Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#300378 - 11/22/21 01:15 AM Re: Leatherman Bond - anybody have one? [Re: haertig]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: haertig
I wish Leatherman would make multi-tools that do not have blades. I never use those. I always carry a separate knife which is light years ahead of the non-ergonomic things found in multi-tools.

I generally think of multitool blades as a backup rather than a go-to. Good to have, but not used constantly. I have cheaper and reasonably capable beater folders for most of the abuse.

I seem to recall a "knifeless Fuse" back when Leatherman was doing the Zytel handle inserts in the Kick/Fuse/Blast lineup.

#300379 - 11/22/21 03:53 AM Re: Leatherman Bond - anybody have one? [Re: Ren]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Ren
The Rebar EDC doesn't have a blade.

Thanks. I looked that up. Didn't see the EDC model, but I did fine "Knifeless Rebar". Maybe they just name it different here.

My reason for wanting one of these (other than the blade that I just never use), was for airline travel. I pretty much always fly "carry-on only" and don't check baggage. So I wanted something I could have in my pocket on the plane that would make it past the security check. I see the Knifeless Rebar does have a saw on it, and I don't know if that would get past security or not. It doesn't really matter now though. I rarely fly anymore, and when I do, I no longer go that that old destination where I felt the need to have a multi-tool. Other destinations that I go to now I no longer feel the need. But thanks for the heads up. I will check into the saw thing, and may buy that Rebar anyway, just in case I need a multi-tool again while flying carry-on only.

#300380 - 11/22/21 01:05 PM Re: Leatherman Bond - anybody have one? [Re: dougwalkabout]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The Knifeless Rebar will not make it through TSA security checkpoints.

I have carried the Leatherman Style PS on hundreds of flights. The only flight that it didn’t make it onto was in a foreign country, where I saw the security person’s face light up with joy as he put it in his own pocket. A small price, that I paid without complaint.

#300381 - 11/22/21 02:11 PM Re: Leatherman Bond - anybody have one? [Re: chaosmagnet]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
The Knifeless Rebar will not make it through TSA security checkpoints.

Agreed. The saw and awl are both red flags. I found it easier (back when air travel was a thing) to carry small individual tools like tiny needle nose pliers and paramedic shears with the bottom "foot" cut off.

#300433 - 11/28/21 08:50 AM Re: Leatherman Bond - anybody have one? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Acropolis50 Offline
Journeyman

For many years I happily EDCed a LM XE-6, with a Vic eyeglass screwdriver added to the corkscrew. A spring on the file broke and I sent it to LM for repair or replacement.

They honored their warranty by telling me the XE-6 was no longer in production and no longer supported for repairs. So they kept the broken tool and sent me , as a replacement, a brand new Wave+ and case.

Now that was more than fair on their part and I applaud their customer relations and warranty service. But I miss my XE-6 and the Wave + is over 2 oz. heavier and much bulkier than my old XE-6. Just a bit too heavy & bulky for comfortable pocket carry in an office environment.. Albeit, I have been carrying it. It is a great tool.

Anyway, after some research , I figured out that the old discontinued LM Blast was the closet in weight and tools to the XE-6. It was slim too . I just bought one on E-bay , advertised as “mint” & “unused” , with sheath, for $75 plus shippping. Too much, but they seem to be very popular on the secondary market.

Maybe LM will sprint run the XE-6 and bring the Blast back into their regular lineup , as a sort of “ Gentleman’s ( or woman’s) Tool? I’m sure LM reads all posts on their projects. How about some of you post the same same production call?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.