The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#300634 - 01/26/22 02:14 PM Newport to Bermuda Race
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Hi All,

If all goes according to plan I'll crew on a sailboat racing from Newport Rhode Island to Bermuda in June. While I'll have input on the abandon ship bags and we already have life rafts, I write today for your input on my "always on me" kit.

Here's my plan, I look forward to input. [I used DR's list as a starting point, available here: http://equipped.org/survlkit.htm#OVERWATEREQUIP]

Thigh Pocket:
Ocean Signal PLB1
Signal Mirror
Rescue Streamer

Left Pocket:
Nitecore M12 (attached with lanyard)

Right Pocket:
Spyderco Atlantic Salt

In/on Spinlock Deckvest:
ACR AISLink
Auto On Strobe
Safety Knife (to cut from form jack lines if needed)
Small bottle of water (I always carry this when racing, not an addition for survival purposes)
Whistle
Small bottle of sunscreen
(I have more room here, need to decide what to add, if anything)

On me:
Sun Hoodie
long pants
shoes
cellular apple watch, cellular feature should be useless once away from Newport
[Could add leatherman to belt]

Things to consider: I will only be sailing to Bermuda, not the return trip. We will be racing with more than 100 other boats. We'll often be within line of site with other boats and almost always be within VHF range of other boats. If something goes wrong, I anticipate fairly rapid rescue by another sailboat unless we're in a storm that makes it too difficult for another boat to reach us safely. Odds are that if weather like that is forecast the race will be cancelled.

Things I'm considering adding to my life jacket: Rescue Laser, Waterproof VHF radio.

Realistically my life jacket will only be worn at night (always) and during high winds. Not 24/7. Thus it is preferred to keep some basics on my person 24/7 (as in, I plan to sleep with my PLB in my pocket).

Weight and bulk are both important as I need to be able to move around the boat quickly and easily, potentially in bad weather.

So what am I missing? What should I not bother with?

I appreciate and look forward to your thoughts.

-R

#300636 - 01/26/22 04:57 PM Re: Newport to Bermuda Race [Re: roberttheiii]
Ren Online   content
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Know nothing about sailing, but hands free light aka headlamp seems would be more useful than a flashlight.

#300638 - 01/26/22 05:27 PM Re: Newport to Bermuda Race [Re: Ren]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Ah, yes. I will almost certainly have my headlamp around my neck during the day and on my head at night. Good point.

#300641 - 01/26/22 06:35 PM Re: Newport to Bermuda Race [Re: roberttheiii]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Matches? grin

Do you foresee being in water without the life raft?

Could there be utility in having some kind of cordage & fasteners to help keep people floating together?

#300643 - 01/26/22 08:44 PM Re: Newport to Bermuda Race [Re: roberttheiii]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Make sure your headlamp is rated for wet conditions....

What about a smoke flare? (small size!!)

#300645 - 01/26/22 10:30 PM Re: Newport to Bermuda Race [Re: roberttheiii]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Good list. I would prioritize a waterproof Marine VHF radio over a rescue laser. But with both the AISLink and the PLB, it may make sense to save the weight and bulk and not bring either.

Can you reasonably dummy-cord either knife?

#300651 - 01/27/22 04:26 PM Re: Newport to Bermuda Race [Re: roberttheiii]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Addressing each comment in order. I appreciate the input!

Regarding matches, I'll probably have a mini bic with me. It'll be screwed up by saltwater quickly. I don't prioritize fire starting because there just isn't much land (like, none) from RI to Bermuda. Fire starting would only be needed if we ended up on some desolate area of the easter seaboard, but that seems quite unlikely. I could be convinced otherwise.

I don't foresee being in the water without a life raft, but one so often hears about "X" happening and ending with only what's on your person. IF I end up in the water with my lifejacket and another person I'd have enough stuff to tie us together (safety lanyard/lifting strap).

Headlamp will be waterproof. Probably a Black Diamond Storm, though I'd love something that's waterproof, USB rechargeable, and has an adjustable red light (I can get the first two options but I have to go BD Storm if I want adjustable red light based on what I've seen).

I own a "pocket" flare launcher but I just don't see myself deploying it well/safely from in the water and if I'm in a liferaft, I'll have flares. If I could find a tiny smoke flare I'd consider it.

I think swapping the laser for a waterproof VHF is probably a good and reasonable call.

I will dummy-cord a knife. Probably the leatherman back to its sheeth. Good idea as well.

Thanks again!

#300652 - 01/27/22 06:09 PM Re: Newport to Bermuda Race [Re: roberttheiii]
Ren Online   content
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK

#300653 - 01/28/22 01:54 AM Re: Newport to Bermuda Race [Re: Ren]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

I like that! Thanks!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.