Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#300382 - 11/23/21 04:16 PM un-prepping environment
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Some of the most joyous videos I see on YouTube are those when a prepper, bushcrafter, outdoor enthusiast, or family handyman is joined by his spouse and kids doing things together. On the other side of the spectrum, there are people who do their thing alone, and their surrounding people are neutral or even negative.

Take for example, a person surrounded by people arguing about the bathroom and kitchen tiles not being fashionable these days, and having to replace them, when the guy's brain is grinding thoughts about how small their pantry is and having to scan the house (almost like a CT-scan) to find any space for another secondary pantry to prep for the supply chain mess. This is not to mention how the additional (unnecessary) home improvement projects they want are putting extra burden on the finances ...

As a prepper, do you have support from surrounding people?
If not, does it add a burden on you ?
Do it affect your prepping efficiency/effectiveness ?

And, how do you deal with it ??

#300383 - 11/23/21 06:22 PM Re: un-prepping environment [Re: Chisel]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Chisel
As a prepper, do you have support from surrounding people?

Both Mom and I are preppers.

Jeanette Isabelle

#300384 - 11/23/21 06:33 PM Re: un-prepping environment [Re: Chisel]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I don't think of myself as a "prepper," but more as "prudent," being aware of likely events, and being ready for them. My darling wife, to whom I am completely devoted, spends less time on readiness affairs, and we don't always have the same priorities, but we always work things out. After all, we live in earthquake country, where planning is vital.....

#300387 - 11/23/21 10:42 PM Re: un-prepping environment [Re: Chisel]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've had to combine both. For example a place where my son kicked holes in the wall that it was so bad it was easier to just replace the whole wall and instead of finishing it, I put a piece of paneling and made an accent wall.

#300389 - 11/24/21 01:04 AM Re: un-prepping environment [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
It’s taken some time but I have pretty full support from my immediate family.

Beyond that, I don’t talk about being a prepper much. Close friends, EDC Forums (where I am also known as chaosmagnet) and here.

#300391 - 11/24/21 02:34 AM Re: un-prepping environment [Re: Chisel]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I'm not a "prepper." To me, emergency preparedness is just common sense. I don't really talk about it except on a forum like this. I don't hide it, but it's just that there are far more interesting things I could be talking about. I mean, we prep in case there is an interruption to our lives. But until that happens, we live our lives, right?

I have seen a family where a member sabotaged their preparation. The wife took preparation seriously, but the husband would destroy her work because he got such a kick out of hurting her. Perhaps this is the sort of situation that Chisel has in mind?

#300392 - 11/24/21 09:44 AM Re: un-prepping environment [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks everyone. I am not exactly a prepper either, but I use these labels loosely to indicate mental and psychological inclinations. I watch videos of bushcrafting and homesteading because I like that way of life. Homesteading seems closer to what I am , but I don't raise chickens or rabbits. LOL. So, only I may best be described as "marginal prepper". LOL

In our coming house project, we are installing 8 air conditioning units around the upper floor of the house , and I am putting my brain in turbo mode to come up with a plan to harvest the expected "artifical rain" from those AC units , and use it for gardening.

This is the kind of McGyverizing and homesteading I am mostly interested in.

#300393 - 11/24/21 09:47 AM Re: un-prepping environment [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
Both Mom and I are preppers.

Jeanette Isabelle

I am happy for you.
We always need someone, and if that someone is mom, it is an ideal situation. The bond with our mothers is like no other bond.

#300394 - 11/24/21 10:08 AM Re: un-prepping environment [Re: Bingley]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
I have seen a family where a member sabotaged their preparation. The wife took preparation seriously, but the husband would destroy her work because he got such a kick out of hurting her. Perhaps this is the sort of situation that Chisel has in mind?

Well, Bingley, I do have an interest in reading about personality types like MBTI 16 types , and narcissists.. etc, so I feel tempted to ask for more details about the husband and his reaction. But this may make a detour in the thread.

I agree with you about living our lives and not taking prepping into addiction mode. What I meant is that the prepper may not even have enough space left to apply his simple ideas of prepping (a pantry , a small garden, a small workshop .. etc.) because others never think of any lifestyle exists outside of the blind consumerist lifestyle.

So there is a conflict here. They may ridicule the purchase of some tools, but will not blink when they ask for changing the living room sofas or painting the whole house; not because of anything dysfunctional, but because it is not fashionable anymore, or maybe just feeling envy of other who have done it.

#300395 - 11/24/21 01:31 PM Re: un-prepping environment [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I have seen a family where a member sabotaged their preparation.

I've been slowly, methodically and deliberately cutting toxic people out of my life. So far, it feels great.

While Mrs. Magnet and I have our disagreements around prepping, we've always been able to solve them amicably and without this sort of toxic behavior. I'm very grateful for her.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.