Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#300591 - 01/06/22 05:44 PM DR Ultimate Aviator Survival Pak AVAILABILITY
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

I am absolutely thrilled to announce that, assuming I am able to get the 6 orders needed to start production again, I have 2 in hand, will be able to offer my Doug Ritter Ultimate Aviator Survival Pak again at the same price as back in 2019 when I ran out of the custom pack, just $2,918! NO PRICE INCREASE!

If you know anyone who might be interested, please pass this along.

Full details at http://www.dougritter.com/DR-aviator_survival_pak_index.htm and below

While some components have gone up in price, some significantly, a few have actually come down and buying 6 kits worth at a time ends up saving significantly as well. Shipping ate into those savings, but works out in the end.

Option: The .5 Module that adds Personal Protection gear for 1 additional person (3 total, packed in UASP) will add $285.

Option: The +2 Add-on Module, which is packed separately in a smaller pack and also includes food and water for an additional 2 people will be $800. The Plus 2 Add-on Module is designed to be used only in combination with the UASP and is not a stand-alone survival kit.

Option: Green Rescue Laser Flare replacing Red Rescue Laser: $130 ($30 reduction in price)

I have had to change some items out, some from a different manufacturer or newer model, but with a few exceptions, it doesn’t change the weight or functionality. The few notable exceptions from the original at: http://www.dougritter.com/DR-aviator_survival_pak_contents.htm

As there is no longer available any quality polycarbonate 3" x 5" signal mirrors, I am moving to a mil-spec glass signal mirror. It will add 4.5 ounces with packing and is obviously more fragile (though not quite as fragile as you might think). It comes in a protective pouch and will be packed to ensure that if the kit survives, it will also. On the positive side, glass is about 20% to 30% more reflective than the previous signal mirror I was using.

The original Snow Claw I have used for years has been superseded by a next generation version that’s 1.3 ounces heavier.

At this time the 2 liter Platypus Water Tanks x 2 I have used are not available and I will be using either a single 4 liter or 6 liter, depending on availability.

Color of the sil-nylon shelter will vary depending on material availability.

QuikClot Advanced Clotting Gauze 3"x24" replaces the Celox

The really nice roll-up sunglasses I used to use, that were comfortable to wear and could also be used over regular glasses, are no longer available and the alternatives in that space suck. As such, I am not planning on including sunglasses unless I get a lot of pushback and then I’ll find something that will work, but it will add to the cost, bulk and a few additional ounces.

Right now I only have 2 confirmed purchasers, based on the original estimated price. I need at least 4 more to make this work.

Assuming I get my 6 orders, I will require a deposit of $2,500 with the balance due upon receipt of the packs, likely in March time-frame (always subject to COVID related delays). Shipment of the initial batch of kits will occur approximately 2-3 weeks later unless there’s a hiccup in delivery of life-limited components (rations, etc). These packs only ship via UPS Ground, insured, signature required, to the continental U.S. (local delivery in the Phoenix area a free option). S&H estimate is approximately $100.

Any questions, feel free to post here or email me. I will make a decision on moving forward or not by the end of January, latest. So, if you are interested in one of my Ultimate Aviator Survival Paks, please email me ASAP at: Doug@DougRitter.com
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#300592 - 01/07/22 01:06 PM Re: DR Ultimate Aviator Survival Pak AVAILABILITY [Re: Doug_Ritter]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
That's too rich for my needs, but if your Personal Suvival Pak (and/or PSP+) came back I'd be very happy. I still haven't found a comparable kit out there.

I have at least two PSP's myself, but they make GREAT gifts for family and friends who spend time outdoors ... and think that their smartphone is the #1 essential safety item.

#300593 - 01/07/22 01:13 PM Re: DR Ultimate Aviator Survival Pak AVAILABILITY [Re: Doug_Ritter]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
+1 me too!!

#300861 - 03/28/22 05:15 AM Re: DR Ultimate Aviator Survival Pak AVAILABILITY [Re: Doug_Ritter]
paulr Offline
Addict

Doug, you might put a few N95 masks into that kit, given current events. I'm glad you have the Ziploc bags in there (hopefully not the slider kind). They are reasonably practical for carrying water, to supplement the Platypus. A single big Platypus would make me nervous since it might spring a leak. I was going to suggest adding some Ziplocs but then saw you already have them.

I hope the spare 2016/2032 batteries are name brand (Energizer etc). The cheap ones have reasonable capacity when new but I have found (from a bunch of "Fauxton" Photon clone lights that I bought around 10 years ago) that their shelf life is finite.

After seeing some of your stories about SAR seeing very dim light sources at great distances at night, do you think some GITD markers are worth having? Like in the recent post about that guy's white van getting lost in the boonies, maybe he could have been helped by some GITD tape on the roof. He was lost for months so any battery powered signal lights would have been long depleted. That seems like another possible addition.

You have 3 light sources in the pack (rescue laser, Black Diamond Flare headlamp, Photon Freedom) that require 3 types of batteries. That might be something to think about in a future iteration. The Greenland laser looks really cool (I hadn't heard of it before) and it would be great if they did a 1AA version. It would have the same approx size/weight/battery life of the CR123A version.

How do you like the Flare? As you might have noticed I got very obsessed with the thread about it for a while.

Did you find hard candy that doesn't melt? I was going to suggest cough drops but they do melt. Maybe Altoids? They do help with scratchy throat, and of course the tin has many uses.

I'm very fond of nylon double ended sporks and they don't weigh much. I've found the single ended type a lot harder to use. I see there are some bamboo ones available too. I might get a few sometime.

I hope the kit is not too jam packed, so people can make their own small additions.

There is some very nice stuff in there!

Edited by paulr (03/28/22 06:18 AM)

#300869 - 03/28/22 05:06 PM Re: DR Ultimate Aviator Survival Pak AVAILABILITY [Re: paulr]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: paulr
Doug, you might put a few N95 masks into that kit, given current events. I'm glad you have the Ziploc bags in there (hopefully not the slider kind). They are reasonably practical for carrying water, to supplement the Platypus. single big Platypus would make me nervous since it might spring a leak. I was going to suggest adding some Ziplocs but then saw you already have them.

Also include 6 repair Platy patches

I hope the spare 2016/2032 batteries are name brand (Energizer etc). The cheap ones have reasonable capacity when new but I have found (from a bunch of "Fauxton" Photon clone lights that I bought around 10 years ago) that their shelf life is finite.

Only use name brand. Lights come with batteries that I toss, as well.

After seeing some of your stories about SAR seeing very dim light sources at great distances at night, do you think some GITD markers are worth having? Like in the recent post about that guy's white van getting lost in the boonies, maybe he could have been helped by some GITD tape on the roof. He was lost for months so any battery powered signal lights would have been long depleted. That seems like another possible addition.

Nope. Glow in the dark tape requires it being charged, so pretty useless unless you have daylight to charge, which may not be the case. More importantly, testing has shown that relatively small tapes and such are not visible at any distance. It take a large area to be visible. The only exception is retro-reflective materials which can be very effective when lit up, even small bits.

You have 3 light sources in the pack (rescue laser, Black Diamond Flare headlamp, Photon Freedom) that require 3 types of batteries. That might be something to think about in a future iteration. The Greenland laser looks really cool (I hadn't heard of it before) and it would be great if they did a 1AA version. It would have the same approx size/weight/battery life of the CR123A version.

I select equipment based on performance and weight. Weight is a critical factor for pilots. This is for a very short term stay in the wilderness, so those concerns are of little impact.

How do you like the Flare? As you might have noticed I got very obsessed with the thread about it for a while.

It works well for what it is and is small and lightweight. It wouldn't be my choice for regular use, but is fine for this purpose

Did you find hard candy that doesn't melt? I was going to suggest cough drops but they do melt. Maybe Altoids? They do help with scratchy throat, and of course the tin has many uses.

I have used Jolly Rancher for years. The military used Charms for decades.

I'm very fond of nylon double ended sporks and they don't weigh much. I've found the single ended type a lot harder to use. I see there are some bamboo ones available too. I might get a few sometime.

I include spoons as there's really nothing in the kit to use a fork for. Sporks are lousy forks and even lousier spoons. Given the minimal weight if you need both, carry one of each.

I hope the kit is not too jam packed, so people can make their own small additions.

There is room to add some small items and such, but generally my customers never open the pack until it needs replenishment. In general, they are buying a kit that is pretty damn complete because they don't have any interest in the subject other than having the gear available in case they need it and are willing to spend enough to ensure it is quality gear, well packed and set up for them, turnkey.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.