Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#269375 - 04/23/14 01:42 AM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
"Bikepacking" seems to be increasingly popular and is relevant to this discussion. REI even has a new product section for it on their website. Seems it is mostly just new marketing of stuff they already carried but notable nonetheless.

http://www.rei.com/h/bikepacking

A lot of great information, trip reports and photographs in the Bikepacking section of the mountain bike forum. Some of these guys (it is mostly guys) are hard-core about making use of every bit of space. I'm particularly interested in the water bottle holders on the front forks and the handlebar setups that accommodate sleeping bags.

http://forums.mtbr.com/bikepacking-bike-expedition/

#269379 - 04/23/14 03:25 AM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: Mark_R]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Russ: As MarkR recounted and as I specifically stated, reference to a Master Key, was defined as a fence wire cutter, intend to effect an escape from danger. I had no thought of bicycle or any other theft. I'm sure that the other posters on the reference to a cutter were similarly intended. It's not always a great idea to jump to negative conclusions.

#269400 - 04/24/14 04:25 AM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
chickenlittle Offline

Loc: Canada
Does anybody rollerskate?
I knew a girl who said she could average more than 10 miles an hour and skate over a whole day on any paved road.
It sounds a bit extreme to me because that would be 80 miles in 8 hours.

Edited by chickenlittle (04/24/14 04:26 AM)

#269402 - 04/24/14 04:40 AM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
This idea of cutting fences and such is new to me. Has anybody here actually been in a situation where they are riding their bike and decided to cut a fence to ride through a property? Or is this all hypothetical?

#269403 - 04/24/14 05:03 AM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: acropolis5]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
acropolis - I was responding to Tjin's post prior to my last.

As for fences, I've gone through many barbed-wire fences in my years, never saw any need to cut one. Be careful, whoever owns that fence is going to be seriously PO'd.

#269404 - 04/24/14 06:19 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Barbed wire fences, you're right! I've never needed to cut one. Hog wire and hurricane fences-in some situations. Such cuts can usually be sewn back up, if there is time, such as from a wildfire.

#269413 - 04/25/14 01:21 AM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Chickenlittle,I do not think rollerskates are very practical.One con not carry much of a load and maintain balance.If you have to go overland (leave sidewalk/pavement) you will be walking.A bicycle can go either.In a disaster there may be rubble that will bring a skater to a complete and sudden stop.A pebble is all it takes and its ROADRASH city.

BOATMAN
John

#269414 - 04/25/14 01:55 AM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: ireckon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: ireckon
This idea of cutting fences and such is new to me. Has anybody here actually been in a situation where they are riding their bike and decided to cut a fence to ride through a property? Or is this all hypothetical?

This is something I have never experienced, or heard of. Even if there is a locked gate, it would be just about as easy to lift the bike and gear over most such obstacles. I have crawled though scores of barbed wire fences, however (when hiking).

Edited by hikermor (04/25/14 01:55 AM)

#269795 - 05/10/14 06:42 PM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Any bike is good - esp. if kept in good running order.

#270017 - 05/18/14 02:10 AM Re: Bikes, scooters, etc - alt. forms of transpiration [Re: Quietly_Learning]
Quietly_Learning Offline

Originally Posted By: Quietly_Learning
Originally Posted By: Montanero
If you are more limited on weight and size for your tools, here is an option for serious cutting:
Stanley Carbide Grit Rod Saw

This will cut chains and other difficult metal objects. Just tie a loop of cord into each end as a handle.

Usual disclaimer, no affiliation.

Very interesting...

For $4.00 I'll have to pick one up to try it out.
Thanks for the tip.

I had to go to the hardware store today so I picked one up. I put a split ring on each side and tried to cut a cylinder of mild steel 1/4" in diameter.

First I put my index fingers through each ring and used a sawing motion. I found the saw blade would want to bend around the cylinder if I put slight downward pressure.

I next held the saw blade in my hand and used it as a file. It was easier and quicker to cut the cylinder.

The process took a little over 5 minutes to cut through mild steel. A hardened steel lock would be considerably longer.

For the slight weight it would work in your bob but if I could hop or go around the fence instead I would.

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.