Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#300461 - 11/30/21 12:41 PM Re: DIY Survival Kit for the Japanese Environment [Re: amper]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Originally Posted By: amper
Originally Posted By: Ren
Japanese knife laws look to be similar to those here in the UK.

Perfectly fine to EDC a non locking folding knife with blade less than 3" (8cm in Japan)

So medium SAKs (upto 91mm) that don't lock are fine.

The limit is 6 cm. You can carry up to an 8 cm blade *if* you get a permission slip from the prefectural public safety commission. Anything larger is banned completely.

How do they measure, is it just the cutting edge? Just measured a 84mm Walker and it has a 5.5cm edge, or 6.3cm if include the ricasso.

#300465 - 11/30/21 03:51 PM Re: DIY Survival Kit for the Japanese Environment [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It is always interesting to discuss the idal components of the perfect survival kit, but the necessary items vary tremendously depending upon the situation and the society.

In earthquake country, head protection is a very good idea, regardless. In fact, I regard the construction grade hat shown in the video as minimalist -climbing or motorcycle helmets offer much greater protection. But any pro is better than none at all....

#300468 - 11/30/21 07:27 PM Re: DIY Survival Kit for the Japanese Environment [Re: Ren]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
Generally, from the hilt, which often means a lot longer than simply the cutting edge.

#300469 - 11/30/21 07:32 PM Re: DIY Survival Kit for the Japanese Environment [Re: Burncycle]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Burncycle
That sounds horrible eek

There are a lot of things about Japanese society that many Westerners would find intolerable. Japan, for instance, ranks pretty much last on the list of industrialised countries for sex/gender equality, and is at least 20 years behind the US and EU in recognition of LGBT rights.

Japan doesn't have lower levels of violent crime than other nations because Japanese people are less violent, but because Japanese culture is very homogenous and socially restrictive.

The social consequences of criminal activity are severe, and the system of criminal justice is not very well regulated. People are often detained for lengths of time without protection of their rights in ways that would never be tolerated in the US or EU.

#300470 - 11/30/21 08:31 PM Re: DIY Survival Kit for the Japanese Environment [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
No more politics here please, regarding knives or anything else.

chaosmagnet

#300471 - 11/30/21 08:45 PM Re: DIY Survival Kit for the Japanese Environment [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

We should respect chaosmagnet's call to leave out politics. Since chaos has left amper's post intact, let me say that there are many factual errors in that post. I will point out just one factual error that you can verify for yourself. Amper states that Japan is way behind on gender equality. In fact, Japan is ranked 19th in the Gender Inequality Index. The United States is ranked 46th. In other ways, Japan is better than the US for gender equality according to this international, authoritative assessment.

#300474 - 12/01/21 12:49 AM Re: DIY Survival Kit for the Japanese Environment [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have many memories (nightmares?) of my military service, 1959-1961. A most pleasant memory is my R&R from Korea, a week spent in Japan among some of the most courteous and pleasant people I have ever encountered. During that time, I made a winter ascent of Fuji-San in company with two Japanese lads I encountered on the slopes. We had no common vocabulary, but we were all climbers and all went wonderfully. Even in the winter, Fuji is non-technical, just a great hike in the snow....

I have often regretted not giving them my contact info, since I soon returned to civilian life and a relatively normal existence.

#300493 - 12/04/21 01:06 AM Re: DIY Survival Kit for the Japanese Environment [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
an important lesson on situational awareness... I was stationed on Kyushu, Japan from Dec 1970 till early 1972 when we closed the intercept site down... I was across Hakata Bay in Fukuoka, on May 1st,(and the date meant nothing to me) and noticed a commotion down the street, heard drums and bugles, and a whole lot of red banners and flags...a very polite Japanese man tugged on my arm and said that it would be better if I went inside with him.... my first experience with a JCP May Day Parade.... regards

#300500 - 12/04/21 10:44 AM Re: DIY Survival Kit for the Japanese Environment [Re: Bingley]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Bingley
We should respect chaosmagnet's call to leave out politics. Since chaos has left amper's post intact, let me say that there are many factual errors in that post. I will point out just one factual error that you can verify for yourself. Amper states that Japan is way behind on gender equality. In fact, Japan is ranked 19th in the Gender Inequality Index. The United States is ranked 46th. In other ways, Japan is better than the US for gender equality according to this international, authoritative assessment.

If you are going to call out my post for factual errors, then I feel I have the right to refute your assertion and cite my sources, which are widely publicly available:

‘ Japan's low ranking in the Global Gender Gap Index announced by the World Economic Forum on March 31 has highlighted the nation's failure to close the gender gap in the political and economic spheres.

Japan placed 120th out of 156 countries in the index, ranking behind other countries in East Asia including South Korea in 102nd place and China in 107th. ‘

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20210331/p2a/00m/0na/029000c

‘ Japan ranked a miserable 110 out of 149 in the World Economic Forum’s 2018 Gender Gap Index, which benchmarks countries on their progress toward gender parity across four major areas. While this rank is a slight improvement over 114 out of 146 in 2017, it remains the same or lower than in the preceding years (111 in 2016 and 101 in 2015). ‘

https://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/fandd/2019/03/gender-equality-in-japan-yamaguchi.htm

Edited by amper (12/04/21 10:48 AM)

#300501 - 12/04/21 03:31 PM Re: DIY Survival Kit for the Japanese Environment [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
That is the cutest survival kit I have seen.

Lots of good sanitation stuff and moral booster touches.

Are the insect repellent stickers worthwhile?

Pictures of loved ones. Reminds me of SAR colleague who kept photos of every wife and girlfriend he had ever had in his SAR pack. When he would demonstrate what was in his pack he would pull out a clear plastic multifold picture wallet that would drop down to show photos of 10 women.

While a climbing helmet or bike helmet might be better protection for side impact, the bump cap with strap could always stay with the pack, not have to be returned after each bike trip or climbing expedition. They make good basins for washing and water collecting too, better than helmets with vent holes. Add reflective stickers.

Good protection from wet weather-raincoat, umbrella, picnic ground sheet, sit pad. Must be a warm climate- fan and little insulating clothing.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 181 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.