Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#30730 - 08/27/04 01:15 AM Re: Vehicle Fire Extinguishers - From a Fireman
Wellspring Offline
journeyman

What would be a good brand/source for a quality extinguisher suited to vehicular use?

#30731 - 08/27/04 02:46 AM Re: Vehicle Fire Extinguishers - From a Fireman
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't think Halon is allowed any longer due to environmental issues.

#30732 - 08/27/04 03:49 AM Re: Vehicle Fire Extinguishers - From a Fireman
rbruce Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
I don't think Halon is allowed any longer due to environmental issues.

I am in the Air Force and we still have Halon extinguishers for use on aircraft. However, we can not use those extinguishers in training, and if we do use one for real it has to be reported to the EPA.

Robert

#30733 - 08/27/04 04:49 AM Re: Vehicle Fire Extinguishers - From a Fireman
Anonymous
Unregistered

Interesting input. I have a few 5 pound units for my computer room; good fire fighting capability and no clean up as far as I know. I have not used one as of yet.
I do know that I will not be able to get them refilled.

Having to report your usage to the EPA is interresting. I have heard the fire supression characteristics of Halon are top notch. Too bad it is not friendly to the environment.

#30734 - 08/27/04 05:29 AM Re: Keeping a fire extinguisher in your car
Anonymous
Unregistered

You may want to consider looking into Around The Campfire for the subject Mayhem Management.
Even with a good vehicular fire extinguisher, the effort to battle a vehicle fire is VERY dangerous, in many ways.
Probably worth reading, as it might make you consider using a fire extingusher on a vehicle fire in a very different manner.

#30735 - 08/27/04 11:48 AM Re: Vehicle Fire Extinguishers - From a Fireman
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
The manufacture of halon in the US was banned many years ago but the existing stockpiles are still allowed to be used. Which means that it is getting more expensive, not nonexistent, what is amazing is that FE36 the currently environmentally friendly halon 1211 replacement still cost about three times as much as halon that has not been manufactured in over a decade.

#30736 - 08/27/04 12:25 PM Re: Keeping a fire extinguisher in your car
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
I put out a car fire in a garage. Right under the sleeping occupants of the bedroom over the garage. Don't want to know what would have happened if I did not take the garbage out that night. I tried to get the county to change its fire detector requirements and require one in the garage linked to the ones in the house. Lets see, cars, gas, lawn mowers, camp stoves, oil...........

Bill

#30737 - 08/27/04 01:12 PM Re: Keeping a fire extinguisher in your car
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
RE Fire in the garage:
That's why I like the way my house is setup - seperate garage about 10 steps or so from the back door of the house. Plus here in NYC all "New build" garages (since the 60s I think - but a long time anyway) have to be either brick, block, or concrete construction - aka TRUE fire resistant. If seen cars burn in them - you usually loose the door, the roof, and anything IN the garage, but even in apartment houses (where there are multiple garages) you usually don't loose the next garage

(Note for folks who don't know NYC - a LOT of NYC is single family houses on 40-60x100-120 lots (approx), although 60x120s are fairly rare)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#30738 - 08/27/04 05:00 PM Re: Keeping a fire extinguisher in your car
Anonymous
Unregistered

Interesting point.
I am not a professional plumber, but I know my way around mapp gas, solder and a torch.
I have wondered if it would be worth the peace of mind to put a few sprinker heads in the garage as a precaution. I am sure it would not meet "code" but it just could prevent a fire from spreading. Even if done with copper tubing as opposed to galvanized pipe, it would help. Water damage could be great, but considering the consequences, it might be worth it.
Any thoughts?

#30739 - 08/27/04 05:36 PM Re: Keeping a fire extinguisher in your car
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
While I am not a fire suppression engineer, nor do I play one on TV, although there was this little acting troupe I was in, did a lumberjack skit...oh wait, wrong forum. I have the National Fire Protection Association (governing body for this stuff) standards for water suppression. I could look up the basic requirements. It would need to be a wet pipe system (always filled with water) unless you wanted to install the fire pump. I don't know how readily available the nozzle components are, but the rest is just piping, generally threaded, galvanized pipe. The only issue I see is that you would probably want to/have to remove it if you sold your house. These systems also take alot of water. You may want to hook up 3-4 sprinklers on short hoses and see what your water pressure can accomplish in terms of volume.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 266 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.