Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#34179 - 11/08/04 11:53 PM Better container for small AMK kits
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
I tried carrying Doug's kit and the Pocket Medic kit in my pants pockets for awhile. Those vinyl envelopes didn't work real well for me.

I tried a LOT of other solutions -- bigger, smaller, hard case, plastic bags etc., but didn't improve on anything. Then I tried these cheap little sewing kits:

http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com/Mer...ategory_Code=38

I think I like this really well as a container. Or something similar. Should be easy enough to sew up a custom version with exactly the dimensions and features I want.

I think it's important to have the top and bottom edge of the container snug up against the long, vertically stacked items, like the whistle, SparkLite, tape, fishing kit, etc. That keeps them aligned, upright, and prevents them from bunching at one end of the container.

Anyway, the little nylon pouch lets you fold the top over nice and snug. It slips into my pocket easily, and since it's cloth it can conform to my leg and pocket in the slimmest package possible.

The only things it's missing are water resistance and transparency. I think I can live without those. Carrying the vinyl pouches for only a month or so put a couple of little pinch-cracks in them, so they're not waterproof any more. I guess I can slip the fire starters (I've added a mini-Bic to my kit) and flashlight into a little zip-loc plastic bag if I start to worry about getting wet.

Bear

#34180 - 11/09/04 07:13 AM Re: Better container for small AMK kits
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
What kind of fastener?

#34181 - 11/09/04 03:38 PM Re: Better container for small AMK kits
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Susan: There's a ribbon sewn on the outer edge of the top flap. You wrap one half of the ribbon one way, the other half the other way, then tie them off on the far side. -- Bear

#34182 - 11/10/04 02:18 AM Re: Better container for small AMK kits
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
I must admit I'm on my third AMK vinyl pouch right now. Great little pouches but I'm pretty hard on my EDC gear. I am currently experimenting with other options also.

#34183 - 11/10/04 02:46 PM Re: Better container for small AMK kits
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Brian: Please inform us of any discoveries you make. I'm going to try this model, as well:

http://store.yahoo.com/campingsurvival/ocasekit.html

I also think the plastic tubes, roll of duct tape, and spool of thread are needlessly bulky when striving for a flat pack.

I've replaced the plastic tube and tweezers from the Pocket Medic with Sliver Grabber tweezers. Almost identical form, but with a clip to protect the point. I also transferred my personal meds from plastic vial into a flat, ziploc baggie.

http://www.slivergripper.ca/

In the PSK, I'm thinking of using a flat roll of duct tape, striving for roughly the same size as the mirror. The needle, fishing gear, and safety pins clearly don't need to stay in their plastic tube.

The spool of thread isn't as easy to fix. I either have to wind a flatter spool, or find a cardboard bobbin, or wind it around the pencil or something.

Bear

#34184 - 11/11/04 04:10 PM Re: Better container for small AMK kits
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
I have tried pretty much everything that you mention... flat, extremely thin "rolls" of duct tape, flat meds packaging etc. I have yet to find something I am really happy with and my kit is still currently much larger than I would prefer. As far as containers, here are the ones that I have tried that I can remember (I'm sure I'm leaving out a few.

Standard Altoids Tin
Round Altoids Tin
Mini Altoids Tin
Round Candle Tin
AMK Pouch
FAK Nylon Pouch
Small Plastic Boxes (in a variety of shapes and sizes from SparkLite to FAK)
Empty Zippo Lighter Shell
Dental Floss Box
Spark Lite Box
Spec Ops T.H.E. Wallet Junior
Regular (very small) Eagle Creek Wallet
Key Ring
Caribiner
My Pockets
Taped around a knife sheath (much like a large version of Cody Lundin's mini kit)
Maxpedition M-2 Waistpack (many smaller kits have been put in the M-2 along with a Storm Shelter Instant Pocket Tent)

#266574 - 01/14/14 06:29 PM Re: Better container for small AMK kits [Re: dchinell]
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

This post is from long, long ago, but I've discovered a pocket carry option that I wanted to share with you.

The basis is the Ziploc pint freezer bag. It's not the most durable plastic bag ever, but the idea is to replace it every month or so.

What it needed was something to provide protection on the outer face and to create a rigid structure to keep everything from collapsing in a clump.

My solution was to cut up one of those thin plastic cutting sheets. Currently, I'm using a piece that's 3-3/4 x 6-3/4 in. (9.5 x 17 cm) with rounded corners.

Protection on the inside face is provided by a folded paper hand towel. This is the plush kind you encounter every so often in a restroom or used as a napkin at a restaurant. The paper towel is what I use in place of a handkerchief to give out to people who need it.

Between these two faces, the material and gear inside stays pristine.

Bear

#266576 - 01/14/14 07:40 PM Re: Better container for small AMK kits [Re: dchinell]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Try wrapping duct tape around the vinyl kits, making sure they can still close. Use a bright color, like orange or red, so you can find them if they drop on the floor/ground.

#266581 - 01/14/14 08:53 PM Re: Better container for small AMK kits [Re: dchinell]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I like harder shell kits; Rubbermaid box or similar. More crush/dust/waterproof.

T RO

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.