Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#35947 - 01/03/05 06:43 PM Re: No locks on checked luggage???
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I guess I have been lucky, all of my post 911 trips to Ecuador involve transporting large quantities of medical supplies/equipment, medications, and I always pack a PSK of some type in each check-in duffel bag. To date, I have had no problems with pilferage or lost luggage.

Pete

#35948 - 01/04/05 02:07 AM Re: No locks on checked luggage???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I do this too -- I use boring black cable ties, but they're the really long ones so that it's obvious when the TSA has opened my stuff. BTW, Susan, I think the "no locks" thing has been going on for at least a year or longer. (The only thing is that now I have to remember to keep something in my carry-on -- like heavy-duty nail clippers -- to cut off the cable ties at my destination ... I don't want to dull my pocket-knife by sawing at that plastic!)

#35949 - 01/04/05 04:20 AM Re: No locks on checked luggage???
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Quote:
I have to remember to keep something in my carry-on -- like heavy-duty nail clippers

Uh, aren't those a no-no now? Anything you can open a cable tie with could be a weapon.

#35950 - 01/04/05 03:03 PM Re: No locks on checked luggage???
Paul D. Offline

Loc: Porkopolis
The last time I flew I used cable ties/zip ties to hold the zippers shut. They were actually in place when I got my luggage. I also used some more ties to attach my Spyderco to a D ring inside the luggage. It isn't that hard to break the ties if you use the small ones. None of this is real security, but it reminds the handlers that my luggage couldn't accidentally open itself.

#35951 - 01/04/05 06:45 PM Re: No locks on checked luggage???
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

i haven't flow for awhile, but i thing i will will let my luggage be sealed in plastic. Or get numberd luggage seals, doubt anyone just happens to have the same seal with the same number..

#35952 - 01/04/05 07:56 PM Re: No locks on checked luggage???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nah, nail clippers are supposed to be permitted -- see the TSA list.

#35953 - 01/05/05 01:39 PM Re: No locks on checked luggage???
Milestand Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Maggot

Martin is right, working for the TSA is a license to steal ... selectively, of course. It's happened to me, more than once.

But this last trip, out of the country, NOTHING was taken coming or going. The only difference was that in each case was a laminated tag with the words, "All Contents of This Suitcase Were Inventoried and Photographed Prior To Departure."

Of course, it could just be a conincidence ...

Now that is the work of a thinking man!

#35954 - 01/13/05 09:54 PM Re: No locks on checked luggage???
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
I have yet to fly anywhere since 9/11, but I'm working on a plan based on what others have said and on what I want. Here it is:

1. Carry-on underseat bag with migraine meds and other medical essentials such as Mylanta, Exedrin, earplugs, etc.
2. Small carry-on for bin-storage. This holds a day or two worth of clothes and other small items.
3. Medium carry-on to be checked. This will hold clothing and an inexpensive version of my EDC, including easily replaceable Swiss Armys and such.
4. Another medium (duffle?) bag for FedEx-ing. This will hold the rest of my stuff and my full-bore EDC.

Bags 3 and 4 above are likely to be small to medium carry-on types. I'd rather not combine them into one larger, more unwieldy bag.

-- Craig

#35955 - 01/16/05 01:38 AM Re: No locks on checked luggage???
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Flying has returned to the miserable, crowded, delay-ridden level of pre 9/11. In the year 2004, I logged 32 round trips from Newark to San Fransicso, and about 12 other trips to other locations. This is what I'd call a "moderate" travel year. In that time I learned quite a bit about carry-on versus lost (or, as some prefer to call it "checked" bags). First of all, airport security is barely doing anything.
Case in point: on one of the trips to SFO, my son "helped" me pack by putting a 4" steak knife in my carry on bag without my knowledge.
I passed through the first level of security, nobody noticed the knife. For some reason, I had to exit the secure area (I think I forgot something on the concourse), and go through security again. Again, no knife. When I got to the gate I was randomly selected for a bag search at the gate, and they STILL didn't find the knife. I found the knife, tucked into an interior pouch, when I got to SFO and unpacked.

I've decided that for trips that would take 6 hours or less to drive, it's just not worth the hassle of flying. For me, this includes trips to DC, Boston, NY, Pittsburgh and a few other locations.

And never check your bags.

#35956 - 01/16/05 01:39 AM Re: No locks on checked luggage???
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
You're only allowed 1 carry on now. That's why you'd best wear an e-vest for you proposed under-seat items.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.