Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#300707 - 02/14/22 03:24 AM How to get started?
Bingley Offline
Veteran

A friend of mine is getting into emergency preparation. I'm sending her to read Doug's write up on ETS. I'll also tell her about an equipment review site called the prepared.com. What other sources do you recommend?

It seems that she could use some guidance in determining what scenarios she needs to prepare for. That will determine what sort of equipment and training she needs to get. Is there a good source for this?

I remember ages ago somebody (Nightwalker? Nighthiker? The Navy SEAL guy who went into consulting about school shootings) posted a useful link about how to assess risks. (Stuff like effect vs. likelihood; e.g., blackouts pretty common, and causes some inconvenience, war very unlikely, but will turn your world upside down.) The search function doesn't seem to go back that far. Cany anyone locate this post? Chaos?

#300714 - 02/14/22 02:00 PM Re: How to get started? [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I poked around and didn’t find it immediately. Will try some more later today.

#300717 - 02/14/22 11:48 PM Re: How to get started? [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Yur friend should take a gander at local history for hazard history. hurricanes and tornadoes for the Midwest and south, along with floods. The west coast is known for earthquakes, but there is a zone in the Midwest that haa also experienced shakers (New Madrid). The USGS - https://www.usgs.gov/programs/earthquake-hazards is a great resource.

I think that anyone serious about prepping should acquire first aid training - the more the better. It comes in handy in normal life, as well.

If you have outdoor interests - hiking, camping, or similar the gear that you acquire will often be of use in tight situations - experience speaking.

The Prepared is a decent site, but not quite up to ETS. Way too many survivalist sites are rather political and pay way too much emphasis to potential civil strife and firearms.

Wildfire and domestic conflagrations are a potential nearly everywhere, much more a likely problem than looting mobs

Edited by hikermor (02/16/22 01:26 PM)

#300722 - 02/16/22 12:48 PM Re: How to get started? [Re: Bingley]
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Sorry Bingley, I struck out.

#300723 - 02/17/22 04:31 AM Re: How to get started? [Re: Bingley]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

#300727 - 02/18/22 02:47 AM Re: How to get started? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Thank you, Chaos, for your effort. I couldn't find it myself either. I've shared all the keywords I recall, EMP.

NightHiker contributed some good stuff to this forum. Too bad he's not here anymore. I seem to recall that the post I'm talking about links to an external webpage on risk assessment. I'll keep looking.

Hikermor -- yes, I'm steering my friend away from the sensational stuff and toward more likely scenarios. I also urged her to take the Red Cross courses on first aid and CPR.

I got some SAR & medical training because for a while in my life I lived near a university with a pretty happening outdoors program. So I was lucky. But many people don't have that option. It seems to me that such courses should be widely available for the good of the public.

#300728 - 02/18/22 01:57 PM Re: How to get started? [Re: Bingley]
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

You’re welcome, Bingley.

Another potential resource for your friend might be a local Community Emergency Response Team. CERT training is free and there’s no obligation to join the team. While it’s been a while for me and I don’t know how the curriculum has changed, we learned light search and rescue, light fire suppression, shutting off utilities, scene safety, first aid, how to handle mass casualty events, basics of the Incident Command System, and more.

If your friend is interested in emergency communications, the ham radio community does a very nice job of teaching this. The Technician license requires passing a straightforward multiple choice test; there is no longer a Morse code requirement to get licensed in the USA. I’m happy to share resources for anyone who’s interested.

CPR and Stop The Bleed training are easy and inexpensive to get. A more thorough grounding in treating traumatic injuries can be found by looking for medical courses aimed at firearms instructors.

I’m not sure what else to suggest — I wouldn’t be surprised at all to learn you suggested all of these.

#300731 - 02/18/22 10:43 PM Re: How to get started? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Ah, one thing I forgot to mention -- are there resources for emergency prep for pets? Are there pet first aid classes and such?

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Doug_Ritter), 369 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.