Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#3244 - 12/30/01 09:23 AM Anyone visiting The Netherlands soon?
Bagheera Offline
journeyman

Loc: The Netherlands (Europe)
Hi guys and girls,<br><br>Through some streak of luck and a bunch off Dollars I managed to buy myself off Ebay a as new Military Sleeping bag system the Goretex bivy bag, two sleeping bags with different temperature ratings and the compression stuff sack.<br><br>Mailing it to the Netherlands will cost me dearly and if one of you is visiting the netherlands the next month or two it could be a lot cheaper for this old scout wink to get the sleeping bag if you could take it with you as luggage.<br><br>If anyone fly's over to The Netherlands and is willing to take the 8-9 pounds sleeping bag system with him I would be extremely happy.<br><br>Best Scouting wishes from Holland,<br><br>Bagheera

#3245 - 01/24/02 02:49 PM Re: Anyone visiting The Netherlands soon?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Consider this old scout, why not get the SAS Cobra Bivi and 2 kestrel sleeping bags from Snugpak. This is how I've done it. The Bivi is fully goretex and in olive green, with a sewn in bug net. It's a terrific piece of kit, but it'll set you back a bit. It weighs 1050 grams. The sleeping bags too are in olive green, and weigh 1100 grams each.

#3246 - 01/24/02 06:41 PM Re: Anyone visiting The Netherlands soon?
Bagheera Offline
journeyman

Loc: The Netherlands (Europe)
Hi Jampot,<br><br>Just returned from a 3 day kick-off meeting 100 miles below Paris with 30 of my colleagues.<br>One brought with him the Modular sleeping bag system that I bought for less then $170 in excellent condition.<br>Closer inspection lets me belive that this GI Modular sleeping system never ever has been washed let alone be washed to clean. The whole package is new in my opinion and I've used the individual bags one night each just to see how they felt etc.<br>I'm extrenmely pleased with the whole setup and to be honest that $170 is the most money I ever spend on an outdoor article (I'm Dutch perhaps that has to do something with it wink )<br>We still have a $80 2 person tent that we bought as students (tight budget) and that's more then 24 years ago.<br>That tent has been used for at least 4 weeks a year and still is waterproof (coated it a few times during the past 24 years) and has withstood storms and rain that looked like one was camping below Niagra Falls. This happened in Normandie France and we were among the few who had a dry tent inside will super dooper tents were flooded one way or another.<br><br>To make a long story short, I'm PLEASED and happy I bought it and I get the impressions I got it for a very decent price.<br><br>Best Scouting wisehs from Holland,<br><br>Bagheera

#3247 - 01/24/02 08:20 PM Re: Anyone visiting The Netherlands soon?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You said that combo is 8 to 9 pounds in weight. That's simply too much for something like that. I chose the SAS Bivi coz it's the least claustrophobic bivi design you can get, so long as the mouth remains open(with a hootchie this is no problem), and not many goretex bivis have a sewn in bug netting. The reason I choose 2 identical 2 season sleeping bags has to do partly with balance. I support them on the outside, strapped to the side of the rucksack. This is desirable coz sleeping bags absorb body perspiration when used. So for longterm usage this is desirable. You can also switch which one goes on the inside if you're using both. Using both together gives 4+ season usage as you know, but if I pull out every piece of spare clothing I have and place it between the two bags then the rating bumps up to 5 seasons or more. I have a down vest I use for this very purpose. The other trick is to modify the bags with some loops sewn inside so that the clothing, especially the vest can be secured over the chest area, without slipping to the side. The other good thing is that any clothes that might be a little damp can be placed between the 2 bags, and in the morning they stand a good chance of being dry. Even the 3 pieces (50cm x 100cm) of viscose towel I carry can be used to bump up the sleeping bag rating. There are many things you can do to give yourself 5+ season protection without lugging an 8 - 9 pound sleeping system around with you. Ortlieb sell a number of waterbags and sacks. The 10L sack in black makes a good portable shower, with the shower accessory, but the 10L waterbag can be used as a hotwater bottle. That thing stays warm till morning, but don't pour boiling water directly into it.<br>I'm on another one of my tirades, but the truth of the matter is most camping equipment is a load of sh*t, concocted by people who don't really know the score.

#3248 - 01/24/02 09:22 PM Re: Anyone visiting The Netherlands soon?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have done many searches on the SAS Cobra Bivi with no results. Where can it be located?<br><br>Hunter

#3249 - 01/24/02 10:26 PM Re: Anyone visiting The Netherlands soon?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can purchase it here, a British company. As I said before, it's a great piece of kit. Incidentally, the manufacturers are Mountain Range.<br>http://www.edirectory.co.uk/shopcart/pages/moreinfo.asp?recordID=5288&PriceCode=<br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.