Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#300994 - 05/12/22 01:53 PM Lifevac
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
So I recently found out about this product:
https://lifevac.net/

A paramedic I know is really excited about it and I'm going to take a look at one when I can meet up with him in June. Anybody here have any experience with it or know anything more about it? From what I can see so far it looks like it may be worthwhile.

#300995 - 05/12/22 03:11 PM Re: Lifevac [Re: pforeman]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
An interesting product. I would want to learn a bit more about it before committing to purchase. Question #1: Would this device be more likely to evacuate the obstruction you are going after, or stomach contents? Question #2: How does it perform for partial obstructions, or obstructions where the offending piece of food/whatever is small, and is not creating a seal on its own - the seal is created by the offending piece pinning the epiglottis down over the trachea?

If this device has a good track record in real world saves, and has not been found to delay other possibly better treatments - then what a fantastic idea! It's definitely worth investigating. But I wouldn't jump right in and buy one without first doing that additional investigation. This is an example of a device that I would put much more trust in 3rd party (uninvolved) doctor recommendations that in company advertising department recommendations.

#300996 - 05/12/22 07:40 PM Re: Lifevac [Re: pforeman]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I purchased one of these devices several months ago.

I have a very damaged throat with one paralyzed vocal cord which has an implant to push it to the center so the remaining vocal cord can close off the trachea when needed. So far my wife has had to literally jump on my back to dislodge an obstruction as I was passed out on the floor.

I tried all the usual tricks like falling on a table edge and falling face forward onto the floor. Nothing worked and my vision became black and white, with tunnel vision fading to black. I revived spontaneously when the obstruction was expelled. An unpleasant experience.

I was messing around with it and found the amount of suction to be quit strong. Hope I never have to depend on it.

I believe it has a 3(?) year expiration date.

The alternative is a self tracheotomy which according to the literature has been successful....once.

#300997 - 05/13/22 11:48 AM Re: Lifevac [Re: pforeman]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
Never heard of it until a tangential mention on the news. Must have some public reputation as being good.

#300998 - 05/13/22 01:09 PM Re: Lifevac [Re: williamlatham]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Probably worthwhile in a special situation like Nomad's. Other wise kind of specialized and expensive. There may be more effective ways to spend the money. how up to date is your FA training, etc?

The Heimlich works well most of the time(if properly done) and needs no special equipment.....

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 176 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.