Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#3560 - 01/22/02 06:56 PM Re: survival skills
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sterile water is available in "easy to use" containers. AquaBlox brand sterile water is available in both an 8oz and 1 liter juice box type container. The 8 oz looks just like the standard juice box while the 1 liter is just a larger version. These are good to store in your 72 hours kits or a couple in the car "just in case"<br><br>They are sold as emergency rations with a 5 year shelf life. Following is a link to their website. http://www.aquablox.com/index.html

#3561 - 01/22/02 07:26 PM Re: survival skills
billvann Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NE Illinois, USA (42:19:08N 08...
Two short questions:<br><br>1. Where does one purchase sterile water?<br>2. I carry a small bottle of liquid waterless soap in my fanny pack. Is that suitable replacement for regular soap for washing wounds?

#3562 - 01/22/02 08:14 PM Re: survival skills
Anonymous
Unregistered

I took and completed the EMT course in one state. Passed the examination and moved out of state the next week! Fortunately the next state recognized my certification. Was a volunteer EMT for about a year. Had kids and they took more of my time. A year or two later joined a rescue squad. They required all team members to have or earn their EMT. My certifcation had expired so I took the course again (110 hrs). Passed the examination. EMT requires continuing education credits to maintain your certification. I have not kept up with the con. ed. so it has lapsed again.<br><br>Do I use it? Sure. Everyday with kids around. Instead of wondering if I need to take them to a hospital, I apply a little bit of basic patient evaluation. Running calls for a year also helped me to develop confidence in my skills as well as remain calm during periods of panic. My kids, as well as other kids, visibly calm down as soon as I start treatment. Most times they only require a hug and a bandaid and send them on their way.<br><br>Is it a skill that people interested in survival should learn and practice? I think so. If you cannot put the time in for the 110 hours of EMT, I would suggest the Red Cross 40 hr Advanced First Aid or sometime known as First Responder. A very good intro to First Aid that will help the average joe immensely. What supplies to keep on hand depend on your point of view and depth of your wallet. I have heard some say only keep on hand things you are trained for. Others say keep advanced things on hand in case you have a need and you happen to have a higher trained person around. 95% or higher of the calls I ran while driving an ambulance I used 4x4 guaze pads, roller gauze and tape. 10%-25% of the patients got an IV so the hospital would have a way to push drugs easier or to replace basic fluids. Assisted with the birthing of a couple babies. Messy but nothing terribly supply intensive. <br><br>HAM and other radio based communications seem the most reliable method to keep track of information if/when tv and am/fm radio stations stop broadcasting. They also provide a method of communicating with your own party. We have four FRS radios that we seldom if ever use. My family seems to have developed the skills to return to the exit point or go to locations that make it easy for everyone to find them. I would be happy to have my personal phone service turned off and never miss it so I am probably not a very reliable resouce for the need of communications equipment ;^)

#3563 - 01/22/02 08:17 PM Re: survival skills
Anonymous
Unregistered

<br>http://www.aquablox.com/index.html<br><br>

#3564 - 01/23/02 12:10 AM Re: survival skills
hthomp Offline
Outdorus Fanaticas
Journeyman

Loc: AR
I think that you are abosolutely on target with the training that you are engaged in. Good luck with those classes and any others that you may undertake. It is the training and preparedness that we on this forum work on that turn potential life-threatening events (especially to the non-prepared) into coping situations that we weather through. Granted, there ARE going to be things that none of can handle, but....day in and day out....I amaze those around me by producing something or a skill needed seemingly from the blue sky. I am glad that I will be able to do that when the chips are down, too!

#3565 - 01/23/02 05:09 AM Re: survival skills
red_jeep Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Raleigh, NC
The Red Cross course you mentioned looks very promising:<br>http://www.trianglearc.org/ARCweb/Education/emergency_response.htm<br><br>In fact, I tried to take it, twice. The class was cancelled both times due to lack of interest. The Red Cross requires at least 8 individuals signed up to even hold the class.<br><br>I looked into this training because I'm a member of my employer's Emergency Response Team (Medical,etc.) The training I received was good, but left me eager to learn more. <br><br>I do a lot of off-road adventures, which can be quite dangerous, so I thought it would be a good idea to get some solid training (and equipment). I assembled a comprehensive medical kit using a combination of Doug's kits and some others. http://www.aeromedix.com/articles/medikit/medikit.html<br><br>Also, I'd encourage everyone interested in emergency communications to obtain an amateur radio license and a good 2m HT. It's quite easy, really can save your life.<br><br>Cheers!<br>red_jeep

#3566 - 01/23/02 02:09 PM Re: survival skills
Anonymous
Unregistered

Redjeep,<br><br>The link you posted was to a local chapter of the Red Cross. I reviewed your profile and you live in my town. Wake Tech Commnunity College offers the EMT course fairly often. It normally takes about two or three months of 2 nights a week and a couple of Saturdays. Cost is low. The chief of my rescue team teaches the course about twice a year for the college. Check with Wake Tech for a class schedule and I am sure you will find one running soon. If not, contact me offline and I will hook you up with my chief. He sometimes runs classes for the local fire departments and rescue squads.<br><br>If you company has an ERT team, maybe the company can schedule the First Responder class for the entire team. That should make it possible for you to get 8 students. If the Red Cross can't get a class together to meet your needs, my rescue team can provide first aid training customized to meet the needs of your team. <br><br>My rescue squad is always looking for new members. Your offroading experience and first aid interest provides a good base to build on if you are interested in joining a SAR team. We provide all the training for free and have lots of cool gear to play, opps, I mean practice with. Military night vision goggle, thermal imaging, GPS, computer mapping, two-way radio, K9, etc. We also offer training in other areas of rescue that might help you in your off-roading. Check out our website at www.redsteam.com for a basic overview. <br><br>Feel free to contact me or the addresses on the website to answer any specific questions you might have.

#3567 - 01/26/02 07:24 AM Re: survival skills
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am taking a Red Cross basic first aid class that includes Infant CPR, and CPR as well as First Aid. But I would like to take some basic self-defense skills classes. I am able to handle myself but would like the chance for some "hands on" practice. Any Suggestions?

#3568 - 01/26/02 07:51 PM Re: survival skills
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This is a little out of our normal discussion, but not wholly inappropriate. Most folks seek out the classic martial arts schools. While usefull, remember that many have evolved into highly structured sports. Judo and ju-jitso are two very different children from the same parent! There are numerous courses geared to 'street smart survival.' Find one that is realistic, teaches a heavy dose of street smarts and awareness ( avoiding trouble is so much easier.) I avoid any instructor with a 'colorfull' persona. My Judo sensai was a 5' 80y/o priest-who delighted in tossing me around at will LOL

#3569 - 02/02/02 02:32 AM Re: survival skills - Martial Arts Training
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with you Chris and would add that avoiding trouble is more useful than most Martial Arts training. I have taken Aikido for over 10 years from Tabata Sensei (9 Dan) and am now 3rd Dan. Aikido teaches to avoid conflict. Run. We train to live a happy, health (long) life.<br><br>In the context of short term survival in an emergancy our most important asset is our body. (Without it we don't survive...grin) Time invested in conditioning the body, either through formal Marial Arts training, sports or running will increase strength and endurance. These same activities can also condition the mind to react more quickly, and with calm even in an emergency. <br><br>In the event you find youself hanging upside down in the cockpit of a small aircraft you are better able to manage your survival if you are in good health, mental and physical. It's not as easy as carrying a PSK (which I do btw) but it pays off every day! <br><br>

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.