The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#301405 - 01/23/23 08:41 PM Durable Equipment
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
We already have four or five Sawyer Minis, but I'm considering getting a Sawyer Squeeze in addition because the Squeeze is more durable and lasts longer.

I have two plastic Spark-Lites, but I'm considering a brass Spark-Lite because the brass version is more durable and will last longer. If you recall, I ruined a plastic Spark-Lite years ago when I dropped it in the fireplace.

In addition to the above examples, what other durable survival gear should be considered? By "durable," I mean something that should last for years.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301406 - 01/24/23 09:29 AM Re: Durable Equipment [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Define 'last for years'.

You can focus on something that last for years in storage and still be usable. Or focus on usable after continuous use for years. Or something in between. There is always a trade off is size, weight, price, ergonomics, etc. Define the use case and pick accordingly.

Ferro rods corrode; a sparklite uses a tiny one and is enclosed, so it's hard to protect the rod itself and the rod is tiny to begin with. You could seal it in a proper package; but that defeats the sparklite main advantage; one hand operation. A big fat basic ferro rod can be easily wiped dry after use, coated if needed and just has more of it. Both have their ideal use. You also get things like the blastmatch which sits in between.

Waterfilters; for long term storage and use at home; i have a ceramic one. Tried and tested technology. It's slow because the filter surface is limited, but you can scrub off the filter surface and basically reset it. Which is, in mine experience, far more effective and reliable than backflushing a hollow fiber filter like the sawyer. For long term use, that is more important. But for portability; I just go for the sawyer and carry extra bags (the ones from sawyer aren't great in quality/not that durable) and tabs as a backup.

The easiest way to see how something is designed is to look at the target audience. For 'camping' it generally means small/light/limited use. For 'industrial' usually means last for years in a continuous use (although a lot of proper professional brands, don't need to advertise it as such. They just use there solid reputation).

#301407 - 01/24/23 01:37 PM Re: Durable Equipment [Re: Tjin]
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks for your question. The focus is on usable after continuous use for years.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301409 - 01/24/23 04:10 PM Re: Durable Equipment [Re: Tjin]
Carpal Tunnel

I'm considering your suggestion for a ceramic water filter, such as the Katadyn Pocket, as it could be more reliable than the Sawyer Squeeze for bug-in and bug-out.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301410 - 01/24/23 05:18 PM Re: Durable Equipment [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Or something like the Katadyn Hiker. I keep one in my backpack and have a spare filter at home as well.

#301411 - 01/24/23 05:40 PM Re: Durable Equipment [Re: Eugene]
Carpal Tunnel

Though the Katadyn Pocket is not cheap, it's warranted for twenty years and can filter 13,000 gallons of water per filter. Moreover, it weighs less than a pound.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301412 - 01/24/23 06:48 PM Re: Durable Equipment [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

That's why i suggest the hiker, its maybe a little bigger but less cost.

#301413 - 01/24/23 07:07 PM Re: Durable Equipment [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

The Katadyn Pocket is a beast, made very heavy duty, but so is the weight/price compared to other models. "Pocket" is really the wrong name for it. It's the heaviest and bulkiest model i have used.

The Katadyn hiker is a fiberglass based unit. Which is relatively cheap, but doesn't shine in anything. It doesn't clean well when clogged.

If you want a bug-in filter: I would pick a gravity based ceramic filter. Gravity because I haven't found anybody that thinks that pumping is fun and without a pump, there is no pump that can fail (no valves, less seals and the seals are not moving). Berkey is a common one (not No NSF/ANSI Certification) or Katadyn Drip. You can also buy separate ceramic elements; allows you to use any watercontainers. (options for models with hoses, so no drilling required, or kits that allows you to use two buckets and make a Berkey filter like system.

If you want a bugout: define your scenario. I don't personally don't expect to filter much if I need to evacuate; so portability would be mine higher priority and i'll pick something like the sawyer. Pump or squeeze is handy if you fill and are on the go. Gravity is still handy, but a model based on a drybag/waterbladder is more suitable for portability.

#301414 - 01/24/23 08:30 PM Re: Durable Equipment [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sure pumping is no fun, but I can be hiking and stop at a stream and toss the pickup hose in and pump my bladder/bottle full and go on with filtered water ready to go. Easier than having two bottles and having a filtered/unfiltered one.

#301415 - 01/24/23 08:31 PM Re: Durable Equipment [Re: Tjin]
Carpal Tunnel

I can't include the Katadyn Hiker for the reason you mentioned: it doesn't clean well when clogged.

We have two Berkeys. That alone is enough reason to exclude anything else for bugging in.

I can't give you a scenario.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.