Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#300765 - 02/28/22 02:55 AM Stealth Equipping Someone's Car?
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Here's a hypothetical:

Many people (not me) keep neat, tidy interiors in their vehicles. They abhor clutter, much preferring emptiness. This of course means they have no resources if they should be stranded.

I find there is a lot of spare space around spare tires, maybe under seats, and so on, where gear could be neatly and surreptitously packaged and stowed.

What would you sneak in while they weren't looking? It has to be stuff anybody could use to help themselves.

Also, would they even find this stuff? Thoughts?

#300766 - 02/28/22 03:19 AM Re: Stealth Equipping Someone's Car? [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
water, mutitool,snacks,headlamp to get started

#300767 - 02/28/22 06:33 AM Re: Stealth Equipping Someone's Car? [Re: dougwalkabout]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I went through this with Eldest, who goes to school in a cold and windy clime. In the end Eldest agreed to a small kit kept in the spare tire nook. I am more than half afraid that Eldest won’t remember it in a time of need.

Multitool, medical gear, water and water disinfection, a few meal bars, Heatsheets, Ritter PSP. While Eldest has been trained on these to a degree, the reality is that I’m hopeful Eldest will have someone along who is more resourceful if something does go wrong.

#300768 - 02/28/22 07:50 AM Re: Stealth Equipping Someone's Car? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

My brother didn't even knew if he had spare tire or not. I don't expect much skill or him searching for things in the car.

So i don't expect putting things in his car is any use. I think a lot of people are the same, no technical skills and no desire to learn.

#300769 - 02/28/22 09:58 AM Re: Stealth Equipping Someone's Car? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
That would be the problem! Assuming it was someone that wouldn't mind you sneaking in a stash, they'd be unaware of it and therefore not use it if the need arose. Perhaps a better option would be to prepare a small kit, then have a discussion with the recipient.

I went though this with my brother. He doesn't like clutter and keeps his car immaculate, but that means he has virtually nothing useful if there's a problem. A couple winters ago he came to visit (a very long road trip for him) and arrived in shorts and a T-shirt with no warm clothes or even a blanket in the car! So I gave him a spare Wiggy's 0 degree bag on the condition that he leave it in the trunk, and to his credit he has. So far he hasn't needed it but it could save a life in an emergency.

#300770 - 02/28/22 01:25 PM Re: Stealth Equipping Someone's Car? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
When I had a car, I kept it spotless too. However, I kept a case of bottled water and some car items in the trunk, along with a few tools in the glove box. That was in addition to my EDC bag, a.k.a. my twenty-four-hour urban survival kit.

Jeanette Isabelle

#300771 - 02/28/22 02:55 PM Re: Stealth Equipping Someone's Car? [Re: dougwalkabout]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I don't think doing a 'Stealth' kit would be very helpful as it is often more about know "what" to do than "stuff" to do it with.

However, I would try to package up a small backpack, Tupperware container or something container of gear and simple instructions with it and see if someplace in the car could be used to store the small package. It can be out-of-sight or maybe under the seat.

The next step is to actually get the car owner to understand about the package, how to use it and why that is important and why you and they should care.

#300772 - 02/28/22 03:40 PM Re: Stealth Equipping Someone's Car? [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

You've all defined the problem. I agree. I'm not sure a laminated card in the glove box would be enough ("Reminder: Safety Kit & Clothing with Spare Tire").

Based on actual disasters we've seen, is there a point at which ordinary people start digging around in the corners of their vehicle? Maybe Day 3? Or does it never occur to them at all? Even in an otherwise naked rental car, I would have the tire iron out at least.

#300773 - 02/28/22 04:47 PM Re: Stealth Equipping Someone's Car? [Re: pforeman]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
echoing pforeman's comments, knowledge and experience is far more important during an event than are gadgets. It is best when all are present. There is nothing ore reassuring than the heft of a familiar gadget when things get critical

#300774 - 02/28/22 06:51 PM Re: Stealth Equipping Someone's Car? [Re: dougwalkabout]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

I certainly agree on the skills aspect. That said, it's pretty clear not everyone will have them.

I'm still not inclined to be defeatist. Simple things can make a big difference. For example, fleece blankets are versatile and anyone can use them -- if they have them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 352 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.