Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#300965 - 04/15/22 06:17 PM Fire escape mask & hoods
Acropolis50 Offline
Journeyman

Given the recent mass shooting on the NYC subway and the gunman’s employment of smoke generating devices, in the subway car and tunnel, I have a new found impetus to replace my expired XCaper Smoke Mask. As I’ve written before, albeit the XCaper site is still “up”, calls and other attempts to contact the company indicate disconnected phones and no other responses to inquiries. Conclusion= They are defunct.

I’m again researching a small , light, reasonably priced alternative, fire escape mask or hood, that I can fit in my EDC bag, replacing the expired XCaper mask and swim googles, I have heretofore relied upon.

. One prerequisite is that the unit absorb CO for its effective life of 30-60 minutes, otherwise it’s just a glorified N95 or N100 unit. A plus, but not a requirement, would be effectiveness against radioactive particles ( IEO a “dirty bomb”) and protection against basic war gases and ricin .

My research is down to the IEvac mask/ hood ~$200 and the Going Gear Fire Escape Mask/Hood ~$39.95. You may be familiar with the IEvac hood from the events of Jan.6,2022 at the Capitol in Washington D.C. That was the unit being worn by the Congress Members and Staff. It fits all the protection prerequisites and optional preferences. But it is heavy, relatively large in storage and expensive.

The Going Gear Mask / hood fits the fire smoke and CO absorption requirement. I’ve inquired via text as to chemical, biological, radioactive particles. No response as yet. It’s also much, less expensive, lighter and smaller in storage than the IEvac unit. But, I can’t find any independent testing or NIOSH rating, or government endorsement equivalent to Congress and the Secret Service purchases of theIEvac unit.

Do any of you have any further knowledge, experience or comments regarding these units or suggestions for alternative products?

#300966 - 04/15/22 10:23 PM Re: Fire escape mask & hoods [Re: Acropolis50]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

The issue is certifications. All well and good to advertise good for CO, etc., but has the mask/hood passed any sort of independent certification process? Ask to see a copy of the certification and testing. At least as a minimum. Back when I was looking at this stuff, few claims were backed up any actual independent testing.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#300967 - 04/16/22 01:58 AM Re: Fire escape mask & hoods [Re: Acropolis50]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Seeing the cost of those I would stick with a buff/bandana and some water, per the ole scouting methods.

https://scoutingmagazine.org/2011/10/escape-safely-from-smoke-or-flames/

#300968 - 04/16/22 11:37 AM Re: Fire escape mask & hoods [Re: Acropolis50]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I think you mean “Go Time Gear” rather than Going Gear for the less expensive device.

#300969 - 04/18/22 01:27 PM Re: Fire escape mask & hoods [Re: Acropolis50]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
What appears to the same as the "Go Time Gear" mask is available here for $23 https://www.campingsurvival.com/products...xMaAsY9EALw_wcB

It seems to be a Chinese generic mask available here for even less in bulk: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/F....4cd1df00v7w2oz

But Doug is of course correct, without proper certification in country (As it even says on alibaba...) it is tough to trust.

#300971 - 04/19/22 03:37 PM Re: Fire escape mask & hoods [Re: Acropolis50]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
Just carry a N95 mask would ne my advice. 3M makes one that folds flat in a plastic protective cover that are pretty cheap. The more expensive smoke escape hoods are advertised to protect from hydrogen cyanide and carbon monoxide in non-IDLH (Immediately dangerous to life or health) environments. Like Doug said, those statements are meaning less without certification. A N95 may not provide protection from hydrogen cyanide and carbon monoxide, but nothing short of supplied air will truly provide protection.

#300972 - 04/19/22 03:53 PM Re: Fire escape mask & hoods [Re: Acropolis50]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
There is an option I ran across when working in corrections -
https://readimask.com/readimask-store/large-yellow-adult-with-shield/

While it seems to be marketed toward the health profession, there was a black version that we got some of. They worked for pepper spray which was the goal back then. They are one use and done. I like the face shield for eye protection.

#300973 - 04/20/22 12:39 PM Re: Fire escape mask & hoods [Re: Acropolis50]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
This might be an alternate that is DIN approved

https://en.safetygas.com/parat-7500-escape-hood-fire-industrial

Not small though.

#300976 - 04/21/22 04:53 AM Re: Fire escape mask & hoods [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Acropolis50 Offline
Journeyman

First, thanx to all of you for taking the time to give me a studied and serious reaction to my question. I had already checked out the adhesive mask and eliminated it for 2 reasons, first I wear a close cropped , but full beard= sealing problem. Second, reading the spec.s and the text, it says they are applying for an N-95 rating. As Alan says I could just use a good N-95 mask and I could add the swim googles I used to use with the XCaper mask. And that’s what I may end up doing as an interim (non-/partial) “solution. The Parat 7500 mask is already more expensive that the IEvac hood and without the same certifications or accceptances by viable Gov’t. Agencies.

That leaves us with , what was correctly commented upon as the “ generic Chinese “mask/hood, marketed by different outfits at widely varying prices. As Doug and others, correctly observe, it’s about the Certifications.

I note the alibabba advert. contains three certifications. On looks like a Common Market Cert., the other an EU Cert. and the third a Republic of Ireland Cert. It it is all , frankly “Greek to me”?? “ Tough to trust” as already noted. Do thes noted Certs mean anything to any of you? Please take a moment and let me know. Again. Thanx to all.

#300977 - 04/21/22 03:43 PM Re: Fire escape mask & hoods [Re: Acropolis50]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Acropolis50

I note the alibabba advert. contains three certifications. On looks like a Common Market Cert., the other an EU Cert. and the third a Republic of Ireland Cert. It it is all , frankly “Greek to me”?? “ Tough to trust” as already noted. Do thes noted Certs mean anything to any of you? Please take a moment and let me know. Again. Thanx to all.

I'm unable to read the certification images they placed.

So a generic summary: for Europe: EN403 is a 'Respiratory protective devices for self-rescue' standard; however they also come with a release/update year behind the standard. Since that isn't written; this is the first red flag.

For PPE; a 'notified body' is required to do testing to make sure items are according to standard. Notified body are testing labs; they are assigned 4 numbers and printed after the CE logo.

The 4 numbers can be found on the EU website and guide you to the website. Most have a search option to see if the certification is current.

I have played with the Chinese ones and they have very high breathing resistance. No experience with use in smoke.

Personnally focussing on other things would be my priority. (fire standards, smoke detectors, escape routes).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.