The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#299537 - 07/29/21 10:18 PM Re: I'm surprised how few people... [Re: teacher]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
A very good point. I have not been increasing my preps but I am keeping my preps up-to-date. Tomorrow I will order 5 new tires (81mph) for our camper. The current tires have less than 2 years old but are starting to dry rot after being 6 years old. If bugging out from a hurricane, I need reliability!

#300296 - 11/01/21 12:00 AM Re: I'm surprised how few people... [Re: teacher]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

...live in Seattle and don't own a raincoat

#300670 - 02/05/22 07:49 AM Re: I'm surprised how few people... [Re: teacher]
Acropolis50 Offline
Journeyman

I cannot get the Urban Preparedness forum to open. It comes up with Chaosmagnets posts about what notto discuss. Am I alone in this problem? Any solutions to suggest?

#300671 - 02/05/22 12:30 PM Re: I'm surprised how few people... [Re: Acropolis50]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Acropolis50
I cannot get the Urban Preparedness forum to open. It comes up with Chaosmagnets posts about what notto discuss. Am I alone in this problem? Any solutions to suggest?

Look down to show topics. You should see "active in the last 3 months." Click the arrow pointing down. You will see multiple options. Select "from all dates" and click the icon "Change."

Jeanette Isabelle

#300672 - 02/05/22 02:28 PM Re: I'm surprised how few people... [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Look down to show topics. You should see"active in the last 3 months." Click the arrow pointing down. You will see multiple options. Select "from all dates" and click the icon "Change."

You taught me something today! Thank you, and well done.

chaosmagnet

#300690 - 02/11/22 08:36 PM Re: I'm surprised how few people... [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Acropolis50 Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

Look down to show topics. You should see "active in the last 3 months." Click the arrow pointing down. You will see multiple options. Select "from all dates" and click the icon "Change."

Jeanette Isabelle

Thanx JI, that worked for me. Good luck with ur impending move.

Not to pry too much into youur private life, but in our family , our eldest daughter suffered an accidental pre-natal head injury which left her with many physical and intellectual deficients. Due to my wife’s therapist intervention ( she was a Special Ed teacher) and lots of outside therapy, Rachel lives a happy life as a upbeat 35 year old, with a functional ability of a 3-4 year old. But, she does not view herself as “ different”. A small person( 4’6”, 70lb.s, svelte ,perfectly proportioned and a natural beauty ), she now lives in a Group Home we helped to found.

It was a labor of love, which took every bit of legal skill, search for program, , intervention and help from friends and caring government and charitable officials, “ rattling “ government agency and private charity doors etc., that I/ we , could muster.. It is/ was finally supported by State, Federal and private monies & programs. It is situated very near our home. An award winning facility, perfectly integrated into the surrounding , middle class, residential community. The whole process, from idea to a functioning Group Home, took seven years.

She lives at her new “ home” as she calls it, with her new “ family”. ( 3 other similar adults) , 5 - 6 days a week and attends a work program at the local JCC, 5 days a week. The other 1 1/2, she comes home with us to stay overnight. On our death. ( tho healthy, we are both well past Seventy) , her very supportive , 2 year younger, brother , will become her guardian and her life should continue on the same plane.

We did this so as to transition Rachel to a new home life while my wife and I were young and healthy enough to support a phased transition. As I said, The whole process, begining to end, took seven years. My son , also an attorney like me, has his own family , but can be , long term, loving and supportive and still not responsible for her everyday care.

The reason for this long personal exposition is that you have been ( rightfully and admirably) very open as to your challenges and needing a supportive environment, but functioning well within that environment. I believe you are also in ur thirties and your supportive adult is your mother, who must be at least 60+. You say this move is to get closer to family/ friends. My exposition and advice to you is to use this move as a kick-off point , for the rest of your life and to plan an environment for your self , that will be supportive but not suffocating , as your functionality is obviously very high.

Unfortunately, anti- tax, anti- “ welfare “ , anti -big government forces in Texas give that state a less than stellar reputation in supporting its citizens with physical and mental challenges ,in the best, least restrictive environment. ( NB to all u fiscal conservatives. My version of supporting programs, has proved to be , long term , most cost efficient and least overall tax drain, than ad-hoc emergency intervention and big institutional care. Not to mention much more humane.. reread the Sermon on the Mount for all you Christian ( economic) conservatives out there.). Nevertheless, if you are near a city with a big university and /or medical teaching facility, you vastly improve you chances of finding supportive programs. Best of Luck and feel free to PM my wife and me.

#300692 - 02/11/22 11:57 PM Re: I'm surprised how few people... [Re: Acropolis50]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I believe you are also in ur thirties. . . .

I recently turned thirty-six.

You say this move is to get closer to family/ friends.

My sister and brother-in-law recently bought a house in Bryan; otherwise, I don't know anyone in that corner of Texas. Mom is looking for a place in or near the Bryan-College Station Metropolitan Area.

Unfortunately, anti- tax, anti- “ welfare “ , anti -big government forces in Texas give that state a less than stellar reputation in supporting its citizens with physical and mental challenges ,in the best, least restrictive environment.

I receive Social Security Disability.

Jeanette Isabelle

#300702 - 02/13/22 01:23 PM Re: I'm surprised how few people... [Re: Acropolis50]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Very well said Acropolis

Not to derail the thread, I just want to add a small note.

Linking with support groups is very helpful.
We all need support one way or another. I, for one, have always been feeling so alone in thinking about preparedness in the middle of a community so consumed in consumerism. So, I started touring the net and found a few webpages and Youtube channels that contain much of what I am looking for like prepping, homesteading , gardening and the like. Now, whenever I feel drained, I just wear my headphone set and search for my favorite websites or Youtube "buddies". LOL.

It works

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.