Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#300885 - 03/30/22 12:36 PM Re: Doug Ritter RSK MK3 Fixed Blade Knife [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
AKSAR, you are entirely too rational!!

I am also a Mora fan, having about four in my stash. one of the most useful is a variant which has a fire steel stored in the handle. It makes a very good stove lighter. For years I carried a SAK (non folding blade) which served quite well'

Years ago, I did inflict a bad cut on my hand with a folding blade, so it can happen. no incidents in the following 60 years.

Knives are useful, but they are often exaggerated. I have found it useful to carry a small prybar in my kit, available in all sorts of sizes, in order to reduce abuse of my blades.

My most used knife is a SAK Classic, mostly for the toothpick...

#300886 - 03/30/22 08:23 PM Re: Doug Ritter RSK MK3 Fixed Blade Knife [Re: KenK]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I've broken tips off a couple of times. Once was a very nice gyuto (a Japanese chef's knife). I got this Moritaka in Ao-Ko for the super skinny, delicate tip...left it on the cutting board at work and a coworker knocked if on the floor. shocked Took 1/3" off that super delicate tip I wanted. The other was a Spyderco Dyad (iirc the name properly). It has a serrated blade and a slendy flat grind blade. This time I'm the one that dropped it, neatly snapped the tip off.

Both knives are still usable. I've seen guys mess up knives a lot worse but I can't recall ever snapping one in half. I try to use knives for knife stuff and saws for saw stuff, etc. But I expect in a tough spot I'd use any tool I had for any task that simply had to be done.

#300887 - 03/31/22 01:34 PM Re: Doug Ritter RSK MK3 Fixed Blade Knife [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal

Talking about EDC knives, you really have to consider plier-based multitools, a huge innovation. I carried the original Leatherman for many years, but I now sport a Skeletool CX - pliers, four screwdrivers, and a blade, very lowkey. With a SAK Classic and a small prybar, you are ready for lots of situations.

#300895 - 03/31/22 10:52 PM Re: Doug Ritter RSK MK3 Fixed Blade Knife [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: hikermor

Talking about EDC knives, you really have to consider plier-based multitools, a huge innovation. I carried the original Leatherman for many years, but I now sport a Skeletool CX - pliers, four screwdrivers, and a blade, very lowkey. With a SAK Classic and a small prybar, you are ready for lots of situations.

I love my Skeletool CX and have considered using it to replace my EDC knife. Still, my Spyderco with it's nylon/FRX scales is soooo light! The CX is fairly svelt for what it is but still a bit clunky compared to a very light folder.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 166 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.