Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#300678 - 02/09/22 09:11 PM Re: We're Moving Back to Texas [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Mom's bottom line was $294,900, listed the house for $299,000, and received an offer of $310,000. After being on the market for less than a week, the house closed today.

Jeanette Isabelle

#300683 - 02/10/22 11:49 AM Re: We're Moving Back to Texas [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Nice! It's a seller's market for sure right now. I've never been to Texas and have no idea what the market is like there. In my home town of Sioux Falls, SD $300k would buy a pretty darned nice house. But here in Bozeman, MT a dog house costs $300k! shocked

#300703 - 02/13/22 07:58 PM Re: We're Moving Back to Texas [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Nothing is decided yet, but there's a new housing development in Navasota, Tx. We like the neighborhood, and the real estate development company has a floor plan that fits our needs for $250,000, give or take a few hundred dollars.

The following will give you an idea of what we may get, even though we may not get this specific unit.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhom...8_P417000634363

Jeanette Isabelle

#300704 - 02/13/22 08:50 PM Re: We're Moving Back to Texas [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Its crazy around here too. We moved in 2007 and got into a "starter" house at 169k. Was a big jump from our 60k house in 1995

#300706 - 02/14/22 01:32 AM Re: We're Moving Back to Texas [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sounds good! I'm kind of addicted to living in the West but if the soaring COL and housing prices force me out eventually I will probably move back to Minnesota.

#300708 - 02/14/22 04:34 AM Re: We're Moving Back to Texas [Re: Phaedrus]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
....I will probably move back to Minnesota.

Must be something good in Minnesota. A lot of immigrants from Finland ended up in Minnesota.

#300709 - 02/14/22 05:00 AM Re: We're Moving Back to Texas [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Minnesota is actually pretty great. I wanted to be up in the mountains but to be honest, in a way they kind of suck. Great for four or five months but inaccessible the rest of the year. It's hard to beat northern Minnesota. Montana is great but MN is a lot cheaper!

#300710 - 02/14/22 06:04 AM Re: We're Moving Back to Texas [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Just curious

It is understandable to investigate cost of living and job markets when you choose an area to move to, but haven't seen anyone thinking of disasters. Isn't it a factor? If I was choosing a place to live in the U.S. I'll look at a map of natural disasters first. Harsh weather is a close second.

#300712 - 02/14/22 06:38 AM Re: We're Moving Back to Texas [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Are you talking about Texas or Minnesota? Every place has upsides and downsides. Both can get storms; in MN it's generally blizzards while TX can get tornadoes and depending on the which part of the state, hurricanes. I guess TX has had a few blizzards the last 20 years and they're utterly unprepared when it does happen. On a personal level though a person could make sure they prepare their own household.

In Montana or Minnesota, as climate change progresses wildfire is a bigger and bigger problem. Not all of MN or MT is forested but you have to have a plan if you do live in an area in or bordering on a forest. The last fire season was brutal (to be fair, there kind of isn't even a season for fire any more- it's a year round problem). Luckily Bozeman, while surrounded by forests, is in a kind of large circular clearing where there's no real danger of wild fire. But when I lived in Idaho I could walk out of my yard and right into the woods!

#300713 - 02/14/22 01:27 PM Re: We're Moving Back to Texas [Re: Chisel]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Chisel
It is understandable to investigate cost of living and job markets when you choose an area to move to, but haven't seen anyone thinking of disasters. Isn't it a factor?

Most of what we get in Texas are tornadoes and hail.

In 2010, when we were still in Texas, I experienced my first blizzard. In the nearly eight years Mom and I have lived in Florida, I hear that Texas has experienced more of them.

As for hurricanes, Navasota is far enough from the coast that all we will get is wind.

If Huston (the nearest major city) gets hit by a nuke, we'll be far enough away where we'll be safe.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.