Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#300547 - 12/20/21 01:08 AM Do you cringe when a knife is "abused"?
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
The other day we had hay delivered in a dump trailer. As he was closing the trailer gates the hay guy pulls out his locking folder (I didn't catch the model) and uses it to chip accumulated ice out of the latch mechanism.

When my wife and I finished putting the hay away and were back in the house, my wife turned to me with a smile and said "You were cringing when he used the knife to clear the ice, weren't you?"

YES I WAS!!! I was dying!

Does anyone else do that?

I think if I carried two knives - one for "abuse" and another for "non-abuse", I could live with it.

I once bought a dirt cheap fixed blade knife to dig plants out out of the rocky ground during a college botany class. I beat the crap out of that knife and was amazed how well it tolerated the abuse and stayed sharp. Ten years later I realized that was a stainless steel Mora knife.

#300548 - 12/20/21 01:47 AM Re: Do you cringe when a knife is "abused"? [Re: KenK]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
There are people that manage to snap the tip off a swiss army knife blade.

It's like the whole point of having a SAK is it has a flat screwdriver/bottle opener for the prying tasks exactly to protect against knife abuse.

#300549 - 12/20/21 02:36 AM Re: Do you cringe when a knife is "abused"? [Re: KenK]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I just stumbled across this Horace Kephart quote:

"Knicks and dull edges are abominations, so use knives and hatchets for nothing but what they were made for."

That makes me feel better.

P.S. I asked Santa for the Becker Knife & Tool BK62 Kephart knife and Kephart's Camping & Woodcraft book. The older I get the more interested I become in learning about ye olde ways.

#300550 - 12/20/21 03:23 AM Re: Do you cringe when a knife is "abused"? [Re: KenK]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
On the one hand it does make me wince but I also accept that it's not my knife. If someone borrows my knife and does that they're likely to get backhanded! mad grin But if they want to trash their own stuff that's their business.

#300551 - 12/20/21 03:35 AM Re: Do you cringe when a knife is "abused"? [Re: KenK]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I remember once when I was standing next to someone who was trying to get a screw in a light switch cover plate out with his knife. He looked at me and asked if I had a knife with a smaller blade. My answer was a resounding "No!" ... even though I had at least two in my pockets at the time.

And a few months ago my sister was visiting, and one of her friends joined us for a day out. Starting our hike in a local park, that friend noticed a tree where a bunch of idiots had carved their initials into the bark. She asked if I had a knife that she could use. My answer was "no". She thought that meant I didn't have a knife. It actually meant she couldn't use it.

#300552 - 12/20/21 04:39 AM Re: Do you cringe when a knife is "abused"? [Re: KenK]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Yes, I cringe at abuse. But abuse is also field testing, proof that the tool is fit for purpose.

I also cringe at shelf queens that are shiny and scratch-free and untested in the field. They look so pretty. Can they do real work?

I have a bunch of 30 year old blue handled Moras, worn down to 40% of the original blade size, that have endured young nephews and decades of abuse on my acreage and in my gardens.

In a spam-hits-fan situation, what tool would I reach for? The beater Moras or the shelf queens?

#300554 - 12/20/21 07:39 AM Re: Do you cringe when a knife is "abused"? [Re: KenK]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I don't really care how people use their tools. As long as it's not a safety issue, as I don't spending much time patching people up.

Before i borrow things to other, i'll ask their intend. Depending on the answer, they will get the correct tool for the job or a no. Or in some cases i fix it for them.

#300556 - 12/21/21 02:17 PM Re: Do you cringe when a knife is "abused"? [Re: KenK]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

It annoys me more when the knife doesn't stand up to the abuse, particularly if it was an expensive one.

#300587 - 01/05/22 01:53 PM Re: Do you cringe when a knife is "abused"? [Re: Burncycle]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Burncycle
It annoys me more when the knife doesn't stand up to the abuse, particularly if it was an expensive one.

This.

It's a tool. Use it.

I pull things with my truck (it's not a tractor), I check reflexes with my stethoscope (not a reflex hammer), I've hammered with pliers.

It's a tool.

#300597 - 01/08/22 06:33 PM Re: Do you cringe when a knife is "abused"? [Re: MDinana]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Originally Posted By: Burncycle

This.

It's a tool. Use it.

I would say the caveat should be, "Use it" ... "for its intended use". I can't blame a knife, even an expensive one, for breaking if someone is trying to use it as a prybar or a screwdriver. I can't blame a pair of pliers for breaking when someone is using them for a hammer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.