Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#32344 - 09/26/04 05:20 PM Re: "Family-Friendly" Office PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Unfortunately, I'm in circumstances very similar to those you describe. Probably worse. Typically more than 30 miles from my vehicle, and in a building where I face the possibility of having to go through metal detectors and having anything I carry x-rayed, they nonetheless encourage you to have a "go-kit", implicitly if not explicitly for evacuation after a terrorist attack.

Those who have been on this forum awhile can imagine how I feel about not even having a pocket knife for those circumstances.

Anyway, I've devoted a lot of thought to it, and probably more money than you want to devote to these kits, but you might want to consider that such an evacuation can happen any time of year, in any weather. In a large event, people might have to go some distance on foot... one of the things we learned from 9/11 is that you want to KEEP GOING, not stick around to watch the drama unfold, to try to hail a cab, or to take "shelter" under a handy awning. You want to keep putting distance between you and the "action" by any means available.

One of my first thoughts would be a poncho of some sort- even a disposable one (if not too terribly fragile) would be very welcome in some circumstances. It may not provide much insulation in the cold, but there's no quicker way to hypothermia than being both wet and cold.

I also carry a fleece cap, a fleece neck gaitor, and a flat-folding pair of ear warmers in the winter, and a rolled-up canvas brimmed hat in the summer. I don't know how much you're willing to invest, but none of those items cost a lot. Keeping the head warm in winter and cool in summer is half the battle, and gear to do that is much more compact and effective (per weight and bulk) than the equivalent gear to do the same for the rest of the body.

#32345 - 09/26/04 05:38 PM Re: "Family-Friendly" Office PSK
forester Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Oregon
No, it was a slightly smaller model without the clock (I didn't see it on their website). The store I went to did have the model you show with a price of $19.99 (it looked like they were clearing those out as well). I was looking for a radio as small and inexpensive as possible with the ability to power it by hand. If the store I went to wasn't located three and a half hours away, I might go back and see what kind of extra features the other model has. Some kind of weather band would have been nice.

Terry

#32346 - 09/27/04 06:10 PM Re: "Family-Friendly" Office PSK
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
While we're talking radios...

I've had a chance to try out both the Grundig FR200 and Sony SRF-M37V during blackouts due to our recent Florida hurricanes.

Both have features to commend them. I particularly like the Sony with its weather stations and TV reception for channels 1 through 13.

I found that the TV audio was a great source of information. Most of the TV stations assumed that people in blacked-out areas would be listening to their audio, and did expanded descriptions of the weather and hurricane tracking.

Bear

#32347 - 09/27/04 07:48 PM Re: "Family-Friendly" Office PSK
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks- I have the FR200 (which seems at least better than the Baygen/Freeplay radios), and have been seriously thinking about the SRF-M37V. I have been carrying a tiny coin-cell powered radio EDC, but it's FM only.

I note that all, or virtually all the SRF-M37Vs on ebay are refurbs. That can be good or bad- sometimes it indicates that there was some problem with the initial release of a product ("bug"), and the refurbs are the only ones you can be sure are fixed....

#32348 - 09/27/04 10:55 PM Re: "Family-Friendly" Office PSK
jamesraykenney Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Beaumont, TX USA
Quote:
Thanks a ton, guys. Once again, you've come through. The Countycomm tip was great, too. Never heard of it before.

Do not thank them too much for the CountyComm.com link yet..
Now that you have found it, you too will be broke soon!

Just at tip...Go over to www.candlepowerforums.com and join(it is free.)
CountyComm.com has some GREAT deals for CPF members. Their BugOutBag is so cheap CPF members that I am temped to buy ANOTHER one(I already have 2,) but now they have one that has been gone over by MAXPEDITION and been given their treatment...What to do...What to do??????

Edited by jamesraykenney (09/27/04 10:59 PM)

#32349 - 09/28/04 01:22 PM Re: "Family-Friendly" Office PSK
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
I bought my Sony SRF-M37V new about 2 years ago, and have had no problems with it...the eBay auctions I've seen lately are selling refurbs for only a few dollars less than a new one (around $30).
About a year ago there was a sale of a stock of slightly used ones - AmEx logos on them, given away at the U.S. Open, and the prices were much better...around $12-$15 each, or about $21 for 3. Wish I'd picked some up at that price.

#32350 - 09/28/04 03:59 PM Re: "Family-Friendly" Office PSK
X-ray Dave Offline
Addict

Loc: Nevada
I went with the inexpensive radio from CC for my parents BOB. That and batteries from the Dollar store did the job. BTW both the AM/FM and the SW from CC are decent radios, I keep one of the AM/FM at work.

#32351 - 09/28/04 09:24 PM Re: "Family-Friendly" Office PSK
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
I have two of those little blue AM/FM radios and was surprised how well they work considering how cheap they are.

#32352 - 09/28/04 10:22 PM Re: "Family-Friendly" Office PSK
X-ray Dave Offline
Addict

Loc: Nevada
I played around with the SW radio and a antenna made of 10 or 12 feet of speaker wire, logged 20 or 22 overseas stations.
I was impressed, small enough to take along on vacation and have fun with. I did a post some time ago listing all the stations/countries.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.