Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#300534 - 12/16/21 09:30 PM Re: A Cautionary Tale [Re: Doug_Ritter]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
If you see a “Item Detected Near You” alert on your Apple device while driving, it may be an AirTag attached to your car. Park someplace safe (a police station is ideal, a hospital is another good option), and if there’s an AirTag attached to your car, get rid of it.

#300536 - 12/17/21 08:02 PM Re: A Cautionary Tale [Re: chaosmagnet]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
and if there’s an AirTag attached to your car, get rid of it.

Attach it to the nearest police car smile

That brings up something interesting, I'm going to have to lookup how to detect airtags (for those of us plebs who can't afford a ferrariiphone to see if there are any near me.

#300537 - 12/17/21 11:13 PM Re: A Cautionary Tale [Re: Doug_Ritter]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Two can play that game. Put an AirTag in a secret place in your own car, so police can locate it after it's stolen.

#300538 - 12/17/21 11:35 PM Re: A Cautionary Tale [Re: Eugene]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Originally Posted By: Eugene
and if there’s an AirTag attached to your car, get rid of it.

Attach it to the nearest police car smile

That brings up something interesting, I'm going to have to lookup how to detect airtags (for those of us plebs who can't afford a ferrariiphone to see if there are any near me.

Apple are supposedly making an Android app for detecting them, but still not great, as it's all dependent on Apple figuring out an AirTag and your phone are traveling together and alerting you promptly.

Edited by Ren (12/17/21 11:35 PM)

#300542 - 12/19/21 10:38 AM Re: A Cautionary Tale [Re: Doug_Ritter]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
How to find, block, or disable an unknown AirTag moving with you

https://www.macworld.com/article/345863/how-to-find-block-disable-airtag-moving-with-you.html

#300543 - 12/19/21 05:41 PM Re: A Cautionary Tale [Re: Doug_Ritter]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

With these AirTags, Apple has done a great disservice to people who are being stalked. They have massively put them in harms way. Apparently Apple doesn't care - they had to have thought about the consequences when they were initially designing this device. And they are turning innocent people into unknowing accomplices for stalkers. Criminals - car thieves and such - have got to really love these AirTags too. Sounds like someone needs to design an inexpensive portable long range bluetooth jammer. Of course that would disrupt nearby innocent people who are just listening to music on their bluetooth earbuds, but you can thank Apple for that.

#300544 - 12/19/21 07:19 PM Re: A Cautionary Tale [Re: haertig]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: haertig
Apparently Apple doesn't care - they had to have thought about the consequences when they were initially designing this device.

I've never worked for Apple and I cannot speak for them. But I can definitely tell you they've done massively dumb things in the past. Many organizations, it seems, get dumber as they get bigger.

The largest company I ever worked for did SO MANY dumb things that despite having amazing products and services it no longer exists. A close friend who worked with me there told me once "Leadership is THE difference," and it really stuck with me. Even highly profitable companies like Apple can have this issue.

Quote:
Sounds like someone needs to design an inexpensive portable long range bluetooth jammer.

That is illegal in the US, and the FCC's Enforcement Division eventually catches and imprisons jammer operators, and I understand even sometimes the manufacturers.

#300545 - 12/19/21 08:20 PM Re: A Cautionary Tale [Re: chaosmagnet]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

That is illegal in the US, and the FCC's Enforcement Division eventually catches and imprisons jammer operators, and I understand even sometimes the manufacturers.

Personally, if I were at high risk of being harmed by a stalker, and the threat of an AirTag was real for my situation, I would simply ignore any such FCC law that put me at even higher risk and use a bluetooth jammer anyway. I believe in obeying the law, but with common sense being thrown in as well. Similarly, I would not chastise someone who drove 70 in a 55 zone to get a dying family member to a hospital (they should have taken an ambulance, but even if they didn't, I would not throw them to the wolves).

If it turns out enough people resort to using illegal bluetooth jammers to avoid negative consequences from Apple's AirTags, that might be time for the government to review the appropriateness of allowing Apple's technology in the first place.

I really do think that Apple has done a grave disservice to the population at large by bringing this technology to market. What was that line from Jurassic Park? "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." I don't know what Apple was thinking. Blinded by potential profits I guess.

#300546 - 12/20/21 12:24 AM Re: A Cautionary Tale [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If funny though, jamming is illegal but spamming is free speech. So someone can use a bluetooth transmitter to send enough advertisements to render a service useless but jamming the spammer isn't legal.

#300553 - 12/20/21 07:35 AM Re: A Cautionary Tale [Re: Doug_Ritter]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Scanning for those devices should be legal. Removing the device from your car should be legal as well (destroying it probably is not).
In my neck of the woods it is an option to turn the device in to the lost and found bureau or let the police get the device for evidence. If I were at risk to be harmed by a stalker, I´d prefer the latter.
Those jammers are prone to interfere with legal operation of Bluetooth devices. Authorities might not be inclined to put up with that.

BTW:
APRS allows tracking too. I can legally build and operate an APRS tranceiver. I can also buy such a transceiver without prove of license. I cannot legally use it to track someone without their consent though.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.