Laurence Gonzales has committed his life to the discovery of what it means to truly be a survivor. From childhood to adulthood, his many associations and experiences coupled with his insatiable desire to discover what it means to be a survivor have made him clearly qualified to pen "Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies and Why". Devoid of tool lists and techniques, this great contribution to our world spoke right to my soul. I ascended and descended every mountain with him, counted every step, heard every bird and watched every sunset as the psychology of human survival slowly opened before me as would a giant curtain for the opening act of a stage play.

I started reading "Deep Survival” with the idea that, after having finished the book, I would know how to survive almost any calamity. But each chapter, each episode still had me wondering if I would be a good candidate. Could I recite the characteristics that a textbook survivor must have? Yes. Did I understand the meaning of these character traits? Yes. Did I have some of these traits? Yes. But . . . did I have any traits that might kill me? I had to answer - Yes. I am certain, however, that my heightened awareness will greatly improve my chances.

Having evolved over the millennia from tribes-people living daily with nature to taking for granted our many modern-day comforts and conveniences, our human society is more susceptible than ever to succumbing to the harsh realities of our environment. With more and more of us seeking psychological relief in the solitude and beauty of secluded places, more and more of us must become aware of the psychology of surviving the possible. It's too bad that many of the venturesome among us won't have even heard of this book, let alone read it. They'll be laying out in a snowdrift atop some mountain somewhere as there situation grows more desperate by the minute wondering out loud "Why me, why me?". If I am ever that person, at least I'll know the answer.