Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#300797 - 03/08/22 09:28 PM Re: We're Moving Back to Texas [Re: Blast]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Blast
I'm just a few minutes down I-45 from you, in Spring, TX.

From what I read, the Texas DOT should complete the project merging State Highway 249 with State Highway 105 this year, making a more direct connection.

https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/bryan/sh249.html

Jeanette Isabelle

#300805 - 03/10/22 10:21 PM Re: We're Moving Back to Texas [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

One downside about moving now is I started seeing a good therapist a few months ago regarding feeling claustrophobic in a car. Ginger, that's her nickname, told me my anxiety is a symptom of a problem and not the problem itself and that my anxiety, dissociation, and dysmorphia are all related.

Now I have to leave a good therapist, but I know what to look for in a therapist, and Ginger has already diagnosed the problem.

Jeanette Isabelle

#300806 - 03/11/22 12:27 AM Re: We're Moving Back to Texas [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I hope the trip doesn't stress you out too much, Jeanette_Isabelle.

#300807 - 03/11/22 01:33 AM Re: We're Moving Back to Texas [Re: Phaedrus]
Carpal Tunnel

To be on the highway, I have to take 1 MG of Lorazepam, sometimes two if there are many splits and mergers.

Jeanette Isabelle

#300810 - 03/11/22 08:49 PM Re: We're Moving Back to Texas [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

To let you know, I'm on a well-deserved break as I write this. Murphy's law states: "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." Today the movers are back to fill the final POD. Everything was fine until I noticed a several-inch deep scratch on my arm. I don't know how it got there, and I did not even see it until I washed my hands in the bathroom. I grabbed my EDC FAK and operated on myself but needed help from Mom for the final part since I couldn't tape myself with one hand. Given everything else that has happened so far, that was insignificant.

Earlier, Mom asked my neighbor if she could park the SUV in their driveway. That's fine. However, the neighbor's wife backs up their car into our SUV. The damage to the SUV is cosmetic, but this is the worst possible time to deal with insurance. We'll be driving to Texas in a dented SUV and find a body shop later.

As the movers filled the last POD, it all appeared to be going as planned. However, it eventually became apparent that not everything we wanted in the final POD would fit into the last POD. By this time, lower priority items, such as my eight-year-old mattress and box spring, were already strapped in the POD somewhere.

Mom is signing the papers Monday morning and today is Friday. We don't have time to get a third POD. We have to conduct triage. I do a first round of scaling back. Still too much. I have a short word with Mom on why I'm packing what I'm packing. Not including what we will take in the SUV, I get it down to my collapsable cart, a small box, and my American Doll, Samantha.

Mom and I argued over the collapsable cart. I was not going to budge over this one. I'm already reducing my footwear down to four pairs, my six MAG-LITEs down to three, my hand tools down to five, and I'm keeping my folding box cutter which takes up no space anyhow.

I'm glad my blender was already in the first POD. Arguing to keep a blender I don't use anymore would have been a tough battle. I bought a brand new blender (with my own money) and used it a lot when I was still a child.

I'm hoping a couple of first aid items will fit in my suitcase or a bag. If not, I'll see if removing some intimate apparel would make a difference. Even in our current climate, I can still buy more when we get to Texas.

What's amazing about this trying day is that I didn't need my anxiety medication yet.

Jeanette Isabelle

#300811 - 03/11/22 10:48 PM Re: We're Moving Back to Texas [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I truly hate moving! I hope the rest of the process goes well for you.

#300818 - 03/16/22 04:59 PM Re: We're Moving Back to Texas [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I mentioned Friday we had to do triage because not everything we want will fit in the final POD. Before I get to that, let me back up. As I was packing the dishes, I came across the set of china Mom and Dad got before I was born. Mom said to donate them since we never use them. That was before we knew we would be short on space. I told her we could use them on special occasions. Mom presents her counter suggestion. Why not use them every day in our new home? The more they are used, the more likely they will break, but at least Mom agreed to keep her and Dad's china.

On the day we finished packing the POD (and deciding what goes and what gets left behind), Mom wanted to leave out a painting of herself a friend of hers did when she was in her twenties. I had to talk Mom into keeping it. Then we come across her mom's dishes. Mom wanted to throw them away. I couldn't make a justifiable case to keep them. Donate the dishes instead of trashing them. Someone would like antique tableware.

By the time the final POD was full, Mom did not have any space for three of her Thomas Kinkade paintings. Instead of donating them to charity, she gave all three of them to our neighbor.

When I thought the worst was over, we now have a bigger problem. The buyer was supposed to sign today. However, Mom got a phone call yesterday informing her that the buyer's bank account was hacked. His $79,000 deposit is gone. The bank caught it early but did they catch it in time? As of the time I write this, we don't know.

Jeanette Isabelle

#300819 - 03/16/22 05:01 PM Re: We're Moving Back to Texas [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I'm changing my location to our temporary location, Holly Lake Ranch.

Jeanette Isabelle

#300820 - 03/16/22 06:00 PM Re: We're Moving Back to Texas [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Wow, what an ordeal! Hopefully it smooths out soon.

#300821 - 03/16/22 07:01 PM Re: We're Moving Back to Texas [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Wow...this is a hell of a challenging move. frown
The Conroe area is pretty awesome, so hopefully once you get here all these problems will fade.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.