Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#31028 - 08/30/04 10:15 PM Re: The right pocket knife?
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
What about this one ?

#31029 - 08/31/04 04:29 PM Re: The right pocket knife?
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
I love the axis lock. Best lock I have ever used. I am notoriusly rough on knives and I have "broken through" more than one liner lock. It's pretty scarey stuff! For that reason I dislike folder's in general and avoid them in all posible situations (with the exception of SAK/Leatherman type multi-tools). That being said I am forced to carry a folder for EDC due to the craptacular socio-political environment in which I live and work. Recently I discovered Doug's Benchmade RSK and the axis lock system and I must say I trust it more than any other locking system. When I am REALLY useing it hard, I take a small pebble (outdoors) or a zip tie (at work) and place it behind the locking mechanism. This makes it even that much more secure and makes me feel a lot better. IMO nothing is as safe as a sheath knife, but if I have to carry a folder, my first choice is the RSK.

#31030 - 08/31/04 06:20 PM Re: The right pocket knife?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have owned liner lock folders of many types , shapes and brands for 20 years. I am also hard on knives . I can also say that i have never busted a liner lock folder ever. I have melted ,rusted snapped many blades but never the lock itself.

Of course given the right cricumstances all blades will break. The liner lock is a time proven locking device but like eveything you get what you pay for.

From my experience Iiner locks are fine abused and used with dirt sand and crap all int them becuase of the lack of maechanical parts. The jury is till out on the axis as it has another 3o years to prove itself.

Opinions are just that. No one less valid than the other.

This reminds me of the space race story, about the USA spending millions developing a pen that would work in space and the Russians used a pencil.

Sometimes you can over engineer something as well.

I am sure the Ritter knife is a f ine knife but I don't trust the lock until its been around longer than a year or 3 or 10.

My 2 cents your mileage may vary.

Flip

#31031 - 08/31/04 06:22 PM Re: The right pocket knife?
brian Offline
Veteran

Loc: Texas
You just have to be careful how you grip a knife with a liner lock or you will release it inadvertently. Not necessarily break or bend the metal itself. Perhaps "break through" was not the best way to describe the situation.

#31032 - 08/31/04 07:45 PM Re: The right pocket knife?
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Quote:
This reminds me of the space race story, about the USA spending millions developing a pen that would work in space and the Russians used a pencil.

That's a great story, but not true. Parker developed the pen on their own, and then sold it to NASA. NASA was already using pencils, but there was the worry of graphic dust getting into things and causing problems with delicate electronic instruments. And then there was Apollo 1. Also, the Russians use the space pen as well. More info here:

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

Edited by GoatRider (08/31/04 07:48 PM)

#31033 - 08/31/04 09:36 PM Re: The right pocket knife?
Anonymous
Unregistered

"That's a great story, but not true. Parker developed the pen on their own, and then sold it to NASA. NASA was already using pencils, but there was the worry of graphic dust getting into things and causing problems with delicate electronic instruments. And then there was Apollo 1. Also, the Russians use the space pen as well. "

As I said a story.

One thing that is fact is the Russians are much more adept at manufacturing items that can be fixed with a hammer rather than high tech maintenance.

Case in point the Mig family of figher jets vs the USA's hightech wonder jets. No less effective but more hardy. The PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. system could not afford to manufacture high maintenance equipment.

While the story is 80% myth it still has a lesson.

No doubt where the KISS principal came about.

Flipper

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.