The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#301362 - 12/28/22 01:28 AM Buffalo woman dies after car gets stuck in snow
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
What advice would you have given this unfortunate victim?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/buf...642a8e2b8799fd7

#301363 - 12/28/22 01:42 AM Re: Buffalo woman dies after car gets stuck in snow [Re: aardwolfe]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Sounds like she was running the engine in a small enclosed space buried in snow.

So other means of staying warm, blankets/sleeping bag.
Carbon monoxide alarm?

#301365 - 12/28/22 07:02 AM Re: Buffalo woman dies after car gets stuck in snow [Re: aardwolfe]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
That one is truly tragic! It seems if she'd have just had a sleeping bag and didn't run the car she'd have been fine. This is probably the situation I'm the most prepared for! I'd be comfy down to about -40 F or maybe a bit lower, got a pair of Wiggy's bags in the Subaru at all times. Plus a pair of Wiggy's mittens, some hats, extra gloves, a pair of Wiggy's Arctic Pac boots, saw, axe, shovel, small tent, tarp, ground pad, tow strap, etc. Usually I've got a couple of Mountain House LRP rations in there as well not that it's a strict necessity. If the car is doing the hauling why not be prepared? That reminds me, I gotta go throw my crampons in the car!

#301366 - 12/28/22 04:07 PM Re: Buffalo woman dies after car gets stuck in snow [Re: aardwolfe]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
My advice would have been, in order from best to worst: (1) don't go out (2) if you HAVE to go, make sure the car is ready for it, full tank of gas and fresh show tires, have warm stuff (sleeping bag, blankets, whatever you have access to...) in the car in case you get stuck of course hats / gloves boots basic food / water (3) if you didn't do any of that and you're relying on the car for heat, keep the entire exterior of the vehicle free from snow, ideally with a shovel you brought, less ideally, if your arms / hands. Just the tail pipe clear MAY be enough, but also may not be if exhaust is blowing under the car and getting inside. If you can, park it under a structure (bridge) or near a structure to help reduce snow pile up before getting truly stuck. Unlikely that'd happen though.

#301367 - 12/30/22 05:36 AM Re: Buffalo woman dies after car gets stuck in snow [Re: aardwolfe]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I'm looking at this and I'm mad as hell. This is a stupid series of deep failures, right down the line. This person should absolutely be alive and well.

Those of us who go into wilderness accept a certain level of risk. We are out often out of communication with the world, and we act accordingly, and prepare for eventualities, and take our lumps if it goes wrong.

But the person in question was not lost in deep wilderness. If I understand correctly, she was fully connected to the Internet and emergency services and her family, and in a viable shelter. How in the hell did noone along that entire chain fail to give her the dirt simple information that would have kept her from dying from carbon monoxide poisoning?!

So yep, I'm pissed off about this. Such a waste, so preventable.

#301368 - 12/30/22 07:50 PM Re: Buffalo woman dies after car gets stuck in snow [Re: aardwolfe]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
This is the elephant in the living room of survival I never understand. Why no sleeping bag in kits? Yes they are heavy, bulky items, but except on the warmest summer nights, you are going to be a wreck, or dead after the first night.
qjs

#301369 - 12/30/22 09:30 PM Re: Buffalo woman dies after car gets stuck in snow [Re: quick_joey_small]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
This is the elephant in the living room of survival I never understand. Why no sleeping bag in kits? Yes they are heavy, bulky items, but except on the warmest summer nights, you are going to be a wreck, or dead after the first night.
qjs

Yeah, especially it makes sense in a car where the car is carrying all the weight. With bags there's cheap, warm & light- pick any two. You can get an inexpensive bag that's pretty warm but it won't be light, but what if it weighs ten pounds? Your car weighs 3,500 pounds, you'll never notice it.

#301371 - 12/31/22 04:17 AM Re: Buffalo woman dies after car gets stuck in snow [Re: aardwolfe]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Well, first off, there is reason to suspect this fatality was a knowledge failure, not a lack-of-equipment failure. Obviously we don't know the whole story, but carbon monoxide is the more probable cause.

Regarding the gear discussion: in a car, the challenge is a human calculation. You can add good gear like a sleeping bag, but will it be in the car when someone needs it? It takes up space, it's in the way, and aside from a few ETS diehards it probably won't be in the car on the extremely rare occasion when it's needed. And as discussed elsewhere, the clear consensus is that putting this sort of gear in stealthy locations, out of sight, is a really, really stupid idea.

#301373 - 12/31/22 01:48 PM Re: Buffalo woman dies after car gets stuck in snow [Re: aardwolfe]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
For the adolescent Magnets, my expectation is going to be something like: “Dad put an emergency kit in my car and made sure I knew where it was and what was in it. I don’t remember much but I can find it.”

#301378 - 01/02/23 04:42 PM Re: Buffalo woman dies after car gets stuck in snow [Re: dougwalkabout]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Regarding the gear discussion: in a car, the challenge is a human calculation. You can add good gear like a sleeping bag, but will it be in the car when someone needs it? It takes up space, it's in the way, and aside from a few ETS diehards it probably won't be in the car on the extremely rare occasion when it's needed.

I was too young to remember, but a long time ago, the engine caught fire as Mom was driving, and, as it so happens, a sleeping bag was in the trunk. Thinking quickly, Mom used the sleeping bag to extinguish the fire, and the fire did not do much damage due to her quick thinking.

The moral of the story is a sleeping bag can come in handy in more ways than one.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.