The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#300798 - 03/10/22 03:30 AM Checking Out Gear Readiness
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Just finished doing a routine check of items I have stashed for emergencies, a practice I have begun since power cuts have become more routine here in SoCal.

Primarily I check the charge state of batteries and whether my various gadgets are functioning. Almost always there are some surprises, fortunately minor this time. But i am sure that hauling out your stash and reviewing its suitability is worth the fairly minor amount of time required - I highly recommend periodic inspections.

#300799 - 03/10/22 06:58 AM Re: Checking Out Gear Readiness [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yep, maintaining your stash is an ongoing process, it never ends! grin

#300825 - 03/17/22 03:12 PM Re: Checking Out Gear Readiness [Re: hikermor]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Being "prepared" has recently become so much more challenging now that I feel nuclear war is on the table again for the first time in 30+ years.

Setting that aside, looking at normal preparedness for shortages, storms, etc., it looks like within the next couple of months we'll be getting solar and batteries at our house. That means we could potentially go w/o grid power indefinitely (very much season/weather dependent).

I currently have a gas generator and enough fuel to last me several days (depending on whether I run it 24/7 or say only 4-8 hours a day). It will be REALLY nice to decommission (drain gas, fresh oil, store) the generator and have to keep less gasoline on hand. Refreshing my current stores every ~6 months is always a time consuming process. Refreshing smaller stores will be easier.

Moving on from power needs, much of what I keep on hand is daily use items. Basically, everything that's shelf stable that we use upstairs I keep a spare of in the basement. When the spare comes upstairs, it goes back on the shopping list to replenish the spare. And we tend to buy Costco sized items so the one that's upstairs usually lasts months.

The same is relatively true of non-consumables such as battery packs. I use them for boating, camping, etc. and they're also there for an emergency.

Along the lines of other multi use items, I keep more propane and camping stove fuel on hand than I need just for adventures, so it is there during a storm, etc., as well.

Being in the northeast I haven't had a lot of opportunities to test my emergency preparedness and I hope it stays that way, but the handful of times I have lost power or been snowed in, it has never been a big deal with what I have on hand.

So I guess things kind of work?

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.