Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#269325 - 04/21/14 08:13 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: chaosmagnet]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
When I worked downtown and depended on commuter rail to get there, I had myself a think about hoofing it home 40 miles.

I stashed a good pair of broken-in boots and some other gear in my office, but I didn't have a place to store a bike.

Assuming that the commuter rail was down and it didn't make sense to stay somewhere downtown, my preferred options were as follows:
  • Hop in a taxi and go
  • Rent a car and go
  • Buy a bicycle and go
  • Hoof it

Towards those ends, I always had credit cards and plenty of cash on hand -- enough to buy a decent hybrid bike, which was more than enough for a 40-mile cab fare. I also knew where the car rental places and bike shops were, and where cabs could be successfully hunted.

Barring massive loss of infrastructure, taxis, buses, and privately owned vehicles are still viable. Paper bus schedules and taxi listings, cash on hand, good shoes, and a comfortable pack will handle most situations. The snag will be that with an unexpected large area event (i.e. 2011 Southwest Blackout), everybody will be scrambling for the same limited resources at the same time. Since these events commonly involve loss of power, you will not be able rent a car, get cash from an atm, or use a credit card.

That is where bikes, scooters, etc. will come into play. With your office space constraint (I'm assuming you're cubical rat like me), a folding bike or scooter stored under your desk may be a good solution. The downside is that these are not cheap (~$300), and the increased speed translates to increased risk of injury.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#269326 - 04/21/14 08:41 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: Mark_R]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

[quote=Mark_RWith your office space constraint (I'm assuming you're cubical rat like me), a folding bike or scooter stored under your desk[/quote]

There are scooters small enough to fit under a desk? Are we thinking of Vespas or Razors? I've seen a Razor equipped with some sort of motor, but I don't think it's got much range or speed.

#269327 - 04/21/14 08:46 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
In almost every picture and film clip of refugees that I can remember,bicycles.If they are not being riden they have everything possible tied to it pushed along by the family.I was going to suggest a folding bike but,Mark R beat me to it.....
BOATMAN
John

#269328 - 04/21/14 08:56 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: Mark_R]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
With your office space constraint (I'm assuming you're cubical rat like me), a folding bike or scooter stored under your desk may be a good solution.

I was. A folding bike or scooter would not have been safe to leave there -- I guess I could have ridden it to and from the commuter rail station. My current job rarely requires me to go to the office; when I do I have my car. I've got much better preps in my car than I was able to have in my laptop bag and my desk at my old job.

I still want a folding bike though laugh.

#269329 - 04/21/14 08:57 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: Bingley]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Bingley
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
With your office space constraint (I'm assuming you're cubical rat like me), a folding bike or scooter stored under your desk

There are scooters small enough to fit under a desk? Are we thinking of Vespas or Razors? I've seen a Razor equipped with some sort of motor, but I don't think it's got much range or speed.

I'm thinking of adult razor style scooters. The Xootr Street is 31x9x13 inches. The Micro Sidewalker is larger at 48x8x22 inches. As best as I can figure, cruise speed is about double walking speed.

You can get folding gas powered scooters (Go-Ped makes several adult models), but I imagine that storing a greasy two stroke under your desk is frowned upon.

I've been looking at these for recreation due to an old knee injury that makes any cycling incredibly painfull. It was never really diagonosed (idiot docs and tightwad HMOs), but was probably IT band syndrome with a lot of of scar tissue complicated by feet flatter then Kansas.

Edited by Mark_R (04/21/14 09:05 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#269331 - 04/21/14 09:05 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I've seen advertised and used on TV (I think on an episode of UK Top Gear and used by James May in one of their "races") bicycles that fold up or disassemble into a smallish suitcase that can easily be carried or stored. How useful they are is a different question, but they exist.

#269335 - 04/21/14 09:24 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: boatman]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: boatman
In almost every picture and film clip of refugees that I can remember,bicycles.If they are not being riden they have everything possible tied to it pushed along by the family.I was going to suggest a folding bike but,Mark R beat me to it.....
BOATMAN
John

That reminds me of pictures of Vietcong pushing modified bikes loaded with 500 lbs of gear.
http://www.transchool.lee.army.mil/museum/transportation%20museum/vc-bike.htm

Not really relevant to a get home bag situation, but it demonstrates the amazing amount of stuff that you can transport if you don't have to lift it. I don't know what a stock bike can carry at walking speeds, but I'd be surprised if it was less then 300 lbs.

Edited by Mark_R (04/21/14 09:26 PM)

#269338 - 04/21/14 11:46 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

'Bike Friday' is one brand - they have very small wheels, so are not as smooth nor as efficient as a full sized bike, but are much faster than walking

#269339 - 04/22/14 12:00 AM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Bicycles strike me as such a basic prep for anyone contemplating "bugging out" or staying in the neighborhood in a situation where gasoline could be in short supply. They can easily be found cheap or even free (ask friends and family if they have old dusty bikes they'd like to get rid of).

We've had on ETS a few good discussions on this subject. Here's one I dredged up. I need to update my equipment list as in the past year I've picked up another bike (hybrid), dog trailer-stroller (Doggyride Novel 10) and the Burley Travoy trailer/hand-cart. I use these items regularly in daily life and am mindful of how useful they would be in some dire scenarios.

Here's one of the old threads: "Bug-Out Bike"

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.ph...true#Post187987

#269349 - 04/22/14 05:19 AM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: gonewiththewind]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Montanero, believe it or not, I have this blade on a hacksaw frame in my car tool kit. However, I never thought to use it in the fashion you suggest. Your idea is terrific. Much better I imagine than a roll up wire saw. I'm going to have to buy another one and test it's "bendability ".

Les, you also have a great idea. I've seen a simple plastic handle/frame that will hold a hacksaw blade in the same configuration. Sort of like an old fashioned "key hole saw".

However, neither alternative is a quick way to cut your way thru a chain link or razor wire fence, to effect an "escape". And escape is the idea of a master key. I've read that the SOG multitool, with its ratcheting plier/cutter is the best multi for this duty. Anyone have any real life experience?

Edited by acropolis5 (04/22/14 05:19 AM)

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.