Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#300396 - 11/24/21 02:35 PM Re: un-prepping environment [Re: Bingley]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I mean, we prep in case there is an interruption to our lives. But until that happens, we live our lives, right?

Of course. In addition to preparing for things such as a food shortage or a kink in the supply chain, I'm engaged in Bible study, yardwork, and gun club meetings.

Jeanette Isabelle

#300397 - 11/24/21 02:47 PM Re: un-prepping environment [Re: Chisel]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Chisel
What I meant is that the prepper may not even have enough space left to apply his simple ideas of prepping (a pantry , a small garden, a small workshop .. etc.)

I don't have the space either. I essentially turned my bedroom into a storage closet with a bed in it. For example, I have boxes stacked in front of my shelves, blocking access to them.

Jeanette Isabelle

#300398 - 11/24/21 03:50 PM Re: un-prepping environment [Re: Chisel]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We have an opening from the basement into a crawlspace, its maybe 3' x 5'. There was just some scrap chipboard leaning over it when we moved in. I took that scrap and cut it to the size of the opening and attached hinges and a latch and then framed it inside. Then used 1x2's and made one of those can rotators on the inside of the door so when you open the door a little bit of storage is there. Then build a second can rotator and hung is on rails just inside the opening so we have a second row of cans there without taking up much space.

#300406 - 11/25/21 10:07 AM Re: un-prepping environment [Re: Eugene]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Yes, Eugene.
We have to utilize every cubic inch of space for supplies .

When you think about it, "things" are much easier to deal with than people. If you have a hammer, screwdriver, and a few pliers, "things" can be changed in the way that serves your prepping vision.

People, on the other hand, may have conflicting views and distract you from making a prep plan. Some people do not take life seriously enough, and may, for example, look at what you do superficially and laugh at it. Presenting your philosophy of prudence as a joke will expose everything you try to keep to yourself. Yes, they mean no harm, but they do more harm than good.

#300407 - 11/25/21 10:15 AM Re: un-prepping environment [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

By the way, yesterday, I was reading something and among those who commented was a person who has a page dedicated to FLAT EARTH. Out of curiosity, I visited his page and read a few posts. It helped me see clearly how people can rely on twisted logic and wrong understanding of basic math and physics. So, if someone doesn't believe in prepping, it is no big deal.

#300408 - 11/25/21 04:44 PM Re: un-prepping environment [Re: Chisel]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
take a tip from the "pros"... LDS recommends that a years worth of vacuum sealed or canned food can be stored under your bed... after watching the Wendy DeWitt LDS video, I started vacuum sealing staples (with jar adapter to my food vacuum sealer) in quart large mouth Mason/Ball jars, and storing in their original packing containers under my bed... I do maintain a month's worth of canned supplies (I try to donate to food banks as their best by date approaches)

#300412 - 11/26/21 02:49 PM Re: un-prepping environment [Re: LesSnyder]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
It's hard when no one else in your family thinks in this direction, especially for food. Trying to figure out ways to keep food on hand when you have 2 teenage boys is a pain.

For many other things I can "leverage" the boys; having two scouts make having gear that counts as "camping" gear can finesse this.
We both agree on many of the basics, having folding ladders in all upstairs bedrooms was HER idea

My wife gripes at my choices in some cases, but as most of the supplies I buy are long term ones and not crazy expensive she just rolls her eyes.. Over the years several of them have proved useful.

AMAZING how having 6 or 7 spare wool blankets can be in a 48 hour Power outage can be...LOL...

#300417 - 11/26/21 04:55 PM Re: un-prepping environment [Re: LCranston]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I still remember a work colleague invited a number of friends for dinner. Cooking gas was suddenly interrupted, and cooking was virtually impossible. A few of his friends brought their camping stoves and everything was cooked on them. He was happy telling us what happened the next day.

So, yes, prepping items can be sneaked in under different labels. And it is prudent to do so.

#300427 - 11/27/21 02:54 PM Re: un-prepping environment [Re: LCranston]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: LCranston
It's hard when no one else in your family thinks in this direction, especially for food. Trying to figure out ways to keep food on hand when you have 2 teenage boys is a pain.

For many other things I can "leverage" the boys; having two scouts make having gear that counts as "camping" gear can finesse this.
We both agree on many of the basics, having folding ladders in all upstairs bedrooms was HER idea

My wife gripes at my choices in some cases, but as most of the supplies I buy are long term ones and not crazy expensive she just rolls her eyes.. Over the years several of them have proved useful.

AMAZING how having 6 or 7 spare wool blankets can be in a 48 hour Power outage can be...LOL...

Boy, this could be my post. Though my kids are < 10.

I've got a half-shelf in the basement store room with about 10 #10 cans of Mtn house, along with about 10 cans of fruits and 10 cans of meats. Also about 6 MRE's and about 30 lifeboat ration types. Plus 6 cases of water.

It's not much, but it's stable.

Our camping stuff also fills dual roles. Both cars have a few blankets, which come in pretty handy in fall when the temps drop quick as the sun goes down and we're STILL at some sort of God-awfully-long-kids-practice ...

I used to have a friend that was uber-prep, but TBH he was kind of "jump from one good idea to the next." Suddenly he was into guns and buying the cheapest thing that went 'bang' that he could, then he was a gunsmith with a dremel and wood-burning kit... His food preps were ok, but he was big into cast iron (I guess that makes you a mountain man?) and I had to talk him off the ledge about gas masks for the entire family.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 283 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.