These are not commonly available, so shouldn't create a problem.<br><br>I use lithiums in everything and wouldn't use anything that won't acccept them.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#3663 - 01/25/02 01:06 AM Re: Lithium batteries
Anonymous
Unregistered

They you all for this information!<br>Xavier Phx, AZ

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.