Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#301689 - 05/26/23 09:15 PM Re: This Place Is a Ghost Town [Re: jshannon]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: jshannon
The effect would be..there would be nobody left to connect to the internet.
https://www.industrytap.com/supervolcanic-eruptions-as-powerful-as-100000-nuclear-bombs/10038

It seems like there may be a decline in population, according to the details shared in the link. However, it's good to know that people can still make use of the internet.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301690 - 05/27/23 02:05 AM Re: This Place Is a Ghost Town [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
However, it's good to know that people can still make use of the internet.Jeanette Isabelle

I suggest you re-read the article and consider the effects of volcanic winter on all the people and businesses and infrastructure that makes internet access available to you and me.

If software engineers are busy raising rats and mushrooms to eat (neither requires sunlight), they will not be in their cubicles keeping end user services running.

Parts of the internet will survive, primarily for government and perhaps some critical businesses that have prepared for such events.

I sincerely doubt that ordinary peasants like you and me will have access. I would certainly not rely on it.

#301696 - 05/28/23 02:49 PM Re: This Place Is a Ghost Town [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
If a nuclear weapon hits your city, accessing the internet may not be possible.

Jeanette Isabelle

Certainly not if only thing left of you is a shadow on a wall.

#301698 - 05/28/23 05:38 PM Re: This Place Is a Ghost Town [Re: Herman30]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Herman30
Certainly not if only thing left of you is a shadow on a wall.

If you are at ground zero during a blast, you will become a shadow on the wall. Those further away may survive but will still not have access to the internet.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301764 - 06/07/23 01:02 PM Re: This Place Is a Ghost Town [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Speaking for myself-

Only so much "preparing" you can do. Whether it's budget, space available, family buy-in....since logging in here, I've moved to 4 different states, and added a wife and 2 kids. Kind of hard lugging all this stuff around.

Most "disasters" are known and repeatable- tornado, hurricane, snow storm, etc. You get used to having things on hand to handle it. Not every issue needs a full blown radiation suit/gas mask/open the bunker/crank up the generator/bust out the MRE case.

There's life outside of this forum.

The base website, ETS, hasn't changed in years (decade?). If DR isn't putting in the effort to stay updated and relevant, that says something.

#301768 - 06/07/23 01:28 PM Re: This Place Is a Ghost Town [Re: MDinana]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Only so much "preparing" you can do. Whether it's budget, space available, family buy-in....since logging in here, I've moved to 4 different states, and added a wife and 2 kids. Kind of hard lugging all this stuff around.

Most "disasters" are known and repeatable- tornado, hurricane, snow storm, etc. You get used to having things on hand to handle it. Not every issue needs a full blown radiation suit/gas mask/open the bunker/crank up the generator/bust out the MRE case.

I like to be prepared for any situation so that I can always feel comfortable. However, it's important to have perspective so that I don't make mistakes, like overspending on ChapStick.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301774 - 06/07/23 03:01 PM Re: This Place Is a Ghost Town [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Preparing is more about mindset than equipment, IMO. My goals are probably different than yours, and I don't have the anxiety that you've mentioned on occasion. I plan to keep fed and watered for 5-7 days. I don't need radio, power, warm water, bubble baths, sun screen, 3 changes of clothes..... etc (yes, deliberately over-the-top examples).

And there's a point when prepping is a euphemism for "hoarding."

And at the end of the day, you just have to survive long enough to leave the impact zone. A can of gas and a $50 bill is likely enough for 80% of people. Life goes on outside of a disaster.

#301776 - 06/07/23 03:12 PM Re: This Place Is a Ghost Town [Re: MDinana]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: MDinana
And there's a point when prepping is a euphemism for "hoarding."

I found myself purchasing forty-eight tubes of ChapStick, which made me realize I needed to step back and take a deep breath.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301781 - 06/08/23 06:49 AM Re: This Place Is a Ghost Town [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland

I like to be prepared for any situation so that I can always feel comfortable.

NEWS FLASH: You canīt. Not for every situation.

#301783 - 06/08/23 01:46 PM Re: This Place Is a Ghost Town [Re: Herman30]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Herman30
NEWS FLASH: You canīt. Not for every situation.

Not any situation. That gets into scenario prepping. My goal is to maintain a set level of comfort regardless of what happens.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.