Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#300724 - 02/17/22 05:54 PM EMP\Miyake event
Famdoc Offline

Loc: PA
I first heard of Miyake events from the ARRL monthly magazine: QST.
I had never heard of the Miyake events, which makes a repeat of the Carrington Event sound minor.

From Scientific American:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...d-strike-again/

The current shift to heating/cooking/driving with electricity only would only magnify to problems with another Miyake event. Exceptionally low likelihood of such happening, but likely horrendous outcomes should it happen.

Thoughts?

#300725 - 02/17/22 07:52 PM Re: EMP\Miyake event [Re: Famdoc]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Long transmission lines are highly susceptible to Carrington Events and similar (the article is behind a paywall and I won't pretend to have heard of a Miyake event before). This is a big deal.

Electrical grids tend to use very high voltage lines for longer distances in order to reduce transmission losses. To make this electricity useable in homes, transformers convert the high voltage to lower voltage. These transformers are essential for electrical grids to work, and when connected to long transmission lines they're likely to be damaged or destroyed by these sort of events. They're expensive, there aren't a lot of spares stored, and it takes time and effort to get them back up.

There are also concerns that a "black start" would be very problematic, as most power generation facilities need grid power in order to start themselves up.

In the USA, NERC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Electric_Reliability_Corporation) uses their Critical Infrastructure Protection standards (commonly known as "NERC CIP" and pronounced "nerk sip") to improve bulk power generation and distribution reliability. I'm told that progress has been made on improving resiliency of the various power grids and in getting generation facilities ready for a "black start."

I'm ready at home for at least a week without electricity depending on the weather, potentially much longer with cooperative weather and gasoline being available. I'd love to have more capability there in my next home; perhaps with solar, small scale hydro, or some combination. But I'm a couple years away from being able to move.

#300726 - 02/18/22 12:24 AM Re: EMP\Miyake event [Re: Famdoc]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Wiki has an article on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/774%E2%80%93775_carbon-14_spike

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.