Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#301050 - 05/31/22 04:55 AM Re: What is every knife design best used for ?? [Re: Chisel]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Having seen Chisels picture I must correct myself; I like and have a wharncliffe.
Donīt have much use for a knife but mostly cutting up boxes or sausage packages for grilling or whittling some sticks. For those tasks I feel wharncliffe is perfect.

#301051 - 05/31/22 10:17 AM Re: What is every knife design best used for ?? [Re: Herman30]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I read long time ago, that sailors in the past who climbed ship sails used Wharncliffe knives specifically. If the knife fell it won't stab anyone under, as the knife's tip is not centered, and the center of garvity of the knife is on the back of the blade, so it most likely fall on its back.

In these days, this can be applicable to electricians or handy people climbing ladders with someone down assisting them. It is worth considering if it proves to be true.

#301052 - 05/31/22 10:25 AM Re: What is every knife design best used for ?? [Re: Herman30]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Once on You tube, I saw a bushcrafty lady with a clip point knife. The clip was so exaggerated, it is almost a reverse hawkbill and similar to persian. This design makes the tip so easy to break. OTOH, the knife is great for filleting a fish.

#301053 - 05/31/22 03:44 PM Re: What is every knife design best used for ?? [Re: Chisel]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Chisel
I read long time ago, that sailors in the past who climbed ship sails used Wharncliffe knives specifically. If the knife fell it won't stab anyone under, as the knife's tip is not centered, and the center of garvity of the knife is on the back of the blade, so it most likely fall on its back.

I would think a sheepsfoot would be better at ladder drop mitigation than a wharncliffe. Wharncliffes are still quite "pointy".

#301054 - 05/31/22 07:09 PM Re: What is every knife design best used for ?? [Re: haertig]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

You are right.

You remind me of a colleague at work who brought a cheap knife to work. It was a fruit knife, and had a rounded tip. I liked it so much that my evil mind started daydreaming of 'borrowing' it. LOL.

Another colleague had a diver's knife which had a partial chisel head. Looks like a drop point with a broken tip. And the 'broken' tip was half-inch wide. That would be great all around camp, and great for digging, or removing bark ..etc.

#301055 - 05/31/22 07:15 PM Re: What is every knife design best used for ?? [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I don't remember al the details but may be looked like this .
Although I think it was heavier
Would be great for working in the garden

#301056 - 05/31/22 10:35 PM Re: What is every knife design best used for ?? [Re: Chisel]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

I think divers probably have a greater need to pry things rather than stab them, and that's where the blunt tip comes from.

#301057 - 06/01/22 12:06 AM Re: What is every knife design best used for ?? [Re: Chisel]
Tin Offline
Stranger

I make knives as a side business and I personally prefer a clip point. Almost all the knife people I know have gone through a tanto phase. I know I did. But the traditional tanto would not be my choice for a survival tool. That's not what it's designed for. Neither is a dagger. When I was an apprentice I reshaped a few Cold Steel SRK for people. Some of my own designs came out of those modifications and the original designs. As always this is jmho.

#301058 - 06/01/22 02:53 AM Re: What is every knife design best used for ?? [Re: Chisel]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I find a blunt prybar tip has a lot more practical utility than people give it credit for. The only problem with dive knives is that the steel is generally lousy, chosen for corrosion resistance rather than edge holding.

These days, my favourite work blade in my garden, woods, and shop is a chisel-tip wrecking knife. This is a symmetrical scandi-grind with a thick spine. People literally laugh at it because it doesn't "look right." Then they use it for a while and come to respect its utility as a tool.

It digs, scrapes, pry's, and cuts like a champ. I would take one into the bush any time. Better still, I bought a raft of them on a clearance for $5 each.

Personally, I think the macho mentality that "I need a sharp point to kill a grizzly bear with my knife and skin it out after" is pure armchair horseradish. (There are of course practical uses for a sharp tip; I'm not dissing those at all.) My 2c.

Edited by dougwalkabout (06/01/22 02:56 AM)

#301059 - 06/01/22 04:38 AM Re: What is every knife design best used for ?? [Re: dougwalkabout]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
The only problem with dive knives is that the steel is generally lousy, chosen for corrosion resistance rather than edge holding.

Corrosion resistance is probably the number one priority for a dive knife. More important than edge holding. They haven't yet come up with "the one perfect steel" for every knife use. That's why we have so many to choose from. Each one is a compromise. The steel, the blade shape, the blade length, the handle ... everything is a compromise - and you choose which one fits your primary need the best. For working in the yard and around the house, my choice is a Mora Companion Heavy Duty made of high carbon steel. I wouldn't dive with it though.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.